Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by littleRedPanda, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

It was posted on the Hamerton Instagram page on Friday but now seems to have disappeared.

In the comments it mentioned that whatever it was is going to be announced in a couple of weeks once settled in and it's a mammal

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Bet it's a marsupial. Something furry at any rate.

Zooreviewsuk likes this.
  3. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The website has also announced that a Zoo History Museum is being planned for opening in 2019. The museum will contain historical material gifted to the zoo by the Independent Zoo Enthusiasts Society, who had a meet there on 7/7/2018.

Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Jul 2018
  4. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I have been umming and ahhhing over whether or not to join IZES, but I really wish I had done so and had gone to that meet up! (It would also have gotten me out of the school residential weekend where I nearly got sun stroke!)

5. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Went to Hamerton today, review to follow.

They had a new exhibit which wasn't fenced off early in the day and a few went and in saw what the new species is, myself included.

Given the park haven't announced it, I would presume it's not okay to say what it is on here ? I got some photo's of the one that was visible but think there were 2 or 3 in there. Loads of developments are ongoing as well.

For those wondering what will become of the empty Tiger exhibit, it will be more tigers in due course.

I'll put my review up overnight, but just seeking clarification if it's okay to say what's in the new exhibit in the review, or best not to?

6. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where is the new exhibit? Am visiting next Sunday so would be nice to know where I'm looking :)

7. Zooreviewsuk

Opposite the Meerkatsand the Cheetah pen that was built but never held Cheetah's, only Swamp Wallaby's, by 11am it was fenced off. I think the keeper feeding them, forgot to put the wooden posts across and therefore it looked like a walkway into a section of the zoo, so you could be forgiven walking it.

Basically you walk along a wooden decked pathway, which climbs past an aviary on the left and then you come face to face with a mesh fence, and a lower section, with holes for the animal to get through and then the upper part which is is all bark and dirt and where the animal/animals were. As you get to the end, there are spy holes to the inside part, which were covered up still.

It then exits out into a section which is completely fenced off where they are doing a massive new Exhibit for the Meerkats and by the version, I would not be surprised if Aardvark were also planned to go in that section judging by the builds.

Also by the Gibbons they are going up a number of shipping crates, like they did for the Malayan Tigers and it looks as if that section is being created into a walkway exhibit with something in the middle.

The Javan Binturong are as you enter the park but opposite the Gibbons there are doing up two sides of an enclosure and it has rope bridges and ledges and it would not surprise me if the Javan Binturong move there in due course. They have 3 on show, but also have more off show.

They plan to build a nocturnal house as well and are fund raising for that at present.

I think planning to move the entrance was turned down, and what a conversation I had with someone today, it would appear there is a long term plan to have a Cheetah drive through at some stage in the future.

The possums were not on show at present but still at the park. The Cassowary are pretty much offshow with the design of their exhibit, but are labelled on the Park Map and if you're lucky they can be seen behind the Flamingo's but not today that's for sure!

There is also only one maned wolf now and he/she wasn't about and the Jackal's exhibit is so overgrown with long grass, that any chance of seeing one in the distance such is the design of the exhibit and placement is practically nil at present.

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would suggest not to, just because as you say it hasn’t been officially announced by the zoo yet. The fact the mods have removed said posts talking about the species means it’s probably not ready to be talked about just yet.

Brum likes this.
  9. Zooreviewsuk

Thanks ShonenJake13, I wont include it, as don't wish to upset anyone. Must admit I couldn't contain my excitement when I saw what it was. I literally just watched it for 10 minutes, taking photo's, it has always been an animal I've always wanted to see in the flesh and never thought I would, made me really happy and will definitely be a massive crowd puller.

pipaluk and migdog like this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yeah, as Jake said we're playing things safe :) hopefully the exhibit will be ready soon enough!

Zooreviewsuk and ShonenJake13 like this.
  11. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I notice someone has added them to Zootierliste, though.

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They've been removed now!

BeakerUK and Zooreviewsuk like this.
  13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

'......imagination/wishful thinking goes into overdrive!'

14. pipaluk

You're a day late, you wouldn't have needed any imagination yesterday!

14556 and Brum like this.
  15. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m planning on heading over on Friday, am I correct in understanding that the animals in question are off-show and they zooreviews sighting was something of a happy accident?

16. pipaluk

Yes, they are still offshow for at least a few more weeks

17. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Then I’ll be dutifully dividing my time between the grison and the invisible aardwolf casting feverish glances at the fenced off area. I was lucky enough to be online when the post revealing the species was made and I’m ecstatic!

migdog and pipaluk like this.
  18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm going Sunday and will be constantly be looking for a gap in the fence.

pipaluk likes this.
  19. Zooreviewsuk

Billeel, It's not near the Southern Aardwolf, they are by the Fox which also isn't keen on showing it's face.

Sadly unless you go into the wooden structure you wont see the animal, as it's all fenced off completely.

My guess is the planned opening will be on World Tiger day. They are also building the new Possum enclosure and finishing the other aviary so I would have guessed the 29th July is possible.

20. Zooreviewsuk

There is one gap, where they are building the new Meerkat / Aardvark (I don't know they are getting these but the structures would suggest they are) enclosure, around by the small Tamarins, you May glimpse into the building there, but given they were playing in the dirt / bark at the back, I doubt you'll catch a glimpse.