Join our zoo community

Hamlyn's Owl-faced Monkeys in UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 6 Jun 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

1. It may have been Antwerp but again I am not sure. I can try and find out.

2. AFAIK Twycross have never bred Hamlyn's- certainly not a surviving birth anyway.

3. Banham Zoo did breed them, at least two births I think.

2. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Curator Fabian Schmidt has told in TV that only 26 owl-faced monkey are living in the european population, only 3 breeding braces:

Leipzig: 3,4
    Edinburgh: 2,2
    Mulhouse: 2,1
    Valencia: 1,1
    Twycross: 1,1
    La Palmyr: 1,1

Berlin: ???
    Szeged: ???
    Antwerp ???
    Amsterdam: ???

3. Pertinax

4. BjoernN

I do not know whether ISIS is correct or not. Maybe the young female at Valencia is "Thea" from Twycross.....

Come to Leipzig in 2011, one breeding group of owl-faced monkeys will share an enclosure with pygmy-hippos, one breeding group will stay at the old monkey-house....

5. Pertinax

I will try and find out whether Twycross still have a pair or not. Their current male is very timid and I don't think they are/were in a good location for breeding anyway- Twycross gets very noisy with children/school parties etc and their enclosure was quite exposed to this (though indoors was private)

Leipzig and maybe Edinburgh seem the best chances for continuing breeding but even Edinburgh used to have more than they have now. Mixing with Pygmy hippo would be okay but I don't think they should be mixed with another(e.g. more aggressive) primate species.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

As far as i Know Twycross still have a pair but i do know at the moment that as far as Twycross is concerned ISIS is pretty much correct so they could be down to just the male.

7. BjoernN

Leipzig and Edinburgh lost their adult owl-faced monkey males in June, very sad news....

8. Pertinax

Disastrous- two breeding males at two of the very few Zoos which actually still breed this species. They really are in danger of becoming lost in Europe.

I have heard that the non-breeding Twycross pair (they do still have a pair) are probably brother and sister(!)- were Gus and Thea both born at Antwerp?- but also that he has a very low sperm count so he may not be worth considering as a viable replacement. The Twycross pair are now in the main Guenon House having moved from the Quarantine enclosure they shared with the Crowned Mangabey. They have a larger enclosure outdoors now.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2010
  9. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I was always sure that Africa Alive had housed this species, however I've just remembered my source, which could itself be incorrect. Maybe this was the same group that was housed at Banham? Did Banham send off its thriving group to Suffolk only for the group to not do well there?

http://www.zoonews.co.uk/IZN/316/IZN-316.htm#twoz

10. Pertinax

I don't think(but not 100% sure) they were ever at Africa Alive, only at Banham. There were a pair plus two offspring(male and female I think). They simply disappeared and I don't know where or what happened to them.

11. BjoernN

@Pertinax
    After the death of "Kwanza" (born at London Zoo 1993) Leipzig Zoo has arranged 3 new groups.

Group I: 0,1 Anita (born at Leipzig Zoo in 1996, Herkules x Petra), 0,1 Kela (born at Leipzig Zoo in 2007, Kwanza x Anita), 1,0 Kindu (born at Leipzig Zoo in 2009, Kwanza x Anita) - this group needs a new adult male.

Group II: 1,0 Kibo (born at Leipzig Zoo in 2005, Kwanza x Anita), 0,1 Klara (born at Leipzig Zoo in 1999, Kwanza x Kerstin)

Group III: 1,0 Zuri (born at London Zoo in 1999, brother of Kwanza), 0,1 Kora (born at Leipzig Zoo in 2001, Kwanza x Kerstin)

There is still one breeding pair left at Mulhouse Zoo, the female at Mulhouse is Kamina (born 2002 at Leipzig Zoo, Kwanza x Kerstin).

In 1999 1,2 Owl-faced monkeys from Leipzig Zoo went to Berlin Zoo, 0,1 Petra (born at Antwerp Zoo in 1982, she died in 2003), 0,1 Thea (born at Leipzig Zoo in 1996, she went to Twycross in 2006) and 1,0 Zeus (born at Leipzig Zoo in 1997, unfortunately I lost his track). It is possible that "Gus" at Twycross is "Zeus", he is a half-brother of "Thea".

12. Pertinax

13. Sengi

Sengi Member

Ive heard rumours of a number of these beautiful monkeys being imported from the states to the UK soon to which zoo I cant remember!:)

14. Pertinax

There are none in US zoos anymore. The last few were imported to the UK(to Marwell) many years ago but have long been lost to the population now.

ISIS lists a world zoo total of 11.12- all in European Zoos, but with the loss of two more males that should probably now be 9.12.

15. Sengi

Sengi Member

I just checked my notes and you are off course right, it was L'hoests I was thinking off!

16. Pertinax

If some more L'Hoest's are coming to the UK that's interesting, especially if you can find out which zoo they may be going to.

17. Malachi

Malachi Member

3.3 L'Hoest's are coming to Edinburgh from San Diego to do quarantine before moving out to other European collections.
    One female will remain to be paired up with the single young male, Kizizi. This should happen around September and is very significant for the future of the current population in Europe.
    There are currently 0.2 Hamlyns at Edinburgh - 1.0 offspring left for Artis last year.

18. Pertinax

Thankyou for this information.

Re the Hamlyn's- this leaves the UK with just four animals- 1.3, at present.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What are the recommendations for Hamlyn's in the UK?
    (vs. those on the Continent)???? :confused:

20. Pertinax

I don't have a clue! :(

But Edinburgh now need an adult male for their two females, while the Twycross pair appear to be both related and non-breeders. However this male(currently the only one in the UK) may not be any good reproductively. He was also very timid when kept with more than one(three) female previously- so amalgamating the remaining 1.3 animals might not be as successful as it might initially suggest.
    But I still hope they don't become a 'phase-out' species here.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010