Join our zoo community

Hardest species to breed..?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by NZ Jeremy, 16 Dec 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

These birds have been bred pedro:

Blue-crowned Lory (Vini australis) 2000 London Zoo
    Tahiti Blue Lory (V.peruviana) 1938 Duke of Bedford
    Ultramarine Lory (V.ultramarina) 1939 Duke of Bedford
    I think San Diego has also achieved success with the Vini peruviana

The species above are success in the UK that I am aware of.

Regarding hornbills I think that rufous hornbills are hard to breed, but only in Temperate climates, as many private asian collections do well with them.

Tarictics are hard to breed if the are not kept in suitable enclosures.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  2. Writhedhornbill

Pedro, do you have any pictures of Ultramarine lories?

3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Private breeders breed such birds better than any zoo.

Little bird park in Veldhoven, Holland has above three. They were all bred and donated by private person. Veldhoven was amazing - lots of most unusual birds, usually not labelled.

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Spot on!
    If you want to save any species from extinction, let private breeders keep it.
    Australian parrots such as Princess Alexandra's (Polytelis alexandrae) and the Scarlet-chested or Splendid (Neophema splendida) are rarely seen in the wild but are common aviary birds worldwide due to the efforts of private breeders.

With beautiful softbills such as those mentioned by Pedro, serious private breeders who are not concerned with display are the way to go.

5. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

It depends on the individual private breeder and his/her sense of responsibility, competence and means (both money, location and time-wise) as well as the organisation of them and the money available. Otherwise You mighte nd up inter-/intraspecific hybrids, colour morphs, stubborn owners who don't want to exchange specimen for breeding because they have a personal grudge against each other, where the animals end up when the owner dies...etc.
    An "interface" between zoos and private owners like the one in Münster would be the right way to go.

6. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

No pictures of Ultramarine lories, I never saw any for now... but I definitely want to take pics as soon as I know where!!

7. Writhedhornbill

Pedro, if you find any zoo keeping them let me know too as they look like gorgeous little birds, and I'd like to take some pictures too!

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jo, San Deigo zoo used to have them some years ago, dont know if they still have them

9. Writhedhornbill

Is that the Ultramarine?

I know that they have the Tahitian Blue, Blue crowned, Collared, Mount Apo, Talud red and Blue lory, Blue eared lory and mount goliath lorikeets (and probably more!)

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yes Jo that was the Ultramarine

11. Writhedhornbill

Do you have any pictures Mark?

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi sebbe,

It would be nice of more of this stuff would become known outside hornbill breeder circles. I could sure help the image of S.E Asian zoos and all.

Anyhow, are you already locked onto the SEAZA yourself?
    What about your plans form mammals: any progress yet?

Cheers,

Jelle

13. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

Hello Jelle,

Yes it would certinely be a big steep forward if the private breeders here in south-east Asia became more involved with zoos in the region, as it is now the private breeders keep most birds inside local clubs or a small number of breeders and the birds just change hands between the same persons, meaning that alot of species has become inbreed as a result, Rufous hornbill for ex are really rare in asian zoos, not many keeps them while there is a quite large numbers circulating in the hands of private breeders.

I have not had much connection with SEAZA so far but I hope this will improve in the future, they are looking for additional holders for Burmese brown-antlered deer and this is one of the species I want to hold, I have a bit of land that is not used at the moment and which would be perfect for somekind of small or medium sized deer. Hog (Indochinese subspecies) or brown-antlered are the ones aim most intrested in.

The only mammals I have the moment is the Marbled cat and 9 dogs, I had a serval earlier but he has died from old age. A group (9 at the moment but growing) of long-tailed macaques considered a part of my land as belonging to their territory, they usually sleeps on the roof on our house during night and you usually wake in the morning as the baby macaques start playing with eachother on the roof, they are really loud.

I dont expect that I will be able to start building up a serious mammal collection until second quarter of 2008, just to many birds I still want to keep and these are priority right now, I will at least build up my asian hornbill collection and get more pheasants, then I will se what happens. Main problem will be to get mammals from serious people, dont want any wild caught.

My aim is to exclusively keep mammals found in Myanmar and southern Thailand.

Leopard or clouded leopard would be a dream to keep, unfortunely I dont feel I have to room to house either at the moment, I have worked with leopards in Gabon in the past so I have quite a bit of experiance with these.

Cheers
    Sebbe

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hardest species to breed has to be the shoebill stork, simply because it has never been bred in captivity, i know there is a report of a birth in Lumumbashi in Africa but this is unverified. The Shoebill is a very secretive bird which lives deep in the swamps of central Africa, rarely venturing out of the papyrus swamps, cloaked by tall grasses and swamp plants which tells me do not put this bird on display if you want to breed from them, i realise it is not as simple as that.
    Has any zoo let the shoebill catch its own food i.e stock a pond with fairly large fish and let them catch them themselves?

15. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@kiang: See 17.12.2007:
    ;)

The Zoo of Entebbe in Uganda keeps shoebills in an exhibit very similar to what You imagine-although I think that keeping them together with nile monitors won't result in getting a lot of eggs...

16. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Going to try and revamp this thread,

According to my school textbook Rhinos are the second hardest species to breed behind Pandas. ( they didn't state any specific rhino species)
    Also I presume that sea turtles are probably hard to breed?

17. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Your school textbook obviously hasn't tried platypus.

:p

Hix