Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2012

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 Jun 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

some of the news from this year (some already in separate threads):

a female African wild dog arrived from Wellington Zoo in December 2011 and was introduced to two of Hamilton's males in January 2012 (split from their pack of seven males to make introductions to the female easier).

two spider monkeys were exported to Switzerland. (Both those items from here: Vanessa's Keeper Blog | Hamilton Zoo)

a female white rhino calf was born in March: http://www.zoochat.com/17/another-rhino-pregnancy-232101/

46-year-old chimpanzee Fimi died in April: Zoo mourns passing of chimpanzee | Hamilton Zoo

2. Chlidonias

tigress Sali arrived from Australia a little while ago: http://www.zoochat.com/17/new-tigress-coming-year-255811/index2.html

other news: Mahoenui giant weta will be on temporary display at the zoo for Conservation Week
    Giant weta at Hamilton Zoo for Conservation Week - Yahoo! Sport New Zealand

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Those tapirs look very dark. I haven't seen ones like that before.

5. Chlidonias

the photo makes the tapir look a bit darker than it actually is, but yes both of the Hamilton animals are very dark-coloured. However Brazilian tapirs are quite variable, there's quite a range of shades of brown.

6. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Does any body have any clues to if Keto is pregnant and also has the female calf born to moesha been named yet i heard it was nicknamed Happy but that cant be its real name i thought.

cheers

7. Chlidonias

Twin baby lemurs born at Hamilton Zoo - National - NZ Herald News

8. Animalgeek

Good news the lemurs at Hamilton are doing very well breeding also the rhino calf born to Moesh has been named Jamhila prnounced Ja-mee-la :)

9. Animalgeek

Hey guys i have a question witch is in the articals aboutt the new wildog female it says the zoo has 7 males but how is that cause i no of 3 litters born 1 with the 9 pups 7 femlaes went to oranna leaving the 2 males the original amles hasani and rafiki and then ish and another litter with a male named zumo who i heard was dominant but thats only 6 and then theres the 2 females oran gave to hamilton in swap for there 7 sistersso ether another male was born that i dont no about or they got another male and i have no clue what happened to the 2 females shira and mawenzi doies any body have any inof on this if u do please post thanks :)