Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 21 Jan 2022.

1. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its odd how new admin buildings seem to often get priority in the need to do list! :D

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although Hamilton badly needed a new administration building, the new building doesn’t solve the issues of the old building. A single point of sale means there’s still a bottleneck on busy days - which easily could have been solved with seperate desks for those that need to buy tickets and those who don’t (online tickets and annual passes).

With regards to the masterplan, Hamilton needs to identify points of difference which still align with the goals of the region. Sri Lankan leopard and Spotted hyena are both obvious choices that are held by no other New Zealand zoo and could easily be imported.

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Zorro like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Plains Zebra Update

Hamilton Zoo have updated their zebra listings:

Okavango and Delta (colts), have left the zoo.

Pebbles is now listed as a colt (misexed).

The colt born in January 2022 has been named Nguvu.

Their holdings are as follows:

1.0 Malawi (12/03/2012)
    0.1 Marbles (06/10/2003) Due Jan 2023
    0.1 Zalika (30/11/2011) Due Nov 2022
    1.0 Pebbles (10/01/2021) Malawi x Marbles
    0.1 Wednesday (31/10/2021) Malawi x Zalika
    1.0 Nguvu (20/01/2022) Malawi x Marbles

Patrick Keegan, Matt_C and Zorro like this.
  4. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Some news from hamilton:
    -lace monitors are going on display in the renovated greenhouse enclosure
    -sali has returned to Hamilton
    -Scout not Reggie is destined for Hamilton, there is pressure as they want to import a female for Reggie ASAP.
    -caracal are the most likely species for the painted dog exhibit near the safari enclosure, though hyena, clouded leopard and serval are other options being explored

5. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update @Matt_C. Though Laced monitors aren’t a high profile species, it’s nice to see the zoo making progress.

I’m glad they’re looking at phasing out the smaller African wild dog exhibit; rather than the larger exhibit, which is perfect for that species.

Clouded leopard would be a terrible fit for the African wild dog exhibit. It’d need extensive modification and under the current viewing set up, you’d never see them. Spotted hyena are too large, but Caracal and Serval are both good options. Ideally they, Auckland and Wellington would all align on which felid species they hold - with Orana Wildlife Park potentially joining them.

Matt_C, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  6. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Other snippets:
    -the two younger siamangs are now cohabiting and are getting along very well. Unfortunately there is no recommendation to breed.
    -exploring sourcing another older siamang as company for the older male now living alone
    -17 ringtail lemurs in main troop with no current breeding male or plans to breed in near future
    -unfortunately the spider monkeys have had no pregnancies, again talk of sourcing a new breeding male.
    -old red panda enclosure is being heavily renovated, presumably for additional red panda imports
    -no plans to aquire female black and white ruffed lemurs at this stage

Last edited: 17 Dec 2022
    Patrick Keegan, Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  7. Zoofan15

It’s a shame they’ve separated Itam the Siamang from his grandaughter. They took a while to bond, but eventually did and were a close pair by the end of their time together.

The decision to separate them would make more sense if there was a breeding recommendation - though at least they’ll be bonded by the time a breeding recommendation is in place.

Patrick Keegan and Matt_C like this.
  8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hamilton have welcomed a new zebra foal to Zalika! I’ll have to confirm the gender but it was born earlier this month.

Also there’s no zebra named Delta according to Hamilton.

The two young colts are Okavango and Zambia and they are currently off display behind the giraffe and are being prepared for transfer.

Info all from email. :)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear Zalika’s foal was delivered safely. Last I was aware, Marble is due late January so hopefully they’ll be a second foal before long.

You can blame me for the Delta mix up. Delta is Zambia. I recorded his name correctly in Post #1 of this thread; but in writing Okavango above, it must have tricked my mind into following it with Delta due to the Okavango Delta.

Their details are:

1.0 Okavango (27/12/2019) Malawi x Marble
    1.0 Zambia (30/12/2019) Malawi x Zalika

Matt_C, Patrick Keegan and Jambo like this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fingers crossed its a girl! :)

Yes I thought that was where the mix up was from; it’s all good really. Hamilton seemed to pick up on the small mistake nonetheless.

I did ask where the two young colts would be sent. Auckland’s a possibility (currently being without a stallion).

Matt_C and Zoofan15 like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Nepalese Red Panda Import Update

According to their socials, Hamilton Zoo are importing a male red panda from Perth Zoo.

Perth Zoo have two males:

1.0 Sombaar (20/12/2012) Chito x Tayla
    1.0 Sang (02/12/2019) Sombaar x Maiya

Due to their ages, we can assume Sang is the one coming to Hamilton; while their close relatedness to Jamuna implies they won’t be a breeding pair.

In any case, Jamuna is getting on in years and descends from a well represented line.