Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Hix, 7 Jan 2009.

1. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

When you say this:

Do you mean that it it ONLY worth buying if you want the new primate illustrations
    or
    Do you mean that the new primate illustrations ALONE are a good enough reason to buy it?

I have HMW volumes 1,2 & 3 but wondering if I should just abandon ship and go with the checklist.

2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I mean the latter, but there are definitely more reasons to buy it, especially if you do not have the complete set. I have all nine volumes and the new Primate illustrations were very important addition, imo. The checklist has some weaknesses of course: not very reliable illustrations of the new species; lack of illustrations of the extinct species; retained Ungulate taxonomy and not the best editing. Nevertheless is a historical reference for the mammal lovers.

3. toothlessjaws

@twilighter Thanks.

I'd really like the the monotreme and marsupial volume of HMW, but then I can just buy this new checklist for just a little more and get everything plus the new primate illustrations. very tempting.

Dassie rat and twilighter like this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Everything except the chapter on recently extinct marsupials, including all the illustrations therein :p

5. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Remember that the checklist does not include the family texts either; do you want in depth treatment, but less up to date taxonomy, or just the most up to date species list? (If you have to choose).

6. twilighter

As was discussed above, is hard to replace the original volumes with the Checklist. Most of the illustrations and distribution are there, but the family and the species accounts texts, written by some of the greatest authorities in their field, are not. Sorry to make the things more difficult for you, but I feel that for one living in Australia, volume V is really fundamental.

7. toothlessjaws

Well, in the end I figured why can't I have both? I have ordered the checklist, but will continue in my never ending quest to find a cheap 2nd hand copy of HMW Volume 5 (or any others).

I actually got very lucky and in separate buys, found very cheap, brand new copies of HMW 1,2 & 3. But it's been years of hunting for more volumes for a 3rd of the price. I guess lots of people signed up and then decided not to stick it out, hence getting lucky finding the first few volumes but none thereafter....

twilighter likes this.
  8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. twilighter

I found some great deals on Ebay for a few of the Grzimek's volumes from 1972 and 1989 ( Hoofed mammals and Carnivores mainly ). The 1989 edition is pretty nice and only my Walker's Mammals of the World from that time can beat it. Even updated, the 2003 Grzimek edition (pdf) is not my favorite one.

No matter how many flaws HMW has, is by far the best thing ever happened to the people who love literature about mammals.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2020
  10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that HMW is the most complete volume on mammals. I was really impressed when I saw the 2nd edition of Walker's Mammals of the World at London's Natural History Museum. It had details about all known genera of mammals and illustrations of the vast majority. It also treated each genus relatively equally, so bats and rodents had many pages devoted to them. Later volumes devoted more pages to some of the far better known genera than did earlier volumes, but never to the same level where some mammal books devote more space to elephants than they do to bats.

twilighter likes this.
  11. Tetzoo Quizzer

I am thinking of getting rid of a copy of the 2nd edition if anyone is interested and happy to pay for postage....

twilighter likes this.
  12. twilighter

I would love to have it, if someone else did not ask before me :)

13. Tetzoo Quizzer

It’s yours, I’ll investigate cost and get back to you.

twilighter likes this.
  14. twilighter

Great! Thank you so much :)

15. UplU

UplU Member

For those who got their copy of the Illustrated checklist of the mammals of the world, can you please give me your opinion about the new primate plates and how each artist’s illustrations stand in comparison ?

Thank you

16. twilighter

As I mentioned earlier, in my opinion the Primate plates are good enough reason to buy this book. Not all of them are the same quality, but the standard is really high. Even the old Nesh' illustrations of Callitrichidae got some facelift. My personal favorites are the families Lemuridae (F. Peacock) and The Old World Monkeys, Cercopithecidae ( I.Velikov). Is there any particular families you are interested in ?

17. Tetzoo Quizzer

It is also the case that some plates are by more than one artist, and in these cases the individual animals are not credited.

twilighter likes this.
  18. UplU

UplU Member

Thanks!

I’m just wondering which artist handled the rest of the New world Monkeys apart from Nash ( Callitrichidae) ?

Thanks again.

19. twilighter

L. Soborb & I. Velikov. Btw I.Velikov also took part in Callitrichidae.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2020
  20. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just got my illustrated checklist and I am surprised no one has brought up the absence of dromedary camels yet (the book considers them domesticated). I am aware that this is the “illustrated checklist” and not the “ALL the mammals of the world” so expecting every mentioned extinct and domestic animal is a bit far fetched. But recalling that domestic hoofstock was illustrated on the HMW i am sad that they were absent from the checklist. But I am still thankful for my book.

Carlos M and Cassidy Casuar like this.