Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Article about Siamangs new enclosure.
    Hamilton Zoo's siamangs get new outdoor enclosure | Stuff.co.nz

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good to see they finally have a decent enclosure. Orana Wildlife Park have an amazing exhibit.

The article mentions the pair have reared six offspring (their seventh was rejected). Anyone know any details on the three not listed below:

Ipoh (M1993)

Irian (M2001)
    Iwani (M2003) Deceased
    Iberani (F2003) Deceased

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know the third one, but Peggy (at Orana) and Sue (at Willowbank) are the other two. Peggy was born in 1989 I think, maybe 1990; not sure about Sue but presumably she is not the same age because Iwani and Iberani were supposed to be the first siamang twins born at the zoo. Both of them went to Willowbank in 1994 (not too long after the birth of Ipoh), and Peggy later moved on to Orana. Both of them have bred since then (the male currently at Auckland is one of Sue's sons). I'd guess at Sue having been born c.1991/2, and then the unknown one being born obviously somewhere between 1993 and 2001.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for that info, it's much appreciated.

I had no idea Peggy was the offspring of Hamilton's pair. I remember when the twins were born, the keepers said it was Auckland's tradition to name the offspring with names starting with I. I guess this tradition started with Ipoh, unless Sue and Peggy had other names originally.

At a guess, I'd say Peggy was born 1990 given that Itam is born in 1984. I don't think they can breed as young as 4-5 years.

As far as I'm aware Itam and Iuri were Auckland Zoo's first Siamang?