Join our zoo community

Harpy Eagles in North American Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 15 Mar 2009.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

According to ISIS there are only 8 zoos in North America that have this fascinating species, and it's a shame that the eagles are not more widespread. I've visited 6 of the collections (San Diego, Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, Miami) but I have never been to either the Dallas Zoo or "Natural Encounters" in Florida.

The best exhibit for harpy eagles is clearly the massive aviary at the San Diego Zoo, but another enclosure that is impressive is the aviary in "Range of the Jaguar" at the Jacksonville Zoo. However, I'm disappointed that there are only 15 harpy eagles at around 220 AZA accredited collections.

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

And as far as i have heard, only San Diego has been/is breeding them

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

The LA zoo does not have their eagle on exhibit. I once heard that they were planning on adding it to the bird show, but I'm not sure if that is still the plan. I know the zoo is also planning in exhibiting them once the new "Rainforest of the Americas" opens.

4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have one on display at the World Center for Birds of Prey run by the Peregrine Fund in Boise, ID.

5. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

Columbus will have them once we open Central/South America in a few years. I hope there will be enough to go around because a lot of zoos plan on addong them apparently.

6. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Natural Encounters in Florida is a company that produces animal shows and does animal training consulting in zoos all over the world. I've worked with their harpies at one of their shows but they weren't flying free (safety reasons both for birds and people). They quite impressive birds!!

7. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

We have a female Harpy at Dallas, but she was taken off exhibit about a week or so ago to introduce a new Bateleteur Eagle (I'm sure my spelling on that is atrocious). Don't know when she will be back out on exhibit. I know Fort Worth has a few as well, I've walked underneath those birds many times. Their exhibit is more like the visitors are in a cage and the birds fly over head.

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is interesting to read all of the responses, as finding out that the Dallas Zoo and Los Angeles Zoo each have their harpy eagles off exhibit is disappointing. There is the relatively obscure World Center for Birds of Prey in Idaho, as well as the flight show at Natural Encounters in Florida, but in reality that leaves 5 major zoos with harpy eagles on exhibit: San Diego, Fort Worth, Jacksonville, Miami and Oklahoma City. Hopefully more zoos can add this species in the next few years...

9. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

I really liked Miami Zoos harpy eagle exhibit because you can walk under the massive raptors and look up at them while they stare down at you. I have also heard that Jax Zoo might not be keeping their harpy eagle for much longer and opting for a smaller bird of prey species to exhibit (Hopefully, Ornate Hawk Eagle)

10. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Dallas' Harpy is only off exhibit temporarily while the male and female Bateleur Eagles are introduced to each other. The Bateleur and Harpy areas are right next to each other so the Bateleurs can interact through the fence for now. The Harpy should be back soon.

11. FSBlue

FSBlue Well-Known Member

I went to the Jacksonville Zoo yesterday and there was a large sign in the Harpy Eagle exhibit that said "New Harpy Eagle coming soon." Anyone know what's going on? Makes me mad because I worked in the Bird department there when Supay was first brought over from San Diego and was my favorite part whenever I went back.

12. FSBlue

FSBlue Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine who still works there. The one Eagle was sent back to San Diego. However, the good news is that the zoo will be getting a male and female from Guyana in the coming months.

13. Kimberly Richter

Kimberly Richter New Member

Does anyone know which zoos still have harpy eagles on exhibit? Would love to take my son to see one .

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Los Angeles still has at least one harpy on exhibit per my visit last month.

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen them in at LA, Dallas, and Dallas World Aquarium in recent years.

~Thylo

16. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Zoo Miami has harpy eagles on exhibit in a nice aviary.

17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For a bit of a twist, go to Belize Zoo :) nice little zoo and they have harpy eagles.

18. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

San Diego has a pair on exhibit as well.

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Anyone know what the situation is with Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, or Jacksonville?

20. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't see any at Fort Worth or OKC last year and this year respectively.

~Thylo

Coelacanth18 likes this.