Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some news from my visit to Hamilton Zoo this morning:

A new aviary is being built (see photo) and will be complete by the end of January. It is located near the entrance of the rainforest and will house South American birds, including the macaws. The aviary currently containing the Blue and gold macaw will then house African birds; while the aviary currently occupied by Scarlet macaws, will house Indo Pacific birds.

Samburu the Southern white rhinoceros will be exported to Halls Gap Zoo in the next couple of months. His mother, Kito, will deliver her fourth calf in April.

Sanda the Chimpanzee came into season last month for the first time since her daughter Chiku was born in February 2016. They hope she will fall pregnant soon. The outside Chimpanzee exhibit is to undergo a massive overhaul starting at the end of this month. The perimeter fence will be replaced with a non climbable wall that will allow the chimps to remain outside in all weather. The viewing bridge will be removed and replaced with a new viewing window; while the night house and lower viewing window will remain unchanged. The foot print of the outside exhibit will be decreased slightly. The chimps will be safely confined to the night house/indoor playroom during these renovations.

The two Plains zebra foals are now fully integrated with the other occupants of the savannah and are believed to be a male and female (though this has yet to be 100% confirmed). 2.2.2 Plains zebra were on exhibit today; with a seperate herd of 0.3 kept off display.

The old hillside Brazilian tapir exhibit currently contains goats and a single Fallow deer (a second herd of around 40 Fallow deer are housed with the North American bison). Goats also occupy the old Brolga exhibit (down from the savannah); and a small flock of Turkey occupy the old Cheetah exhibit. I’m hoping these filler species will be replaced with something more exciting in time.

The Siamang pair seem to have bonded (they were indifferent to each other on my last visit a year ago) and were singing a duet from the top of a very tall tree. They are related so the female (Kasih) is on contraception.

The Ring-tailed lemur troop welcomed a baby in October 2019; and three sets of triplets in recent weeks. This brings the troop to 22 (3.12.7).

I will be updating the gallery with a few photos and additional notes if anyone is interested.

2. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I like the shape of the new avairy. The domed roof reminds me of the Titanic! Will the aviary be walk through?

How many Rhino calves has Hamilton Zoo bred now?

3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Do you know what all the zebra were called? I only know the stallion and two mares. The website is out of date as most are now in Auckland.

4. Zoofan15

Yeah, I’m sure that’s what they were going for. :p

No, the double door is just for keeper use. It’s possible they’d do encounters for small groups in time; but while the aviary is a decent size, it couldn’t accomodate large crowds of people.

This will be the tenth calf born at Hamilton Zoo, an eleventh was conceived there prior to her mother’s export in 2011.

Yes, yes I do. I’ll post this info with the pics I’m going to upload.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  5. Zoofan15

From Hamilton Zoo’s Facebook Page:

We are excited to announce another birth at the Zoo with a beautiful baby Bison born overnight on Thursday.

The baby was found by keepers Friday morning drinking from mum Aira and looking very healthy.

Aira is 8 years old and an experienced mum, she’s had a number of calves over the years here at the Zoo.

The birth of this gorgeous new addition brings the bison herd to seven.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  6. Zoofan15

From Hamilton Zoo’s Facebook Page:

Hamilton Zoo’s chimpanzee enclosure is getting a major upgrade with a new state-of-the-art fence, improved public viewing areas and better access to the outdoors for our popular chimp troop.

The work gets underway in early February and is expected to be completed by the end of winter.

There’s more information in this article: Revamp for Hamilton Zoo chimp enclosure

Hamilton Zoo has no plans to import new chimpanzees into their group of six; but Sanda has recently started cycling again, and they are hoping she will fall pregnant.

marmolady, kiwimuzz, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  7. Zoofan15

Hamilton Zoo will be closed from tomorrow until further notice:

From Sunday, all Hamilton City Libraries, Waterworld, the Gallagher Aquatic Centre, Hamilton Zoo, Waikato Museum, ArtsPost and the Hamilton i-SITE will be temporarily closed until further notice.

The decision to close Hamilton Zoo will help protect the animals as well as the public and staff. The Zoo setting is intimate with public and animals able to get quite close.

