Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 23 Jan 2013.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

How disapointing and upsetting. My condolances to the keepers at Hamilton and hopefully Kito will recover and breed again soon.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

A new pair of (Scarlet) Macaws have arrived at Hamilton Zoo, from the zoo's original owner, and have moved into Parrot Court. I presume they have moved into the large South American aviary that holds Blue & Yellow Macaws and Sun Conures, but I'm not sure, and don't know whether either of those species have moved out of that aviary.

Story here: Macaws move in to Hamilton Zoo | Stuff.co.nz

3. zooboy28

Keeping the Tapirs Warm

These animals seem to get quite a lot of media attention, perhaps a reporter has a soft spot for these awesome animals? Note "B" is short for Branco. And hopefully they have a few more years left, 22 is not particularly ancient for tapirs.

Story and photo here:Tapirs ward off the cold at Hamilton Zoo | Stuff.co.nz

4. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. zooboy28

Updates from Visit

I visited Hamilton Zoo on 1/9/13, and here are some thoughts and minor news:

-Parrot Court's row of small aviaries is currently empty and undergoing renovations. Some of the species have been added to the other big aviaries, but the rest are off-display. The South American aviary had the new pair of Scarlet Macaws, with no sign of the Blue-and-Golds.
    -Last remaining Bobcat in Australasia was lazing on a platform and looked very relaxed, will be sad when he dies.
    -Saw the Red Panda triplets, they looked adorable, all hanging together in the morning sun.
    -One of the Brolgas is in a small enclosure adjacent to the Bison.
    -A couple of Brown Teal ducklings were on display, they looked very fluffy.
    -The native reptile exhibits were also under renovation, and some enclosures were empty, awaiting the arrival of Otago Skinks. There were only three gecko species on display.
    -We saw the rhinos feed, this was very good. They were shut in the main part of the enclosure while the hay was put into the smaller part, and then the gates were opened and the seven rhinos came charging through! Brilliant. There was a bit of argy-bargy between the younger males and the adults, which was exciting. The two young males are due to go to Australia shortly, and I think the keeper said one of the females was pregnant too.

Some photos attached, including of some rather unusual graffiti.

Attached Files:

6. Tygo

7. Tygo

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this link no longer works but it is about a 14 month old male North Island brown kiwi which has been released into the zoo's native walk-through aviary. There are plans to obtain a female for him (not sure if this has been implemented yet). The zoo intends to only hold one pair, and only as breeders (i.e. not in a nocturnal display situation, although they are in the visitor area).

11. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

I was there in November last year, and they were finishing the new exhibit for him then (basically just a low fence). Its located under the boardwalk and up into a patch of forest on the slope above the lower exit (by the waterfall).
    Didn't get to see him, though he was moved in by then.