Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 26 Apr 2018.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hamilton Zoo have recently imported two male African Wild Dogs.

They are currently exhibited in the enclosure near the Sumatran Tiger, while the original male and a female occupy the exhibit near the North American Bison.

While I don't doubt the elderly male (born 2007), values the companionship of the female (born 2011), I can't help but feel they're making the same mistake as last time, when they imported a 7 year old female as their new breeding female, who was nearing the end of her reproductive years. The elderly male (born 2007) was kept with her until she passed away, instead of being paired with one of the new females (born 2011). By the time this pairing happened, the male was too old to breed. Now, by the time the elderly male passes away, the now middle aged female will be nearing the end of her reproductive years. o_O

Last edited: 26 Apr 2018
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where did that news come from? Where did the new males come from? And what happened to the second female at Hamilton?

3. Zoofan15

Observations from my visit and further info from a friend.

The second female is not at the zoo. I'm guessing she died as she wasn't sent to another New Zealand Zoo and there would have been little reason to relocate her. Perhaps she died in an introduction (either to Zumo last year or to the two new males).

I don't know where the new males came from sorry. They weren't there mid 2017 so arrived either late 2017 or early 2018.

Hamilton Zoo have learnt (through trial and error) that the best combination for introducing these animals is a ratio of 2.1 so in my opinion, success will only be achieved by integrating the two new males with the remaining female (hence the reason for their import), since Zumo is now too old to breed.

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know what the plan is for the 2.2 African wild dogs? Will they integrate the new males with the remaining 2011 born female (name?)???

BTW: Is Zumo the elderly male born 2007?

5. Zoofan15

Zumo is the elderly male. He was born at Hamilton Zoo in 2007. He is currently housed with the remaining female, born 2011.

I don't know how old the new males are, but I'd imagine they are young (3 years or less) as importing new animals from overseas (we know they didn't come from a NZ zoo) is expensive so if they were going to go to the effort, they'd at least make sure it was an animal not nearing the end of it's lifespan.

The likely assumption is indeed that the two new males will be integrated with the female to form a pack of 2.1 animals. This starting ratio works well for this species. My guess is they're waiting for Zumo to pass away, before this will happen as he would be difficult, if not impossible to integrate with the new males. The female is 7 years old, so if they want to breed from her then they really shouldn't delay much further. African Wild Dogs can breed at 18 months and have a life expectancy of 10 years so she hasn't got much breeding time left as it is.

6. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sumatran tiger Kembali is off to Adelaide Zoo to breed.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Is this just being mentioned as general news, or is he now in transit?

Great to see a young tiger from the region going immediately into a breeding situation (Kembali is 3 years old).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The keeper mentioned it when I was at the zoo on Saturday, I believe she said he was leaving "at the end of the week".

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Siamang Gibbon, Iuri has died at the age of 38.

She was born at Adelaide Zoo in 1979 and transferred to Auckland in 1987 as a breeding female. She and mate, Itam then retired to Hamilton in July 2009. She had 7 offspring whilst at Auckland

10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Very sad news.:(:(:(
    Hamilton Zoo’s bobcat has passed away.
    Hamilton Zoo

Jambo, ZooBoyNZ and Chlidonias like this.