Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by littleRedPanda, 3 Jan 2018.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did you see a Wombat or Quoll?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes, both! The Wombats are easily visible in their burrow (there are flaps to pull back to allow this); the Quolls were in their house, and despite there being a temporary covering on the windows could be seen through this.

Kifaru Bwana, pipaluk and Brum like this.
  4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks, time for another visit soon then!

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Got myself a cryin', talkin', sleepin', walkin', livin' quoll

She's just a devil wombat
    With evil on her mind
    Beware the devil wombat
    She's gonna get you

bongorob, BeakerUK, Sand Cat and 4 others like this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can't stand Cliff Richard, but this really made me laugh. Bravo Dassie rat, bravo! :D

KevinVar likes this.
  7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you're getting mixed up here with Drop Bears, the Koala's more interesting cousin.

8. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I have just got back from a week on holiday in Yorkshire and was hoping for a fairly relaxing week this week, but now I think I may be doing a day trip across the country to Hamerton one day :)

9. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at Hamerton yesterday and I've always loved the place, but WOW, their recent additions have taken my breath away! Rather than do a detailed review I'll post a summary of my experiences of some of my favourite animals and those I hadn't seen before, with a few other thoughts at the end.

*Wombats - My first 'lifer' of the day! I saw one pacing in the main enclosure and the other in the burrows. I think their exhibit, and the 'Outback Aviary' as a whole, are excellent and I agree with a past post that it represents a step up for Hamerton. I liked the little peep-holes in the wombat burrows as well. Although still pretty basic in design, the enclosure is a lot more attractive than the usual Hamerton style.
    *Spotted Tiger Quolls - Not a great viewing unfortunately but I did see one out so a second 'lifer' for me there! Stunning little animals, and a pretty good enclosure too. Indoor viewing is still covered for now. Models of Aussie carnivores past and present on a corner of one enclosure, with labels explaining the risks facing them was a nice little touch.
    *Serval - Probably my best ever viewing of one of these cats which was in the main paddock and appeared to be hunting. Previously they've usually been in the small compound where photography is nearly impossible, so it was good to be able to get some good shots.
    *Tigers - Excellent views of the male Malayan Tiger thanks to a photography group going round; meat was being chucked into the enclosure so they could get action shots. I camped by the glass near the pool and probably got a better view to be honest! I like the murals in the Tiger Tunnel and the Malayan Tiger viewing areas, especially the paintings of Blizzard & Ladybelle in the former. I got a good sighting of both white tigers as well, one of whom was being fed for the camera club.
    *Tayra - Saw a mother and two youngsters, all of which were VERY active!
    *Oncilla - Two animals seen both times I went round, seemed less timid than on previous visits when they were in their old enclosures. They didn't even seem that bothered by a child banging on the glass.
    *Binturongs - Fantastic views of the Javan trio near the entrance who were very playful and very cute! I didn't see the animals sharing an exhibit with the otters all day though.
    *Aardwolf - Saw the one near the Pudu sleeping outside, and the two near the foxes were also out, and briefly active late in the afternoon when they were being fed.
    *Jaguarundi - A brief sighting of two specimens in adjacent pens after 4pm.
    *Greater Grison - Another species I'd never seen before, and I feared that wouldn't change, but on the third visit to the enclosure I was greeted by a little furry face peering out of a barrel. I ended up seeing two charging around their enclosure. Absolutely stunning animals, brilliant!
    *Raccoons - Good viewing in the late afternoon, with the gorgeous blonde animal briefly appearing before vanishing into their tree trunk.
    *Corsac Foxes - They've always been my favourites at Hamerton, and I saw several out, but only late in the day. As usual they were running around making it very hard to guess how many of them there are!
    *Rusty Spotted Cats - My final 'first' of the day, one emerged shortly before 5pm and after seeming very cautious at first, ended up posing pretty much in the centre of the enclosure. I saw some animals in the enclosure behind this one but couldn't get a good enough view to identify them; more Rusty Spotteds possibly? May have been a youngster in there as they seemed quite playful?

Not many no-shows for me, but I didn't see the possums, Maned Wolf, or Collared Lemurs. No sign of the Jackals either but not even sure they're properly on display anymore, although I did see a label I wasn't 100% sure which enclosure it was referring to?

