Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 21 Jan 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’d be extremely difficult to introduce Romeo to the other two dogs. The female is elderly and speyed, which would eliminate any attraction between them and the other male (his brother) has been apart from him for so long, he’d regard him as a threat. I’d be surprised if the zoo attempted this.

The best course of action is to transfer two of Orana’s females to Hamilton Zoo ASAP to create a 1.2 breeding pack. Orana have an all female pack - with the youngest dogs born 2016.

A lot of Hamilton Zoo’s lack of success in recent years has been down to one half of the pair being well past their reproductive prime; and then repeating the mistake by importing a new dog as the elder animal dies to pair with it’s mate, which is by then middle aged.

2. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

That seems really sensible, and Orana seems to work well with Hamilton so fingers crossed.

On more positive news the zoo is looking great with the holidays in full swing. The leopard Tortoises have finally been moved into their new home in the African savannah, still only 4 with no news on what happened to the other two other than they are no longer listed on the zoo website.

The zoo has also put at least three bellbirds on display, is having a third go at fixing the disastrous eel pond near the free-flight aviary and has successfully released five north island kaka. The Nyala looked great and were interactive.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Whoops African aviary not savannah for the leopard tortoises

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

I thought that’d explain the giraffe’s foot problems - they’ve been kicking tortoises on the Savannah. :p

Matt_C and Patrick Keegan like this.
  5. Zoofan15

Additional information on loss of African wild dogs:

Rare African dog dies at Hamilton Zoo after eating own litter

An interview with the director states nine or ten pups were born, at least five of which were believed to be stillborn. Intanya subsequently consumed the litter, including the additional pups.

Necropsy results are expected this week.

No news on how her mate, Romeo, will be accommodated socially; though I still believe transferring one of the females from Orana is the best option.

Patrick Keegan likes this.
  6. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

Patrick Keegan and Haliaeetus like this.
  7. Zoofan15

That’s good news, though I’d actually assumed they were already a member. New Zealand’s other three main zoos (Auckland, Wellington and Orana) are members.

Despite a masterplan that’s lacking inspiration to say the least, there’s a lot of potential for Hamilton Zoo and I look forward to seeing their progress over the next few years.

8. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamilton Zoo has lost 11yo female African wild dog Msaka to cancer: Hamilton Zoo

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  9. Zoofan15

Her death leaves the zoo in an interesting predicament as this leaves her mate widowed; as his brother was two months ago in the larger exhibit - and the sole occupants of their respective exhibits. Due to their extended time apart, it would be difficult to reintroduce these 10 year old males.

I’ve long wondered why they haven’t transferred females up from Orana (who are unrelated to Hamilton’s males), however these females are now middle aged and it would be preferable for Hamilton to start over with young founders imo.

Trying to breed from middle aged dogs has been a reoccurring challenge for the zoo across the many unsuccessful pairings made over the past decade.

Patrick Keegan and Matt_C like this.
  10. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Friends of Hamilton Zoo AGM was today, with some interesting information around future developments.

Probably the most fleshed out development is a new farmyard exhibit that allows (supervised) interaction between visitors and farmyard animals (fellow deer, kunekune pig, llama, miniature donkey and goats were all mentioned). The interactive zone would be in the current miniature donkey enclosure, with animals having free access to an separate paddock where fellow deer currently reside (behind the African wild dogs, in the old Oryx enclosure). They would also have access to an entirely off-display paddock behind the Siamang enclosure.

This would free up the current kunekune, goat, deer and llama enclosures for redevelopment, and offer what is probably the main benefit of a farmyard display- animal interaction. It's a bit underwhelming and difficult to see how the zoo will offer a better interaction than the many farm-themed animal encounters in the region, but if they are committed to sticking with farmyard animals then it's absolutely the right move I think.

There is also plans well underway for a lace monitor enclosure in parrot court, next to the Australian aviary.

Further down the track, the next largest priority seems to be redesigning the 'savannah' enclosures to have more of an open-range zoo feel. This would add a much needed loop rather than backtracking path, may include a range of amenities (jeep ride, glamping, restaurant etc.). This development seems like a longer-term plan, with a lot of insecurities around funding.

Otherwise, there was mention of some 'wish list' species, most interestingly clouded leopards and 'hyena'. Otters are highly likely, I would guess in the space that was marked for the third tiger exhibit but which I suspect is off the cards.