"Our animals are vulnerable to viruses carried by humans and we cannot take the risk of exposing them when we have little information about the effect Covid-19 has on animals and the best treatment options," Briggs said.

Coronavirus: 'Physical distancing' doubts prompt closures of Hamilton Council community facilities

In other news (from Facebook), birds (including the macaws) have been moving into the South American aviary, which opens soon (see Post #1).

Tafin likes this.
  8. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Hamilton Zoo haven't said much about their pregnant White Rhino. Does anyone have an update?

9. Zoofan15

There hasn’t been an update in the media since the pregnancy was announced in July 2019: Southern white rhino pregnant at Hamilton Zoo

Last I heard (I visited the zoo in January), the pregnancy is progressing well and they’re looking forward to the calf’s arrival in April. It’s going to be an exciting year for Hamilton Zoo with the opening of the South American aviary and the refurbishment of the chimp exhibit to look forward to as well.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and Tafin like this.
  10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Hamilton Zoo posted a video of the new aviary today on their Facebook page - it looks very nice. According to the post, the aviary contains Brazilian (Red-rumped) Agouti, Sun Conure, Scarlet Macaw and Blue and Gold Macaw.

11. WhistlingKite24

Hamilton Zoo has announced the arrival of 4.0 Leopard Tortoise. The tortoises arrived in November 2019 and are named Inky, Pinky, Blinky and Clyde. They have recently been introduced to their new enclosure.
    Security Check

12. Zoofan15

Hamilton Zoo Revamp Planned

An ambitious plan has been hatched to transform Hamilton Zoo and the neighbouring Waiwhakareke sanctuary into a must-see eco destination. Included on the region's wishlist is a $24.8 million project aimed at enhancing visitors' experience at Hamilton Zoo and the adjacent Waiwhakareke Natural Heritage Park. A key feature of the proposal is a new shared entrance to the zoo and park on Brymer Road.

As part of the enhancements, a cafe and public toilets will be built outside the zoo. Improved parking facilities and the construction of an education and function centre are also planned.

"You can have an experience where, on one side of the road, you can see overseas ecosystems, the Savannah environment with the appropriate animals roaming around. But across the road, to the east, you'll be able to go and see New Zealand as it was prior to human arrival."

Read full article here:

Getting Waikato going: major revamp pitched for Hamilton Zoo, Waiwhakareke Natural Heritage Park

Zorro, ZooBoyNZ and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

Hamilton Zoo is reopening on Friday (15th May). From the zoo’s Facebook page:
    Hamilton Zoo

Shirokuma, Jambo and Zorro like this.
  14. WhistlingKite24

Hamilton Zoo has welcomed the birth of a female Southern White Rhino calf to parents Kruger and Kito. The calf was born on 12th March and has been named Zahra. The calf was born with a rare skin condition but seems to be doing well.
    A southern white rhino has been born at Hamilton Zoo

Last edited: 14 May 2020
  15. Zoofan15

That's fantastic news, I've been waiting a long time for this announcement! It's good to see a (surviving) female calf from Kito. :)

It's interesting how three of Kito's four calves have had complications - the first wasborn with bilateral intraocular haemorrhages. The pressure of his birth forced blood into the chambers of both eyes, and as a result he was functionally blind for several weeks; with Kito requiring help feeding him. Kito's second calf was sadly stillborn, after it bled internally as a result of a ruptured liver.

Kito's Calves:

1.0 Ubuntu - Born 12/03/2010
    0.1 Unnamed - Stillborn 19/04/2013
    1.0 Samburu - Born 28/06/2016
    0.1 Zahra - Born 12/03/2020

Last edited: 14 May 2020
  16. WhistlingKite24

Jabari the giraffe was euthanised on the 31st March due to a chronic hoof condition. From the zoo’s Facebook page:
    Security Check

17. Zoofan15

1.0 Jabari (02/12/2002 - 31/03/2020) Zabulu x Kay

This just leaves Hamilton Zoo with 4.0 aging giraffes: Ndoki (1998), Masamba (2002), Ndale (2004) and Dume (2006). Sadly, the next few years will likely see the herd dwindle further based on their age. I believe the New Zealand longevity record is Tisa (mother of Ndoki), who died at Wellington Zoo at the age of 26 years.

