Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Birds of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by twilighter, 22 Apr 2020.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This series are very popular and I am sure many Zoochat fellows have a special place for the volumes in their library, but didn't find a dedicated thread and opened a new one. I have never been a Bird nerd, but will never forget my huge excitement when I heard about Handbook of the Birds of the World more than two decades ago.Unfortunately they left in my dreams and only could afford collecting the Mammals edition years letter. Last night got one of this Godfather offers,you can not refuse and this morning me and my friend with two big suitcases picked up the 16 volumes HBW, Special Volume and Checklist Vol. 1 in pristine condition.Didn't have chance to explore them yet and a lot had been written, about them. But I would probably not exaggerate, if say, that this is the best Natural History Encyclopedia ever published. I am starting the thread also for the younger Zoochaters, who are not aware of this books and are interested in Ornithology. Needless to say, that can provide data or pictures, if someone is interested in.

Handbook of the Birds of the World – Lynx Edicions

Attached Files:

Last edited: 22 Apr 2020
  2. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You will not be disappointed.

twilighter likes this.
  3. twilighter

Thank you @Bird Lover, I am sure I won't. It is interesting to see, that even they evolved trough the years, the quality is impressive from volume 1(1992) and the initial idea was for around 10 volumes.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wow, you are very lucky! I am suitably jealous now.

twilighter likes this.
  5. twilighter

Thank you @Chlidonias ! I am basically following the second hand market for years, with one eye on HBW and even considering buying the Checklist and few particular volumes, hardly imagined to get the full collection one day. It is almost childish excitement.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A godfather offer indeed :eek:

I had a similar opportunity, albeit at rather smaller scale, several months ago when I was given the chance to pick up the complete nine-volume set of Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic :) but compared to your stroke of luck, this is nothing!

twilighter likes this.
  7. twilighter

Thank you @TeaLovingDave ! The monumental collection you have was also in my scope, together with 8 vol. The Birds of Africa. The best part with HBW is probably, that is not out of print yet and the prices can be "reasonable" .I can not afford the Ebay prices anyway, but remember, when the Vol 11 was out of print it reached ridiculous value.

8. twilighter