Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park hamerton visit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by anidude, 21 Jun 2012.

1. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

hi i am going to hamerton for the first time in a couple of years are there any must sees that you would recommend seeing and what is the new red river hog complex like

thank you all

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not sure the RRH enclosure is open yet - in my opinion, there are three must-see species at the zoo.

1) Oncilla - the only ones in the UK.
    2) Southern Aardwolf - the zoo holds both subspecies of aardwolf, but it is the only collection left in Europe, possibly the world, with the southern ssp.
    3) Jaguarundi - one of only two collections in the UK with this species.

Also highly to be recommended is the Bengal Slow Loris, the only on-show ones in the UK, along with peculiarities such as the eastern aardwolf, binturong and black-backed jackal.

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Don't forget the only Northern Mountain Viscachas in a UK zoo, and one of only two groups in European zoos. Always a favourite of mine.

4. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

im back from my visit and i saw most things didnt see the hogs but then as they said on facebook they arent there now couldnt see either tigers looks like they need a good mow in there though as with the maned wolves , jackals and foxes maybe the cheetah also didnt see any zebra and they arent on the map given in the guidebook but apart from that a good zoo with some minor changes needed still

pictures to follow

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

You wouldn't have seen the zebra as they are currently housed off-show away from the main zoo site.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The zebras were visible (or at least bits of them were - there's a screened-off fence!) from the grass car park (adjoining the donkey paddocks) on the 5th of this month.

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thats where they were when i visited in March too.

8. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can anyone tell me what birds are in the new aviaries aviaries please, the tall ones near the porcupines?