Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by littleRedPanda, 3 Jan 2018.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it's the Eastern Aardwolf opposite the Corsac Fox? I think the Southern Aardwolf is next to the pudu/sulcata tortoise enclosure

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Can't we use patience and respect Hamerton's desire to announce it when they are ready?

KevinVar, ShonenJake13 and Brum like this.
  3. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Builds the suspense! I’m surprised the corsac foxes give anyone trouble, every time I’ve been recently they’ve been teasing the cheetahs.

4. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I thought was the other way round. The white one (Southern) opposite Corsac fox and the dark one (the one I got pictures of) was by the Pudu (seriously cute baby at present) which I believe was the Eastern one.

5. Zooreviewsuk

Been so hot lately you'll be lucky to see a Cheetah, they are right at the back of the visible enclosure in the shade and under the trees in the other 2 enclosures which are technically on show, there are of course another 2/3 enclosures which are off show (one behind the Malayan Tigers, although this is empty and the others over the back fields by the main Cheetah enclosures and then the other one in the paddock behind the Donkey and Zebra. They hold 15 Cheetahs, and there is only 6/7 which are on show, but only two visible unless you have a strong lens camera or binoculars.

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last time I'm sure there were 2 Aardwolf opposite the Fox, the Southern is the only one left in Europe, so must be in the other enclosure I think

7. Zooreviewsuk

Okay must be that the white one is a Eastern one, and the Southern one by the Pudu.

There are 2 opposite the Corsac Fox, not that I saw either bar a white leg and tail sticking out the hut for all of about 10 seconds !

They had incorrect signs outside each exhibit then !

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Southern aardwolf is by the pudu, a pair of eastern aardwolf are opposite the foxes.

9. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

The first time I visited Hamerton, I got nice views of the southern wandering around. On all subsequent visits I have not had more than a glimpse, but I usually see both the eastern sprawled out, sleeping on the grass.

10. littleRedPanda

I've noticed the southern aardwolf has been sleeping outside for spells recently, but usually goes back in within my short visits.

11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

As TLD says, we are just being cautious and courteous here, Hamerton, so far as I know, have expresses no opinion on the matter.

12. Zooreviewsuk

Hamerton Zoo Park

Hamerton have uploaded a new post on Facebook.

I'm not sure this relates to the new exhibit as those animals were already at the Zoo, more than a couple of days ago. But a picture of a couple of wooden crates on Facebook.

13. Zooreviewsuk

Yes it's not the Australian Outback Aviary the clues are for on Facebook.

It looks like it's the exhibit I was saying about it being worked on, opposite the Gibbons. That looked the only exhibit which was nearly finished awaiting new animals.

The clues on Facebook look very much like Red Panda's :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

Red pandas are usually in open-topped exhibits. That’s not to say it isn’t red pandas, because it’s definitely red and furry, but it would be an odd enclosure choice! Assuming it is for those enclosures anyway.

15. Zooreviewsuk

That's true and there was no other exhibits looking close to ready bar that one.

The only other thought was a Red Squirrel but the exhibit is not design in that way, but the crates would be the right size for a Red Panda.

I'm hoping when they build the big Nocturnal house, they may one day get Quokka's with their link ups with Australia.

16. littleRedPanda

There might be a clue in the stamp partly obscured by the lady's head in the photo

17. Zooreviewsuk

@littleRedPanda

Yes, noticed that. The only Australian gingery animal which is fury I could think of is a Quoll. Which could suit the exhibit being created as it's similar to the Tayra's setup.

18. Zooreviewsuk

Or a Numbat ....

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Much as I would love to see a Numbat, I suspect that the first-ever individual outside of Australia wouldn't come to Hamerton :p

bongorob and Brum like this.
  20. Zooreviewsuk

Why not, they have the first species of other Australian animals before any other park ? They also have a big link up with Australian Zoo's because of their Cheetah program. I would say if any Zoo was likely to display rare Australian animals not found anywhere else in Europe I would say it was Hamerton.

pipaluk likes this.