Join our zoo community

Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium (Closed) Has anybody been to the Audubon Insectarium?

Discussion in 'United States' started by DavidBrown, 9 Jul 2016.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One of the major zoological institutions that no one here has really reviewed or posted pictures of is the Audubon Insectarium in New Orleans. It is a sister institution of the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium of the Americas and is AZA accredited.

Has anybody here been there? From the website it looks like a cool and fun celebration and exploration of invertebrates. One of their featured attractions is the Bug Kitchen where they do live cooking demonstrations of insect-based dishes. http://audubonnatureinstitute.org/insectarium

If anybody has been there, a review would be appreciated if you have time.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2016
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Tim Brown, chairman of the Independent Zoo Enthusiasts Society and visitor of approximately 740 different zoos, published a fairly comprehensive review in the spring 2013 edition of the brilliant quarterly magazine Zoo Grapevine. Tim called the facility "one of the world's finest living invertebrate displays". He mentioned how there is essentially "one long corridor" with "various thematic rooms off the same corridor". There is "a recreation of an old-style New Orleans street showing insects of the locality"; an exhibit for mosquitoes!!; a cafe that serves up bugs for lunch; an "Underground Gallery with giant animatronic fossorial invertebrates"; and a Hall of Fame Gallery with mounted specimens. One whole room is set aside as the Termite Gallery; another room is a Louisiana Swamp, yet another focuses on metamorphosis and there is a Butterflies in Flight room that has a Japanese garden theme with around 30 species on show. He ends the review by saying: "This is a facility of contemplation and curiosity that would be spoiled by pushing and shoving to view a Cactus Longhorn Beetle...the Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium is a gem of world-class status that you should see if ever you get the chance."

On a personal note, I've visited New Orleans twice and toured 7 out of Louisiana's 11 zoos but I've never made it to the insect zoo. I'll have to change that if I'm ever in that part of the world again.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for sharing Tim Brown's review. It sounds like a fun place. I hope to see it someday too.

4. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is the best insect/invertebrate exhibit I've ever seen, hands down. Puts the zoo and aquarium to shame.