Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Hix, 7 Jan 2009.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

My copy arrived this morning :) interestingly, the references and full index are not included in the main body of the book, being found on an enclosed CD-ROM, due to space constraints. For similar reasons, the species and family accounts have been substantially abridged from the initial drafts - apparently the book would have topped 1200 pages without these edits.

twilighter and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

HOLY ****!

Yeah, as much as I would like one of these nifty-looking books, I can't afford it.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Oct 2019
  3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps you could afford the book if you collected and sold bat guano as fertiliser.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Oct 2019
  4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mine hasn't arrived, yet. How are the Plates ? How do you feel , about the new guy Ilian Velikov ?

5. TeaLovingDave

The plates seem pretty good, from all artists concerned :)

twilighter likes this.
  6. twilighter

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read on Birdforum that they are planning an Illustrated Checklist of Mammals (just as they did with the birds). The primate illustrations will be done by Ilian Velikov, a Bulgarian artist who has a beautiful style and has already contributed significantly to the Bats volume of HMW (among other field guides). One wonders why they did not have the wisdom to let the plates in the original HMW primates book be drawn by somebody who can actually draw animals.

It also makes me wonder what kind of taxonomy they will follow or whether it will be the same inconsistent approach taken until now.

Ebirah766 and twilighter like this.
  8. TeaLovingDave

Now, now :p it was only really the apes that were illustrated poorly! The prosimian ones were very good, too.

twilighter and sooty mangabey like this.
  9. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m so glad I waited it out! The plates were more or less the entire reason I wanted this set, but I’ve still never had the money to spare on the volumes I wanted years later, and was hoping for either a single book dedicated to them, or a subscription based website like HBW Online (soon to be shifted to a different site and title, now). I’d happily splurge on a single book with all the plates.

10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is the new book going to include species discovered since HBW began?

11. Carlos M

Carlos M Well-Known Member

According to the first book of a new series of Regional Illustrated checklists from Lynx, it is said that the upcoming Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World will include the most recent changes and the new species described since the publication of the respective HMW volume. It also says that they will update and homogenize the taxonomic treatment followed in the HMW series.

lintworm, TinoPup and twilighter like this.
  12. lintworm

Let's hope the last sentence doesn't mean 100 species of Red Deer...

PossumRoach, TinoPup and twilighter like this.
  13. twilighter

I got message in FB from Lynx, that they are planing "regional checklists of many regions" and I assume most of them will appear before the earlier mentioned "eagerly awaited Checklist of the Mammals of the World".

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They have already started on these. I know there is one just out for "Mammals of the Southern Cone: Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay"

Kind of wish they'd started with areas which weren't covered in other works though - e.g. there is Mammals of South America which although clearly not of any use as a field guide still covers all the mammals (albeit not with the HBW taxonomy) and can be used pre-trip for making up notes, whereas somewhere like most of Indonesia doesn't have anything usable.

twilighter likes this.
  15. lintworm

Looking at the sample plates of the coming soon "Mammals of South Asia" it is good to see that the new primate plates are a huge improvement. They do however stick with their hugely inconsistent taxonomy, following all the G&G splits (regardless of evidence) for the Bovids, but use the traditional approach for all the other families. E.g. Common Muntjac is not split, even though there is pretty good recent evidence and this is accepted by IUCN, but Takin are..

Mammals of South Asia – Lynx Edicions

twilighter likes this.
  16. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Sorry to trouble you all but has anybody ordered from Lynx Ed. before and how does it work? Do they ship to India?

17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Primate plates are good, agreed.

At first look, one big omission is no detailed description of range. In practice, many mammals, especially recent splits, are best identified by range not visually. E.g. hoolocks gibbons east/west of the Chindwin River. The best would be, for rarer species, a list of reserves where it occurs/was reported. In practice, many mammals will be twitched in few known reserves, or are nowadays restricted to few particular reserves.

Following, map is often too general. Smaller map for restricted species would be better, e.g. showing e.g. only the region of Assam/Arunuchal Pradesh or the tip of Indian Peninsula and Sri Lanka. It would be similar to the Colllins Bird Guide which shows for some species only the Middle East or only the Iberian Peninsula.

18. twilighter

This means, they will keep the G&G for the others too. The new primates look good and will make us buy the final Illustrated Checklist.

They will probably stick to the 9 volumes taxonomy, until vol 10. will appear :)

Last edited: 8 Jun 2020
  19. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't see why not; I've ordered from them before and books were sent to UK just fine. If I recall, big books like the HMW volumes are sent by courier, but the Southern Cone book arrived by regular post I think.

20. twilighter

HMW is shipped Worldwide by Lynx. It used to be free shipping, but not anymore.