Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo carnivores

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hunting dogs, 29 Mar 2015.

1. Hunting dogs

Hunting dogs Well-Known Member

Can anybody give me the following information:

(1) Location of new pair of Indian tigers? I only saw the old pair when I visited last week.

(2) When will Malayan tigers arrive and what zoo will they come from?

(3) Names, sexes and ages of adult cheetahs at the zoo? I only saw 3 adults this time, compared with 7 in September 2008, and think they are Bash and his females Clio and Talli (all 3 together in main enclosure by foxes). I saw the cheetah cubs Jana and Barney between the marmoset house and the tortoises - a keeper told me they are 8 months old, so this would mean they are from Talli's litter from August 2014? I assume they had to be hand-raised because otherwise they would not have been separated from their mother? Did any of Clio's cubs born in November or December (conflicting dates) survive and if so, where are they? Are there any other adult cheetahs at the zoo at the moment? Also, which of Talli's cubs were sent to Wingham Wildlife Park in Kent - Kikay, Asha or Zafia? I know 2 of them went there.

(4) Location of aardwolf/tayra/oncilla/rusty-spotted cat exhibit. I saw the pair of eastern aardwolves lying together in the sunshine opposite the foxes, but did not see anyone in the other aardwolf enclosure, which contains the southern subspecies - anybody know how many are supposed to be in there?

(5) Names, ages and sexes of jaguarundis. I saw a brown coloured cat in one enclosure and 2 cats in the second (one brown and one red).

(6) Are the black-backed jackals still present (no sign of them last week)? I saw 8 jackals in September 2008 which I assume were parents and their offspring.

(7) Corsac foxes - I saw 10 of these in 2008 but only 3 last week. Any idea of their names, sexes and ages? The foxes seem to breed very well - 3 litters were born in 2013!

(8) Are the maned wolves currently at the zoo the breeding pair Jaffa and Jack? I saw 2 wolves here in 2008 and another 2 in a different enclosure nearby. I know that the brothers Zorro and Pedro died at the age of 10 in 2014 - where did they live?

(9) Finally, is the lar gibbon called Benjamin still alive? I know he had his 55th birthday on 28th August 2011 and wonder if he is approaching 60?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Why not try e-mailing the zoo the worse they can do,is just ignore your e-mail or send one back saying sorry but we do not give that info out!

Also you do have to remember that the reason numbers could have changed,is that they may have sent some to other collections,which I know Hamerton do very often or they have died for any number of reasons!

Having just re-read your post may i suggest that you read the other Hamerton threads as a few of your questions,are answered there,and if you check the gallery you might even find more than a few answers to some of your other questions!

Last edited: 29 Mar 2015
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You'd be better off aiming some of these questions at the collection itself, but I'll give it a crack:

1) The new pair of (non-subspecific, not Indian) tigers are in a new house accessible from just beyond the tunnel which leads under the tiger paddocks.

2) Some point in the future, beyond that no information released.

3) Not a clue.

4) There is a single male Southern Aardwolf in the enclosure you cite; his brother (now deceased) used to live in the enclosure which now contains the two cheetah cubs. The tayra, oncilla and rusty cats are all in a complex of small carnivore enclosures which are still under construction and have therefore not fully opened - only the tayra enclosure is accessible to the public. These enclosures are, roughly speaking, behind the old tiger house.

5) Not a clue.

6) I do not know if they are still present; I last saw them in April 2014, at which point there were 3 ageing individuals in the collection.

7) Not a clue; they breed so prolifically that I actually suspect they won't all have names :p

8) Not a clue.

9) Not a clue.