Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pipaluk, 11 Jan 2015.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Another nice bit of news; the collection has just announced the birth of a Canadian Lynx!

This is, I believe, a UK first breeding :) as well as being the first time in three years that a Canadian Lynx has been born in Europe.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Ailouros

Ailouros Member

Very easy indeed - though I caught just a brief glimpse of the rusty-spotted which is very shy like many of the smaller cats. This is why I usually go on quiet days! The oncilla was much bolder and came right up to the glass - also sat upright with front paws off the ground in bear-like fashion, a behaviour I have seen described in the closely related Geoffroy's Cat. This happened whilst I was photographing the other specimen, I missed it and my mate told me! I will be back soon on a quieter day in hope of more.

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I could just see the baby lynx in the middle of the inner enclosure today :)
    Also, saw the baby Black White Ruffed Lemurs, although they spent all afternoon from when I got there tucked up under mum.

But, having thought I could see a baby Raccoon last week in the darkness of the recently added tree trunk, it was a treat today to witness 4 popping their heads out :D

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From newsletter- a female pudu arrived from Chester in the last month.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know if the tigers are on show at Hamerton already?

9. littleRedPanda

A reply to an enquiry on facebook hinted at a possible weekend 'release' into their open area, but nothing definite. I might pop over this afternoon or tomorrow to find out.
    I think it's a temporary enclosure as their website says the intended area will not be completed until 2016.

10. BongoHardwood

Hmm, fingers crossed then, thanks. Visiting tomorrow so would be nice to see them!

EDIT: Just seen the Facebook comments, it would seem they're hoping to open the area this weekend and indoor viewing for one of the tigers should be possible if this goes ahead.

11. littleRedPanda

Well, their indoor area is next to the White Tigers and the outdoor pen is behind the big wooden fence where the train turns round. I don't know if they will just be opening up that gate for people to view them for the time being, but for my interest in photography, it's not great at the moment. What I am guessing is their intended field is currently covered in building materials.

12. littleRedPanda

Also, after checking zootierliste, they have long nose potoroo which I hadn't seen before. I also managed to watch the 3 lynx playing out in the open and finally saw the single ardwolf near the toilets, so a pretty enjoyable short visit today.

13. BongoHardwood

Visited yesterday - the Malayan tigers seem to be separate and one indoor area is on show. Neither animal was inside on the multiple points we visited them but they are visible in their outdoor cage area if you walk to the end of the fence to the left of then dens and look around the back of it!

We managed to see everything other than the rusty spotted cats and the pudu. Great views of the single aardwolf in the afternoon - a metre or so away from the fence! The pair we saw sunbathing outside but not as close as the single one! Any questions about the visit/collection please ask :)

14. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Email newsletter just pinged into inbox, containing the following paragraph:

Irritating on levels zoological, grammatical and zoo historical!

We are also promised the following....