Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Hix, 7 Jan 2009.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

No photos to help them sadly but good to hear the next one's gearing up - I'm expecting quite a fun one - as it should be all the mammals left that aren't bats there should be some nice weird stuff in there!

lintworm and bongorob like this.
  2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd be happy for HMW to use my colugo photos.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now that the first few volumes have been out a couple of years, what do you guys think? I've considered buying the ones I'm most interested in (probably carnivores and sea mammals, though volume 2 and the rodents are also very tempting if I can convince myself the expense is worth it), but I know some of the cat species don't quite line up with the general opinion, and there's a lot of "issues" with the ungulates. Some parts, like the giraffes, would already be considered outdated. Do you think these will hold up over the next decade or two? Are zoos, etc starting to go by the species described in HMW?

5. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel like they're already kind of outdated in a few ways. I doubt most of those bovid splits will stick around for example.

But honestly all I want are those sweet sweet plates! If they released cheaper plate-only volumes by some miracle I'd be all over them.

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I prefair to use the word "logic" rather than "outdated".

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The problem with books is that they are outdated the moment they are available and HMW is no exception. HMW is however still the best collection of mammal books out there, though it has some serious flaws:

- There is a huge inconsistency between chapters, both in level of detail, as in what is described under certain sections (especially obvious in "relationships with humans"). The taxonomy used is also inconsistent between chapters, especially obvious when looking at the Ungulates volume, but also in the recognition of subspecies or not.

- The taxonomy of the Ungulate book is hugely flawed, with only the Bovids family using the new taxonomy proposed by G&G, which is both arguably wrong and unaccepted by the scientific community.

- The plates in the Primates volume are done by Nash and not by Toni Llobet, who illustrates the other volumes. Llobet's image quality is about 100x better than Nash, so the plates in the primate volume are a real eyesore...

Chlidonias, Giant Panda and bongorob like this.
  8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lynx did 2 volumes of plates for the bird volumes. I think that it will do the same for mammals as well as pictures of new species since the original volumes were published.

Okapipako likes this.
  9. danigirl93

danigirl93 Member

Lynx posted the publication date for volume 8 as June 2018 on their website today! Looking forward to this volume!

10. Kevin

Kevin Member

Sample plates,photos and accounts now available for volume 8 on the Lynx website

11. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you! I know that they quickly become outdated, but with a series like this, that makes all these changes to currently-held beliefs, it's a bit more of questioning whether institutions change to go along with what HMW has put out, or whether it gets talked about for a bit and then forgotten about/blown off (like the bovid species).

I read the initial posts about the primates volume, I'm glad I'm not very interested in primates :) I think I'll pass on the ungulates as well, it seems a bit pointless to get that one to help me learn species if their classifications are so out of sync with the rest of zoology.

12. Kevin

Kevin Member

Publication date for volume 8 now 30 July 2018, discount offer ends 15 June 2018

bongorob likes this.
  13. Kevin

Kevin Member

Lynx website now advises that publication date has been brought back to 30 June 2018

14. CatDog

CatDog Member

The publication date and pre-publication offer limit have changed again and have had a slight delay (as usual). The new pre-publication offer is until July 16th and the publication date is 30/7.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not too bad, given that was the original publication date anyway.....

16. TeaLovingDave

Interestingly, the Lynxeds site updated to state the book was in-stock on the 23rd, a week early. However, I have still not had any confirmation that my pre-order has been shipped as yet, so perhaps they are keeping to the publication date for the purposes of pre-orders :p

Anyone else who *has* received shipping confirmation - or failing that, who knows roughly how long it usually takes between publication and shipping from prior experience of HMW volumes?

17. CatDog

CatDog Member

In fact the volume was printed about a week earlier, around 23-26 of July, and was most probably shipped immediately after the printing (according to the fact that a BirdForum's member who lives in southern France received his copy on 28 of July, around 2-5 days after the ''in stock'' sign), so I don't think that the pre-orders statement could be true. Now, concerning the shipping information and shipping time length, the issue is more complicated. Until very recently (about 2 or 3 months ago) in the sales conditions section of Lynx's website it was stated that the delivery in all EU countries was via a courier company and the time needed for arrival was about 3-8 days. Indeed, it was true, as when I pre-ordered the 7th volume last year I received a mail from UPS with shipping information and route until delivery 1 day after the publication. The volume also arrived around 5 days after this e-mail was sent. But, as I already said, the things have changed now. The main cause was that when I ordered the 5th volume 2-3 months ago I waited about 8 days for shipping information of any kind, but received nothing. So, I communicated with Lynx Editions about it and learned that for some EU countries, like mine (Greece), the delivery is not anymore via courier but via postal service. So no shipping information and no traceable deliveries. The good thing is that because of this misconception and the fact I noticed their unintended misinforming in their Sales Conditions section they updated it. Finally, my volume arrived 2 days later, exactly 10 days after buying, via postal service. In my opinion, based on the fact that Great Britain is excluded from EU countries (at least at their site's section) you most probably won't receive any shipping information and the delivery will take at least 10 days to arrive, just like mine. So most probably you will have your copy some time in the next 2 or at max 3 weeks.

The following is a shortcut to Lynx's Sales Conditions section if somebody else wants to check what applies to European countries after the update:

Sales conditions | Lynx Edicions

18. TeaLovingDave

That link contains an interesting little caveat where delivery to the UK is concerned....

Subject to import duties and taxes. Any additional charges for customs clearance is the responsibility of the customer. Customs policies vary from country to country.

Given the size and price of the book, if a customs fee is required this will *substantially* increase the overall cost.

19. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. CatDog

CatDog Member

Not even a month has passed from the publication of Volume 8 and Lynx is already asking for photos of bats for the 9th Volume. Wow, that was really fast!

Request for Photos for the Handbook of the Mammals of the World: Bats - Mammal Watching

By the way, has anyone received his copy of the 8th Volume yet? And if he/she has, is it as astonishing and good-edited as the other installments of the series? (I bet that it is, but I haven't had my copy yet, so I can't have a clear opinion)