Join our zoo community

Hangzhou Zoo Hangzhou Zoo News

Discussion in 'China' started by Kifaru Bwana, 16 May 2014.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A small feature / article on a recent exchange of some (concolor) gibbons (Nomascus sp.).

Link: Gibbon Hang Hang from Hangzhou Zoo becomes peace maker in Jiangsu - What's On Ningbo

I am afraid the essence of this conservation breeding deal got somewhat lost in translation.

I would hope that the net result at the Yangzhou Zoo is two unrelated breeding pairs. And perhaps, Hangzhou Zoo ended up with a breeding pair also.

Perhaps, our Chinese forumsters can inform better on details here!

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Internet, Xiaoxi is moved from Yangzhou to Hangzhou Zoo, as an exchange for Hanghang. The local ZooChater @maplexzx may be more familiar with this :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. maplexzx

maplexzx Member

You got me... In fact, I never got the news about it from local media in Hangzhou. And the primate enclosures in Hangzhou are really complicated. Around half of them can not be visit. The only things I can say is that there are at least 7 gibbons in Hangzhou zoo, as I know. 3 of them are female, 2 of them are male, and another 2 are unknown.

Sorry buddy, That's the only info I got.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

6. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Who I most concern is the circus elephant mother and son. It's very precious that circus elephant can breed. The father elephant belongs to Hangzhou Zoo, and Hangzhou Zoo doesn't have their own breeding female!

The one-year-old elephant calf has disapper after the decision that the circus would leave was made. Maybe he had be send to other place by the circus in advance, and the mother elephant will stay at Hangzhou Zoo until the last day.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A Chinese golden cat (Catopuma temminckii dominicanorum), believed to be the last captive specimen of this subspecies anywhere in the world, passed away in Hangzhou Zoo on Jan. 28.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's a sad news.So now the only golden cat in China is in Chongqing?

10. Ding Lingwei

Chengdu Zoo hold an off-exhibit individual. There are also two rescued animals in Zigong and Shehong (both in Sichuan Province).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Ding Lingwei

Himimomi, baboon and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I've uploaded a tranche of photos to the Hangzhou gallery from a visit last July (2018). Of particular note is the excellent new(ish) Chimpanzee enclosure, which I think hasn't been documented on the site before.

Overall, I found the zoo to be charming and clearly striving to move in the right direction. The old small mammal exhibits make for pretty painful viewing, but even here it could be seen that the zoo has made improvements in some areas, like the fantastic fennec fox exhibit. The best thing to see was the security guard stopping visitors feeding the chimps; this has become a real bugbear of mine in China and this was the first time I had seen a zoo implement such an effective counter measure, rather than just putting up signs.

https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/categories/hangzhou-zoo.2076/

13. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hangzhou Zoo have reassured visitors that their sun bears are real and not humans in a costume, after footage of a bear standing on its hind legs prompted online rumors. Visits are being arranged for reporters to see the bear on Monday to confirm that it is real.

More information can be seen in the link below:
    Hangzhou Zoo: Our bears are real, not humans in disguise

noobmaster69 likes this.
  14. Arogee67

Arogee67 New Member

Well, at the very minimum they're going to see more people there to see the bear exhibit for themselves, which of course means a bit of extra money from the visitors.