I had a fantastic day and went away believing that Hamerton may well be the UK's top zoo for unusual species. The newer exhibits are all really good and whilst the zoo retains its rustic charm, there is clearly more emphasis on presentation with some of the newer exhibits. If anyone hasn't seen all of the new animals yet, I would highly recommend a visit. I almost dread to think what will be next... actually I'm quite excited to find out!

I think I've covered most of the really interesting species, but if anyone has any questions about anything I haven't mentioned, please ask and I'll try to answer if I can!

10. BeakerUK

Am at Hamerton - impulse diversion on the way home from Norfolk as This is one of my favourite zoos. Where are the jackals?

11. littleRedPanda

You probably wont see them; beyond the white tigers, in the overgrown enclosure

KevinVar likes this.
  12. Sand Cat

Is that the one between the white tigers and Maned Wolves? To be honest I got confused about where the jackals were!

13. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes it is. I visited today and didn't see them.
    Very impressed with the new Australian aviary and wombat enclosure, as well as the new quoll enclosure. Both are a step up from the general exhibit quality at Hamerton which can be lacking at times. Further building work is going on near the anteaters, unsure what for. Overall a good visit despite a few no shows. Hamerton does appear to be rapidly improving, which encourages me to visit again soon.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Aug 2018
    Sand Cat likes this.
  14. littleRedPanda

That'll be the nocturnal house and meerkat enclosure ... which makes you wonder what will replace their existing space :)

15. BeakerUK

Well that was another lovely visit. I wasn't entirely sure if I was looking in the right place for the jackals, but I didn't see them anywhere. Also didn't see the quolls or grisson and a few others, but I spent a wonderful time watching one of the wombats (and am also very impressed with the whole aviary), saw the raccoons for the first time there, saw the otters for the first time there and got some excellent photos (AT LAST!) of one of the rusty spotted cats - this has taken me years and has become something of a personal quest!

There is work going on near the giant anteater as mentioned (incidentally, this is the only giant anteater I ever see active - I don't have great luck with them!) and also in the middle by the Lar gibbons.

I have never been when it was so busy - I have always previously been there at opening time and parked near the entrance. Today we were in an overflow field (which did at least mean I finally remembered to see the zebra) as it was very busy. I was pleased that it still did not feel crowded around the zoo, though, and I still had various places to myself, including the servals (who were very active out in their paddock) and the oncilla / rusty spotted cat area.

The Southern aardvark was sleeping outside in plain view in their enclosure, I saw (briefly) a swamp cavey for the first time as it scurried across the back of the enclosure, and I apparently have a talent for seeing large tortoises mating - first Twycross when I did the photography course, and today at Hamerton!

I have visited 5 zoos (4 of them new ones for me) over 3 days and saved myself the long journey over to Hamerton which I was going to do next week. I am shattered now, but off to Monkey World for a short break tomorrow, so no rest yet.

Brum likes this.
  16. Sand Cat

Well done on seeing the Rusty Spotted Cats - aren't they gorgeous? I agree about the Outback Aviary and the Wombats, its a really nice exhibit. I could have stayed and watched a wombat for ages, but too many other nice animals to see!

How many Servals did you see? I only saw one last week, and wasn't sure if that was all they had, so pleased if there are more.

Oddly the tortoises always seem to be mating when I go to Hamerton, they were at it on Friday afternoon as well!

17. littleRedPanda

I think there are still four, after the father of the youngsters died recently. One of the youngsters is a couple of years older I believe and is kept separate from mum and the two one year olds(ish).

KevinVar likes this.
  18. BeakerUK

There were two servals out and about in the paddock this afternoon, but that's not to say there aren't more. I remember a couple of years ago enjoying watching a keeper in a distant "off show" enclosure going in to play with a serval.

19. littleRedPanda

From facebook
    It is with great sadness we have to announce the passing of Jack our Maned Wolf due to his old age.
    Jack had a great life here at the zoo raising two litters of young with his partner Jaffa helping his species.
    Everyone who met him instantly fell in love with him and he certainly got spoilt by his keepers in his later years!
    We will miss you Jack!

I think he was the last Maned Wolf at Hamerton.

20. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He was indeed. A sad loss, he was a very friendly animal.