Join our zoo community

Hamlyn's Owl-faced Monkeys in UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pertinax, 6 Jun 2007.

1. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have just received an older hamlyn-monkey studbook from 1995.

Here some information, I hope we can find out together, which animals are still alive at european zoos:

Banham received 1,2 hamlyn monkeys in April 1996 (1,0 Mario from Leipzig [born 1990], 0,1 Moazah from Edinburgh [born 1991] and a wild caught female from La Palmyre Zoo [born 1977]).

The last male at London Zoo was Kikwit [born at Edinburgh in 1995], he is supposed to be the single male at Antwerp now.

Valencia received 0,4 old and non-breeding females from Paris (the last two hamlyn-monkeys there) and La Palmyr in 2007, one female died, one male from Leipzig [1,0 Kasai, born 2003] arrived in 2009.

Berlin Zoo received one female from Twycross Zoo in 2007 [probably 0,1 Veronica] and sent 0,1 Thea [born at Leipzig in 1996] to Twycross.

Berlin received 1,2 old monkeys from Antwerp Zoo in 2009 after they sent 1,0 Zuri [born at London in 1999] to Leipzig.

Twycross kept 1,2 hamlyn monkeys in 1996, 1,0 Congo [born ~1985, wild caught, he arrived in september 1994], 0,1 Topaz [born at Edinburgh in 1989] and 0,1 Mistle [born 23.12.1995 at Twycross, Congo x Topaz].

I hope we can find out together which animals are still alive at european zoos to create a kind of a database. I assembled much information during the last months and I would agree to manage a collection of hamlyn monkeys at zoochat.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a good idea.

1. Banham. They bred at least one young from their trio (about 1997). However they later disappeared from this zoo though I don't know if they were were transferred or died, or some of both.

2. Twycross at one time had 1.3. We also know that the current 1.1 non breeding pair are different animals though(Gus/Zeus(?) & Thea)

3. Valencia- it seems they have lost one or more females since this group was set up. An open mixed enclosure with Gorillas etc was a bad choice to try and set up a fresh group IMO. I believe they require quiet and cover to be successful in captivity .

Presumably a move will be soon be made to provide Edinburgh with a new breeding male- possibly the SB holder might recommend the pair (or just the male) from Twycross to go there? Edinburgh has a far better breeding record with them than Twycross, who have never actually bred them.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  3. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to ISIS, a male hamlyn monkey was born in 2010.