Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Hix, 7 Jan 2009.

1. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Unable to be certain, as specific illustrations do not appear to be credited. These three genera are more stylised than old world monkeys, which are by Velikov . Correction to my previous note; Titis are not by Nash, but many Callitrichids are. I think only one Cheirogaleid is by Nash. Hope this helps.

Carlos M likes this.
  2. UplU

UplU Member

Thank you!

If only they took more time to replace Nash’s illustrations with new ones, the new illustrations are of high quality, especially Faansie’s ( Lynx posted a sample plate depicting some Galago species on their Instagram).

Carlos M likes this.
  3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello, all

I've had an e-mail from Lynx saying that the UK will be part of the EU until the end of the year.

Hopefully, I'll get the illustrated Handbook of Mammals in a few days.

The illustrated Handbook of all extant insects may take a bit longer

4. Kevin

Kevin Member

Lynx advise the Checklist has been mailed today, but may take up to 60 days to reach Australia

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

My copy arrived today :)

twilighter likes this.
  6. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My book is currently being processed, knowing and I don't feel as nervous since I know that US books won't get shipped until the end of the month.

I'd post a gif of a dancing man to show my excitement but the file is too large.

7. Dassie rat

I received the Handbook yesterday. Unfortunately, Volume 2 has been bound upside down

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They probably sent you my copy by mistake!

Ituri likes this.
  9. Tetzoo Quizzer

Well it does contain the bats!

twilighter and Dassie rat like this.
  10. Tetzoo Quizzer

More seriously, in similar situations with other companies they have issued a replacement and not required return of the faulty one.

twilighter and Dassie rat like this.
  11. Carlos M

Carlos M Well-Known Member

There's a new entry on Lynx blog, where they interviewed Connor Burgin, one of the editors of the Checklist. It's interesting that he acknowledged how controversial Groves and Grubb Ungulate Taxonomy is, but despite everything, it was included in the checklist. I cannot wait to finally have and read what it says about it.

boro745 and twilighter like this.
  12. PossumRoach

How can I tell if the printing is done and the book is waiting to be shipped?

13. Kevin

Kevin Member

Received my copy today. The Primate illustrations are very much improved. It is a pity that no illustrations of extinct mammals are included.

Dassie rat likes this.
  14. UplU

UplU Member

Galagos drawn by artist Faansie Peacock as part of the new primate illustrations included in the illustrated checklist of the mammals of the world, impressive artwork!

IMG_6465.jpg

15. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After a long wait, finally received my copy today and can wholeheartedly agree that only the Primate illustrations are good enough reason to acquire this historic volumes. Coincidentally the Dr. Castello's Felids and Hyenas of the World arived yesterday, so it's going to be a great weekend :)

Last edited: 14 Nov 2020
    Carlos M and Antoine like this.
  16. Dassie rat

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

17. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There is 15 euro additional discount on the Checklist and Volumes 4, 5 and 9 until the 3th of December. The code is FLASHMAM

Last edited: 26 Nov 2020
  18. PossumRoach

Has any American/Canadian users received their illustrated checklist yet?

19. Carlos M

Carlos M Well-Known Member

Not an american, but my order has to arrived to Florida first before being delivered to my country. I've contacted Lynx about its status, and they answered this 10 days ago:

Due to the large number of pre-orders we received from our US customers, we organized a bulk shipment of books by sea, which departed on the 26th October (as you know, commercial flights have been reduced due to Covid and surface mail to the US was becoming an almost impossible mission). The ship arrived at the port of New Jersey on Sunday, 8th November, but the authorities sent out warnings that the NJ piers terminals were suffering from high volumes, congestion and chassis shortages and this generated notable delays in the processing of the shipments. This has now been resolved and the shipment has been processed.

The merchandise has finally arrived at the warehouse of the freight forwarder / distributor who is the one who “unpacks” the shipping container. Once they have the individual packages, they send them by USPS, which is when the tracking numbers are assigned. Once the merchandise is in distribution, it takes an average of 3 days for deliveries.

However, according to the USPS tracking number that they gave me, the order has not been delivered yet, as its status is "Pre-shipment" yet (I don't know exactly what that means, but probably not good news). Yesterday I've emailed Lynx once again, but they haven't answered yet. Probably all the orders have the same problem, I imagined.

I'm getting kind of nervous... :(

20. PossumRoach

this is also what I have and I don’t feel too good about it either. Thanksgiving definitely didn’t help.