Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Some news from my visit to Hamilton Zoo this morning:

A new aviary is being built (see photo) and will be complete by the end of January. It is located near the entrance of the rainforest and will house South American birds, including the macaws. The aviary currently containing the Blue and gold macaw will then house African birds; while the aviary currently occupied by Scarlet macaws, will house Indo Pacific birds.

Samburu the Southern white rhinoceros will be exported to Halls Gap Zoo in the next couple of months. His mother, Kito, will deliver her fourth calf in April.

Sanda the Chimpanzee came into season last month for the first time since her daughter Chiku was born in February 2016. They hope she will fall pregnant soon. The outside Chimpanzee exhibit is to undergo a massive overhaul starting at the end of this month. The perimeter fence will be replaced with a non climbable wall that will allow the chimps to remain outside in all weather. The viewing bridge will be removed and replaced with a new viewing window; while the night house and lower viewing window will remain unchanged. The foot print of the outside exhibit will be decreased slightly. The chimps will be safely confined to the night house/indoor playroom during these renovations.

The two Plains zebra foals are now fully integrated with the other occupants of the savannah and are believed to be a male and female (though this has yet to be 100% confirmed). 2.2.2 Plains zebra were on exhibit today; with a seperate herd of 0.3 kept off display.

The old hillside Brazilian tapir exhibit currently contains goats and a single Fallow deer (a second herd of around 40 Fallow deer are housed with the North American bison). Goats also occupy the old Brolga exhibit (down from the savannah); and a small flock of Turkey occupy the old Cheetah exhibit. I’m hoping these filler species will be replaced with something more exciting in time.

The Siamang pair seem to have bonded (they were indifferent to each other on my last visit a year ago) and were singing a duet from the top of a very tall tree. They are related so the female (Kasih) is on contraception.

The Ring-tailed lemur troop welcomed a baby in October 2019; and three sets of triplets in recent weeks. This brings the troop to 22 (3.12.7).

I will be updating the gallery with a few photos and additional notes if anyone is interested.

2. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I like the shape of the new avairy. The domed roof reminds me of the Titanic! Will the aviary be walk through?

How many Rhino calves has Hamilton Zoo bred now?

3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Do you know what all the zebra were called? I only know the stallion and two mares. The website is out of date as most are now in Auckland.

4. Zoofan15

Yeah, I’m sure that’s what they were going for. :p

No, the double door is just for keeper use. It’s possible they’d do encounters for small groups in time; but while the aviary is a decent size, it couldn’t accomodate large crowds of people.

This will be the tenth calf born at Hamilton Zoo, an eleventh was conceived there prior to her mother’s export in 2011.

Yes, yes I do. I’ll post this info with the pics I’m going to upload.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  5. Zoofan15

From Hamilton Zoo’s Facebook Page:

We are excited to announce another birth at the Zoo with a beautiful baby Bison born overnight on Thursday.

The baby was found by keepers Friday morning drinking from mum Aira and looking very healthy.

Aira is 8 years old and an experienced mum, she’s had a number of calves over the years here at the Zoo.

The birth of this gorgeous new addition brings the bison herd to seven.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  6. Zoofan15

From Hamilton Zoo’s Facebook Page:

Hamilton Zoo’s chimpanzee enclosure is getting a major upgrade with a new state-of-the-art fence, improved public viewing areas and better access to the outdoors for our popular chimp troop.

The work gets underway in early February and is expected to be completed by the end of winter.

There’s more information in this article: Revamp for Hamilton Zoo chimp enclosure

Hamilton Zoo has no plans to import new chimpanzees into their group of six; but Sanda has recently started cycling again, and they are hoping she will fall pregnant.

marmolady, kiwimuzz, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Hamilton Zoo will be closed from tomorrow until further notice:

From Sunday, all Hamilton City Libraries, Waterworld, the Gallagher Aquatic Centre, Hamilton Zoo, Waikato Museum, ArtsPost and the Hamilton i-SITE will be temporarily closed until further notice.

The decision to close Hamilton Zoo will help protect the animals as well as the public and staff. The Zoo setting is intimate with public and animals able to get quite close.

"Our animals are vulnerable to viruses carried by humans and we cannot take the risk of exposing them when we have little information about the effect Covid-19 has on animals and the best treatment options," Briggs said.

Coronavirus: 'Physical distancing' doubts prompt closures of Hamilton Council community facilities

In other news (from Facebook), birds (including the macaws) have been moving into the South American aviary, which opens soon (see Post #1).

Tafin likes this.
  8. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Hamilton Zoo haven't said much about their pregnant White Rhino. Does anyone have an update?

9. Zoofan15

There hasn’t been an update in the media since the pregnancy was announced in July 2019: Southern white rhino pregnant at Hamilton Zoo

Last I heard (I visited the zoo in January), the pregnancy is progressing well and they’re looking forward to the calf’s arrival in April. It’s going to be an exciting year for Hamilton Zoo with the opening of the South American aviary and the refurbishment of the chimp exhibit to look forward to as well.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Tafin like this.