Also worth noting is what seems to be intention both for the larger regional zoos (AKL, Wellington, Orana and Hamilton) to collaborate and coordinate species and breeding plans more cohesively, and I suspect that Hamilton Zoo will eventually be integrated more formally with the Observatory and Waiwhakareke park to form a 'natural wonders' style precinct.

11. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update, @Matt_C.

The Clouded leopard would be an exciting addition to the zoo and it’ll be interesting to see to what extent the zoo commits to them - a non breeding sibling pair for display purposes; or dedicated facilities aimed at breeding them. I suppose funding will ultimately determine the answer, but it’d be good to see them undertake the latter - possibly in place of the Fishing cat, which have never thrived at Hamilton are of little interest to the visitors.

The region’s hyena population has grown in recent years with two zoos undertaking imports from outside the region lately, so it’s exciting Hamilton Zoo could be another holder (as well as the only holder in New Zealand). They’d be a good fit for Hamilton Zoo, though most visitors will tell you the zoo already has hyena because they saw the hunting dogs.

12. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Minor news from Hamilton:

The two remaining African Wild Dogs have been reintroduced to each other and appear to be getting along well in the exhibit next to the tigers, leaving the safari exhibit empty and unsigned.

The rhino enclosure has been partitioned, with about a third of the enclosure separated by what looks like permanent fencing and a new shelter built. Presumably this will house their surplus male, though it looks more than a temporary change. The zoo host seemed unsure if the eventual transfer to Australia was still being planned, and if so why the enclosure would be permanently divided.

Lastly, the zoo is apparently planning for a new 'pests' display housing common pest species in NZ, ferrets were mentioned. This might go where the farmyard exhibit is planned, or in the old nocturnal exhibit space (previously housing morepork and possums many years ago).

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
  13. Zoofan15

A theory on the rhinoceros exhibit:

Orana Wildlife Park are expecting the arrival of their first group of Southern white rhinoceros in the near future. It could be in place to manage introductions of one of these rhinos to Hamilton’s herd.

Hamilton’s rhinoceros herd is in desperate need of a shake up - with 2/3 of the cows not breeding with the current bull. I’m wondering if there’s a new home lined up for Kruger or Samburu, with a new bull to be transferred in.

They may retain one of the bulls long term in this divided exhibit as a stimulant bull to the breeding bull, which will live with the main herd.

This seems the most likely option as the swing gates can otherwise divide the exhibit in two - which is all that’s needed to manage two groups (main herd plus surplus bull).

Matt_C, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  14. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamilton zoo is beginning fundraising for a native bird hospital and rehabilitation facility.
    The plan is to eventually be able to rehabilitate sea birds which will hopefully also be on display as ambassadors.
    I got the impression Wildbase in Palmerston North along with Auckland and Wellington zoos will be used for inspiration.

15. Zoofan15

That’s an unexpected initiative. Hopefully the rehabilitation facility will allow visitors to see species they wouldn’t normally get an opportunity to see within a captive setting.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Matt_C like this.
  16. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

I was surprised, though we have rapidly gone from no avian vets to three in the region and Hamilton zoo gained a Doc permit for native rehabilitation, so it probably makes sense. Also with Waiwhakareke and tiritiri matangi nearby for managed release.

Apparently they are already providing the service but the facilities are ad hoc and not suited to seabird rehab at all. I didn't entirely understand the focus on seabirds but not complaining.

It would be a great addition to have vet facilities public can view like Auckland or Wellington, and with advanced facilities like Wildbase in Palmy.

17. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Wildbase website for those interested, I think it must be NZs top avian hospital and rehab center? Best part is it is very open to public with a lot of opportunities to view recovering wildlife, as well as a few ambassador permanent residents.

Patrick Keegan, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Taronga Zoo have identified the inner workings of the vet hospital to be the aspect of running the zoo visitors are most interested to see. It’s good to see Hamilton Zoo investing in this infrastructure alongside less inspiring aspects of the masterplan.

The zoo on the whole has undergone little development since the late 2000’s, so it’s encouraging to see them receiving funding and making progress.

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Zorro like this.
  19. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Yeah it is a long way from concept to delivery and Hamilton seems to really struggle to get funding and momentum behind their ideas. Still waiting on a red panda import and rhino export.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  20. Zoofan15

That rhino export can’t come soon enough. There’s tension every time I stop by the exhibit with even the adult cows huffing and posturing at Samburu (2016) on my last visit and Kruger was ready for him to leave as originally scheduled back in 2020. I see from records, that no young bull has remained in the herd past five years, so Samburu has truly overstayed his welcome. With Covid restrictions easing off, hopefully this export will happen soon.

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Zorro like this.