Join our zoo community

Harp seals

Discussion in 'Canada' started by stacey101, 29 Nov 2012.

1. stacey101

stacey101 Well-Known Member

I'd like you all to meet the wonderful harp seals I get to work with twice a week. Babs is the oldest ( 43! )

Babs
    [​IMG]

Jamie - he isnt a harp, he is a mix between a harbour and something else...but no one knows LOL
    [​IMG]

Deane (Babs daughter)
    [​IMG]

Lenny ( Babs and Tylers son )
    [​IMG]

Tyler
    [​IMG]

This isnt a zoo, its the ocean science center. Why are they there? we preform visual test on them if they want to work to see how a harp seal sees. We are testing their color range, memory and how they differentiate shades.

Hope you all enjoyed! Id have more pictures from the past year but its hard to do with fishy hands

These harps are housed in salt water tanks straight from the atlantic ocean,fresh live mussels are included hourly as the water is pumped in along with a diet mainly herring and caplin

Last edited: 1 Dec 2012
  2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where'd the seals come from? Wild caught, zoos/aquariums, or injured individuals that couldn't be released back into the wild (or maybe a combo)? However they got there, they seem to have a really, really good live.

3. stacey101

hey sorry for the long wait, my firewall expired and I didnt want to risk a virus or worm :p
    2/5 of the current were wild caught 35 ish years ago when that sadly was still legal in Canada ( that was Tyler and Babs along with the previous dead seals like Oscar ) Threw captive breeding we discovered their blood count is MUCH lower then wild seals

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So what does that mean captive seals have less blood than wild ones?:confused:

5. stacey101

we have no idea :rolleyes: just thought id point that out lol xD