Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by littleRedPanda, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

They are in with the Swamp Wallaby in the enclosure which was once designed as a Cheetah pen but has never had them in.

2. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What's a Black pademelon? Tasmanian? (the photo labelled as Black pademelon on the website is definitely Swamp wallaby)

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love the amount of Australian animals coming here recently from wombats to little blue penguins. Can I hope for platypus? :p

4. Zooreviewsuk

Doubt it !

They have 3/4 more Australian Native animals which they are building exhibits for at present. This is the route the zoo is taking as they have some big links in Australia due to the Cheetah program they are running with some Australian Parks and Zoo's. Sad to say however Koala's are ruled out because of the upkeep cost, but I would expect a few more announcements in the next year that's for sure.

Sand Cat likes this.
  5. Zooreviewsuk

When the Nocturnal house is completed next year things could be interesting ;)

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Sorry to contradict you but no they are not in with the Swamp Wallaby,they are being kept separate as they are a different sub-species of Swamp Wallaby,as they want to keep the 2 lines separate and pure!

7. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

Hamerton have two groups of swamp wallaby, from different parts of their range. Both supposedly looking quite different, and being kept separate. Black pademelon is just another name used for the second subspecies. So quite the opposite as to what was stated above, the ‘black pademelons’ and swamp wallabies are purposefully being kept apart!

Edit: oops, beaten to the punch by @zoogiraffe

Mehdi likes this.
  8. Zooreviewsuk

Oh okay, thanks for that. They may want to remove the sign from the exhibit then !

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see, thanks for the explanation! :)

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is, of course, very exciting news that Hamerton have acquired tiger quoll and I am looking forward to seeing them in due course,

However, despite the claim that these are the first in the UK for one hundred and forty-six years, a quick check of the Zoologcal Society of London Annual Reports confirmed my suspicion that London Zoo had the species in living memory.

The ZSL Annual Report for 1959 lists two specimens arriving that year.

EDIT:- the website has now been changed to read "....the first to be seen in Britain for almost sixty years...."

Last edited: 13 Jul 2018
    Crowthorne, Zorro, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Were they on show to the public?

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

For the record, the following has been passed onto me with the request that I post it to this thread in order to clarify matters both in terms of the identification of the animals in question, and the photographs present on the website:

Our original Swamp Wallabies (Wallabia bicolor) came from Texas via the Czech Republic, and look identical to those found in other UK and continental collections. They have bred, but only produced males so far. A slewed sex ratio is often an early sign of inbreeding – so we imported new blood from Queensland. Three animals came (1.2) and proved to be very different in colour and only just over half the size of the originals. All Swamps are nervous until settled in, and then become very bold. The new ones are still hiding most of the time which is why we missed them on 7th, so I have used an Australian photo on the web-site. All other pictures are of ours, and we will replace this one as soon as we get something suitable.

We are using the names ‘Northern Swamp Wallaby’ and ‘Black Pademelon’ to differentiate the two. ‘Northern’ because they are, and ‘Black Pademelon’ because this is a commonly used name in the south of Australia.

In other words, the "Black Pademelon" are the original stock and the "Northern Swamp Wallaby" are the new stock.

13. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The wild zebra finches have been moved to a holding aviary adjacent to the new walkthrough Outback Aviary and next week they will be released into the aviary along with the wild budgerigars.

The zebra finch aviary will be empty for a week or two while it is revamped and will then become home to a flock of Gouldian finches coming from a local private breeder in early August.

More information is included in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Kifaru Bwana, giant_anteater and Brum like this.
  14. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Zootierliste lists this collection as having tiger quolls. Is that true?

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Read this very thread, a page or so ago, to find out the answer :p

Chlidonias, ShonenJake13 and pipaluk like this.
  16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

their Facebook declares Outback Aviary will be open from Friday

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  17. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wombats as well! :D

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Zooreviewsuk

They are in the Outback Aviary (albeit out the back)

19. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So out the back of the outback aviary then? That's a bit of a mouthful!

Hoping to get to Hamerton this year, the species this place gets never cease to astound me!

20. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to see the new “Outback Aviary”, and the associated Wombat enclosure, yesterday. They are really nicely done, with the walk-through aviary a definite highlight of the zoo, and the Wombat exhibit well put-together. The quality of the design and finish represents something of a step up for Hamerton and, alongside the very nicely done complex of Quoll enclosures, and the fairly recent enclosures for various mid-sized carnivores, indicates that the zoo is most definitely on an upward trajectory.