Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2011

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 6 Jan 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Given there are many news items from Hamilton Zoo, all individually posted on here, I thought we should make a thread to post small newsy items in.

Recent Changes:

-At least two Antipodes Parakeets have moved into the free-flight aviary, presumably from an old aviary, which still contains at least one parakeet. I presume the ones in the free-flight are males, like the individuals of the other two parakeet species in there, to prevent hybridisation. They were very inquisitive, hopping along paths near visitors, over our feet, and even climbing over prams. They were reasonably wary though, and avoided hands and anyone moving towards them. This really improves the aviary, especially for the casual visitor, who is unlikely to see many birds, much less make this sort of contact.

-The old Australasian Harrier Hawk has died, and its companion has been sent to Franklin Zoo (another subtle transfer there!). Their aviary now contains North Island Kaka and a pair of Banded Rails. Given its location within the Weka Walkthrough, this gives a great opportunity for visitors to compare two species of NZ rails.

-Blue Duck also appear to have been added free-range to the Weka Walkthrough, with a sign erected, although I did not see any.

-The Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo has disappeared from the Galah aviary, but I'm not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

-Lots of Kune Kune piglets have been born, at least 10, and are on display in two exhibits.

-In not so recent news, which I don't think has been reported here, the Siamang pair 'retired' at Hamilton Zoo from Auckland were moved from there original location at the top of the zoo in the rainforest to a newly constructed cage next to the Fishing Cats towards the bottom of the zoo. This was apparently because they made too much noise at the top, and neighbours complained. Their new location is not ideal, too damp I was told, so a new exhibit may be constructed for them.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that's great. I've never seen Antipodes displayed in a walk-through aviary before.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I wish we could get Kune Kunes here in Australia

4. zooboy28

I wish we could get some exotic pigs here! Kune Kunes are common domestic animals in NZ, and to see them in a zoo here is like seeing alpacas. I understand pigs are un-importable at the moment for Australia (and I think NZ), but one of the endangered south-east Asian species would surely tick all the boxes for ZAA.

5. jay

I'd like to keep KunKunes for myself, rather than just see them in a zoo

6. monkeyworld

monkeyworld Well-Known Member

Any chimp up-dates?

7. Chlidonias

8. Chlidonias

Mike the zoo's 37 year old chimp has died. The chimp population there now is 2.4
    Hamilton Zoo chimpanzee passes away following surgery | Scoop News

9. zooboy28

RIP Mike :(

I guess this means one of his sons (Luka/Lucifer) will become the new dominant male. As far as I know, Luka has been challenging for dominance although younger (17) than his brother Lucifer (22).

10. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That's sad news about Mike :(

Luka and Mike have been alternating as dominant male for a while now. Mike was the dominant male until 2006 when Luka took over. Mike took over again between 2008-2009 but Luka has been the dominant male for about the last year. The prime breeding female Sanda prefers Lucifer however so it is unknown who the father will be when she has offspring of her own.

11. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

I'm sure many people already know this but Hamilton Zoo have high hopes of receiving either a female or a breeding pair of Sumatran tigers soon. They currently have a male Jaka and his speyed sister Mencari (both born 10/01/2000)

12. zooboy28

Visited yesterday, and made a few observations:

-Firstly, they no longer have guide books, instead you have to buy a map.

-The weka in the walk-through were not particularly inquisitive as I though they would be. The two I saw were just huddled about as far from the path as they could get.

-The kaka/banded rail aviary in the weka walkthrough now also has NZ wood pigeon as well, presumably some/all from the freeflight aviary, in which I saw none.

-The red panda exhibit has now got some agouti in it as well, but I didn't see any in there.

-A new platform/path has been built on the side of the ring-tailed lemur exhibit, with a double-door entry, presumably to allow people in for encounters.

-Both tigers were out in the exhibit, now that the female has been speyed. This is the first time since they were cubs that I have seen them both out.

-The seven African wild dogs were following each other around their exhibit nose-to-tail, is this a common behaviour?

-The kune kune pigs were in the spare enclosure next door, and their exhibit was being greatly renovated. All the fences next to the path had been removed, and a great pile of dry wood chippings dumped inside.

Not much else news-worthy, although even what I have posted isn't that exciting anyway :D

I have uploaded five maps of Hamilton Zoo from the late 90s to now, to show the development and changes which have occurred there over the last 14 or so years. If you do look at them I recommend you do it in order, they are labelled 1 (oldest) to 5 (yesterday):

http://www.zoochat.com/313/1-hamilton-zoo-map-pre-2000-a-218853/
    http://www.zoochat.com/313/2-hamilton-zoo-map-december-2000-a-218852/
    http://www.zoochat.com/313/3-hamilton-zoo-map-2003-a-218855/
    http://www.zoochat.com/313/4-hamilton-zoo-map-2007-09-a-218856/
    http://www.zoochat.com/313/5-hamilton-zoo-map-june-2011-a-218854/

13. Chlidonias

waterbuck from Orana Park came to Hamilton in October, the first to be housed here since 2003
    New girls on the block settle into Sahara paddock | Stuff.co.nz
    (and a zebra foal was born in September: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/cutestuff/5664379/Hamiltons-world-cup-talisman)

14. jay

Is Bwana still the breeding stallion at Hamilton?

15. Chlidonias

I don't know (none of the articles say the stallion's name) but the foal has been named Layla

16. jay

That sounds feminie so a filly?

17. zooboy28

The story isn't quite right, it says the nilgai died last year, but photos from my January visit show both alive :D

18. Chlidonias

yes a female. Here's another article, which also mentions another pregnant zebra at the zoo: Layla steps out for a taste of spring - Hamilton - NZ Herald News

19. zooboy28

I visited Hamilton Zoo on the 12/11/2011, which will be my last visit for some time, and (despite the depressing weather) the zoo was looking really good. Some updates:

-The secondary African Hunting Dog exhibit (previously home to two females I think) was inhabited by a goat, so either the two females have been integrated into the main group, or they have moved on.

-Saw the two new female Waterbuck in the savannah exhibit, they looked a little wary of the giraffes, but otherwise make a good addition - hopefully they will build up a nice little herd. Saw the zebra foal too.

-The Swan Geese have been moved into a new exhibit (created with a little temporary fencing) on the site of the old capybara exhibit. I don't know why they have been moved out of hte wetlands exhibit, but maybe it was to give them, or the Cape Barren Geese they shared with, a beter chance of breeding?

-Parrot Court appears a little less-stocked than previously, with one aviary now holding only Rainbow Lorikeets. Some kids were winding up the male Himalayan Monal, causing him to peck the glass. I think they should try and build up the vegetation in front of his aviary, or move the pair somewhere more private.

-The Antipodes Parakeets are great in the free-flight aviary, landed on my arm briefly! The Weka, however, were nowhere to be seen in their walk-through exhibit. The sign for the Blue Duck had been removed from there as well.

-A building is being constructed at the top end of the Rhino exhibit, not sure what this is for - unlikely to be the planned holding/feeding/viewing area for the Rhino as it seems to small.

-Overall, the zoo was looking really good, although I do not expect any real developments in the near future, as the zoo's owner (Hamilton City Council) seeks to save money and reign in debt by cutting budgets. Planned new enclosures for cheetah and red panda are therefore off the cards for now. Entry prices will also rise.

20. Chlidonias

another news article from last month:
    Lemur twins and bellbird trio settle in at Hamilton Zoo - Yahoo! New Zealand News