Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

The second pair of Sumatran Civets were only at Hamerton temporarily and have now moved on. Two Parma Wallabies are in the exhibit, just grazing to keep grass down.
    There is still a pair in the exhibit opposite the Anteater.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2019
  2. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where have they been moved to? Thanks

3. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

No idea.

4. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think this tank will be for queensland whistling spider as they are on hamertons website as being currently offshow.

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

After chatting to a reptile keeper, he explained that he made the tank without knowing what would inhabit it, so my guess was probably wrong and at the moment, nothing’s going in the tank!

7. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited yesterday late afternoon hoping the weak sun would remain until closing.
    The two Cassowary are now fully on show and the female seems very curious and pretty tame and comes right up to the fence - hence the wire showing in the photo that I have just posted! The male however is a real scaredy cat and runs from his own shadow. They are on the right before you get to the Vultures and Marabou storks.
    Still no sign of anything new in the reptile house.
    Lots of ground works going on in various unused enclosures/areas - new concrete hard standings so assume it is for huts.
    Managed to get a good look at the Eastern Aardwolf who was attempting to sunbathe and the other day did see the Southern Aardwolf out too (briefly).
    The Brown Wood Owl is trying again to brood some eggs right by the path so there is a small barricade to stop you getting too close, last attempt was unsuccessful - her keeper tells me she insists on nesting on the ground near foot traffic even though she's got lots of box options!

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the tip, I visited Hamerton this afternoon and saw both Golden Possum eating around 4.45. Also the other 2 possum visible from the walk through were eating at that time as well as the wombats, though they remained inside.
    My 3 hour visit was successful overall, with the aardwolves, swamp cavy and howler monkey being the only species I failed to see.

Was pleased to see 2 jackal and the Maned wolves in view on more than one circuit . Despite the relatively cold conditions most animals were fairly active, especially the new Cassowary, whilst the tiger Quoll were seen mating and the Oncilla appeared in the mood too!

ThylacineAlive and TNT like this.
  9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think the Swamp Cavy have now left the collection (they don’t feature in the new guidebook, which covers all the species currently on show, and includes photographs of about 80% of them).

10. pipaluk

OK thanks, that would explain why I didn't manage to see them, though they were still signed with the brush turkey and potoroo .

11. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They had swamp cavy two weeks ago, in with the brush turkeys nearest the tortoises, they're usually visible later afternoon.

12. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some more births and movements from Hamerton's animals have been posted on their news page:

- A Ruppell's griffon vulture chick has recently hatched and is being reared off-show to prevent it from becoming too humanised. Two Ruppell's vultures hatched earlier at Hamerton have left for Metro Richmond Zoo in Virginia.

More information included in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

- A young male from the most recent litter of tayra born at Hamerton was moved to Exmoor Zoo yesterday (14th April).

More information included in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  13. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Had a delightful visit this morning - not too long as I was with someone else who was less interested in going back repeatedly to various enclosures! It was busy - we were there before opening time and were near the front of the queue, but by the time they had opened there was a pretty long queue. I knew it would be busy, being the Easter weekend and lovely weather, but even with the crowds, it never feels too busy inside the zoo as people spread out well.

Am I the only person who wonders if anyone else at any given zoo (particularly the smaller ones) is from here? If you were at Hamerton this morning and saw someone ignoring the active meerkats, instead loitering hopefully at the Greater Grison enclosure next door, that was me! I did not see the Grison, and to be fair to the meerkats, I had already taken a number of photos and video of them. Anyway, there were a few other things I didn't see, so plans are afoot for another visit, but later in the day. I did see the Southern aardwolf fast asleep inside their den, but only one of the Eastern aardwolves.

I also bought the new guide book, which is excellent. Stunning photos!

ro6ca66, sooty mangabey and hmb_zoo like this.
  14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably because there's only one left ;)

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  15. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I did wonder. That's a shame.

16. pipaluk

I have to agree on the guide book, which I bought last week. It is probably the best guide book I've got anywhere for several years. I like that it mentions every species, has information on most or at least on that grouping, along with info on Hamerton's breeding record with them. There are also stunning photos of most of the species too.
    At £3.95, it is an average kind of price for a well above average guidebook. I wish there were more like it!

ro6ca66, sooty mangabey, TNT and 4 others like this.
  17. Themonkeyguy1

Themonkeyguy1 Well-Known Member

If anybody does manage to pick one up as a spare, I would be interested in taking one off their hands! :)

pipaluk likes this.
  18. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The guide books are available to buy on their website.

sooty mangabey and pipaluk like this.
  19. pipaluk

Thanks for posting that, I thought I may have to buy a few hundred and post them out after my next visit

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  20. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I’m glad you like the guidebook. One minor correction: it actually sells for £3.50, not £3.95, making it even more of a bargain!
    The link for this is here: Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

ThylacineAlive and pipaluk like this.