Join our zoo community

Hawaiian animals in captvity.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by drill, 26 Feb 2017.

Tags:
  1. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of zoos that have or had Hawaiian animals.

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are a fairly good number of zoo's holding Hawaiian species, but the number of species are limited.

Nene Geese and Laysan Teals are fairly common in both private and public collections throughout North America and Europe, and Hawaiian Ducks can be found (albeit with much less frequency) as well.

Minnesota Zoo houses a small group of rescued Hawaiian Monk Seals, and these are the only ones of their species you can see outside of Hawaii.

There are a small number of zoo's on the American mainland (I can not remember which right now) that house the Hawaii Amakihi as well.

Rather uniquely, Seaworld San Diego houses a single female Hawaiian Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin. She's an older ex-navy animal, however she has had two offspring, both female, one older and one only 3 years old, both still alive.

Other than the listed above, the majority of endemic Hawaiian species housed outside the island chain consist of various fish species.

Now in the actual Hawaiian islands themselves, of course there is much more variety housed among the various zoo's, aquariums, and breeding centers.

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't think there were any more after Philadelphia's last individual passed away (I think in 2014).

Also, several zoos mention Hawaiian hawks on their website but I've never seen one, even at bird shows and such.

4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Wow thank you

5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Louisville zoos website has them on their list but I've seen reviews of that zoo that don't mention them at all?

6. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

It would be a good thread to list all non-continential island wildlife outside their own country. And add NZ and New Caledonia because of how they were populated (most fauna is blown in by air or rated since the mid Cenozoic.)

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Thank you i know tuatara kagu and shoveler also kaka and kea outside of France and new Zealand

8. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

The Houston zoo used to have a Hawaiian hawk and Sea world San Antonio used to have Hawaiian monk seals, which have been moved to the Minnesota zoo.

9. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I have been there and do not recall a Hawaiian hawk. Is it possible they keep it behind the scenes?

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

its possible