I've long wondered if upon the deaths of the remaining males, Hamilton Zoo would start a breeding herd; but given that Auckland, Wellington and Orana have all recently imported bulls for breeding, I'd say it's unlikely - and that they'll probably continue as a bachelor holding facility.

Jambo, Tafin, Jungle Man and 2 others like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Cheetah Import

I visited Hamilton Zoo this afternoon and was told the zoo are planning to import two male cheetah from overseas this year. This import has understandably been complicated by Covid-19. Hamilton Zoo's last cheetah passed away in 2017.

I will discuss import possibilities further in this thread: Big/Small Cats in Australasian Zoos – News, History and Discussion

Hamilton Zoo have held five cheetah through their history, starting with the import of 1.1 half siblings in 2001 - the male of which was swapped for an unrelated male in 2003. After this pair failed to breed, they were sent to Orana Willdife Park; and a pair of bachelor males were imported - which remained at Hamilton Zoo until their deaths.

1.0 Kaitoa
    Born at Orana Wildlife Park 06/11/1997
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 02/09/2003
    Sent to Orana Wildlife Park 16/08/2007
    Sire: Mikumi; Dam: Malaika

0.1 Temba
    Born at Cango Wildlife Ranch 08/04/1999
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 17/11/2001
    Sent to Orana Wildlife Park 16/08/2007
    Sire: M227; Dam: Damara

1.0 Mwandi
    Born at Cango Wildlife Ranch 26/05/2000
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 17/11/2001
    Sent to Orana Wildlife Park 01/06/2003
    Sire: Sigma; Dam: Damara

1.0 Jambo
    Born at Taronga Western Plains Zoo 01/10/2004
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 23/08/2007
    Died at Hamilton Zoo 22/02/2016
    Sire: Jala; Dam: F359

1.0 Moyo Matusi
    Born at Taronga Western Plains Zoo 01/10/2004
    Arrived at Hamilton Zoo 23/08/2007
    Died at Hamilton Zoo 19/09/2017
    Sire: Jala; Dam: F359

Last edited: 3 Jul 2020
  19. Zoofan15

Some news from my visit yesterday:

The South American aviary is now open and home to Agouti, Blue and yellow macaw, Scarlett macaw and Sun conure.

Pygmy marmoset now have the run of two thirds of the old covered aviary, which they previously shared with the Blue and yellow macaw; with the remaining third occupied by Cotton-top tamarin. The old covered aviary vacated by the Scarlet macaw, is now home to Eclectus parrot and Luzon bleeding-heart. The third covered aviary in the parrot court is occupied by Galah, Princess parrot, Musk lorikeet and Cunningham's spiny-tailed skink.

A new Tuatara house is being built and due to open in December 2020. It was visible from the parrot court, and the construction of a new boardwalk above Weka Walk suggests the two may be linked up.

A female African wild dog has been imported from Monarto Zoo. Itanya was born 13/01/2016 at Monarto Zoo and is the granddaughter of Hamilton Zoo’s former alpha female, Zuri, who sent to Taronga Western Plains Zoo in 2008. Itanya has been paired with Romeo, and keepers are hopeful they will breed.

Renovations on the Common chimpanzee exhibit continue. The footprint of the outdoor exhibit has been decreased; but it will allow the chimpanzee to remain outdoors in inclement weather. The overhead bridge is now near ground level.

The Cheetah exhibit is being remodeled, following a brief and forgettable stint housing filler species. The exhibit is currently being landscaped, with new fencing and viewing windows. Four Cheetah are now scheduled to arrive. I suspect these will be the two year old males living in a coalition at Taronga Western Plains Zoo.

The moving crate is still in place in the raceway to the Southern white rhinoceros exhibit. Samburu was scheduled to move to Halls Gap Zoo this year, but COVID-19 has delayed the move. He is now four years old and clashing with his father. They had a brief scuffle on this visit.

I have uploaded more photos to the gallery for those that are interested.

20. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Another question you might accuse me of knowing the answer to, but again I dont; and one which has not been answered the odd time I have asked it in the past - is, is there a policy on duplicating the same photos unnecessarily between the media section and within a post too