Join our zoo community

Louisville Zoo Headed Down to Music Valley: Nashville/Louisville Trip Report (Part 2) - Louisville Zoo Species List

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZooBinh, 7 Apr 2022.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Louisville Zoo Species List - March, 2022

Islands:
    Blue Penguin.
    Black Swan.

Nene.
    Oriental White Stork.
    Aldabra Tortoise
    Demoiselle Crane

Papuan Mountain Pigeon.
    Mariana Fruit Dove
    Sulawesi Ground Dove.*
    Nene.
    Golden Breasted Starling.
    Crested Wood Partridge

Blue Grey Tanager.
    White-Throated Ground Dove
    Jambu Fruit Dove
    Oriental White-Eye.
    Emerald Dove
    Nicobar Pigeon
    Socorro Dove.*
    Bali Mynah.
    Pied Imperial Pigeon.

Rodrigues Fruit Bat

Red Fody
    Meller’s Duck.*

Siamang.
    Babirusa
    Malayan Tapir
    Sumatran Tiger
    Orangutan

Nicobar Pigeon
    White-Throated Ground Pigeon
    Sulawesi Ground Dove.
    Green-Naped Pheasant Pigeon.
    Jambu Fruit Dove
    Speckled Pigeon.*
    Beautiful Fruit Dove.*
    Blue Grey Tanager.
    Mauritius Pink Pigeon.*
    Mandarin Duck.
    Victoria Crowned Pigeon.
    Red Crested Cardinal.
    Emerald Dove.*
    Hyacinth Macaw.

Prehensile-Tailed Porcupine.

African Penguin.
    Argentine Red Shoveler
    Inca Tern.

Cuban Crocodile

Komodo Dragon

HerpAquarium:
    Panther Chameleon.

Woma Python.

Dolphin Catfish.*
    Green Severum
    Silver Arowana.
    Banded Leporinus.
    Red-Hooked Metynnis.

Black Piranha.

Hog-Nosed Brochis

Electric Yellow Cichlid.
    Blue Mbuna.

African Moony.
    Banded Archerfish.
    Diamondback Terrapin.

Spotted Turtle.

Redknee Tarantula.

Alligator Snapping Turtle.

White American Alligator.

Chinese Alligator.

Reticulated Python.

Literally the entire place is unsigned what are they freaks. (Future note: Excuse my outburst of teenage frustration, but this is how you would feel visiting :p.)

Green Tree Frog.

Red-Tailed Racer.

Dumeril’s Boa.

Emerald Tree Boa.

Green Tree Python.

Gaboon Viper.

Western Milksnake.*

Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Angolan Python.

Black Ratsnake.

Cottonmouth.

Grey Tree Frog.

Timber Rattlsnake.
    Northern Copperhead.

Green and Black Poison Dart Frog.

Southeast Asian Box Turtle.*

Egyptian Cobra.

Andean Milksnake.

Banded Rock Rattlesnake.

Western Hognose Snake.

African Bullfrog.

Mexican Redknee Tarantula.

California Kingsnake.

Sinai Desert Cobra.*

Pygmy Spiny-Tailed Skink.*

Tiger Rattlesnake.*

Indian Star Tortoise.
    Sahara Spiny-Tailed Uromastyx.*

Sandfish

Rough Scale Sand Boa

Sudan Plated Lizard.

Four-Lined Plated Lizard

Golden Skink

Speckled Rattlesnake.

Red Diamondback Rattlesnake.*

Gila Monster.

Sonoran Desert Toad.

Pancake Tortoise.

Desert Sidewinder.

Trans Pecos Ratsnake

Vampire Bat.

Hellbender.

Colorado River Toad.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake.

MetaZoo:
    Black and White Tegu.

Inland Bearded Dragon.
    Northern Blue-Tongued Skink

Black-Footed Ferret.

Virginia Opossum.

Greek Tortoise.*

Eastern Box Turtle.

Corn Snake.

Ball Python.

Woma Python.

Leopard Gecko.

Southern Three Banded Armadillo

Eastern Screech Owl.

Cats of the Americas:
    Bald Eagle.

Canada Lynx.*

Cougar

South America:
    Maned Wolf.*

Chilean Flamingo.
    Southern Screamer.

Linneaus’s Two-Toed Sloth.

Jaguar.

Guanaco.

Wallaroo Walkabout:

Emu.

Wallaroo.*

Cape Barren Goose.

Sarus Crane.

Bennett’s Wallaby.

Swainson’s Lorikeet
    Green-Naped Lorikeet
    Red Lory
    Perfect Lorikeet
    Black-Winged Lory

Glacier Run:
    Snowy Owl.

European Black Stork.*
    Red-Breasted Goose.
    Steller’s Sea Eagle.
    Baer’s Pochard.

Grey Seal.
    California Sea Lion.
    Harbor Seal

Polar Bear.

Grizzly Bear

Snow Leopard Pass:
    Snow Leopard.

Red-Naped Crane.

Tiger Taiga:
    Amur Tiger.

Gorilla Forest:
    Western Lowland Gorilla.

Pygmy Hippo

Colobus Crossing:
    Naked Mole Rat.

Meerkat

Schmidt’s Red-Tailed Monkey
    Black and White Colobus

African Savanna:
    Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra

Asian Elephant.
    African Elephant.

Dromedary Camel.

African Lion.

Addax.
    African Spurred Tortoise

Ruppell’s Griffon Vulture.
    Bongo
    East African Crowned Crane

White Stork.
    Masai Giraffe.

Northern Bald Ibis.
    Speckled Pigeon.*
    Pink Pigeon.*
    Common Starling.

Rock Hyrax.
    African Pygmy Falcon

Wattled Crane.

White Rhino.

Warthog.

Ring-Tailed Lemur

A detailed trip report to come soon, but I know everyone here would love to see the wonderful species list I compiled during my visit to the Louisville Zoo. A few things to note:

• Animals I saw are marked with a period are animals I saw (I composed this list as I went and I'd rather not go through and nitpick every little line).
    • Animals marked with an asterisk are those which are lifers for me. They may not be extremely accurate, yet this is not of issue or benefit to the thread. Just a personal touch.
    • The list is definitely not 100% accurate. This is mainly in reference to the fact that many exhibits in the HerpAquarium were unsigned.
    • Exhibits are seperated by a space. This may not be entirely accurate, as it was done off of memory. For example, the Survival Stations (first few pigeon exhibits in Islands) were guesses (I saw the marked birds in the walkthrough aviary, where they are currently on exhibit, surprise ;)).

2. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What's the status of the Hawaiian hawk?

3. ZooBinh

If I recall correctly, the bird is kept behind the scenes.

iluvwhales likes this.
  4. ZooBinh

Saturday, March 26 2022:

~8:00-9:00 am (Central Time, Nashville)

Saturday morning proved a bit harder to wake up and get ready for than the morning before, as the hotel I stayed in the night before was a tad sketchy, and that's excluding the unsettling and concerning wail-like noises I had heard in the room over the evening before...:confused:.

Anyhow, my dad and I quickly gathered our belongings and began the three hour drive up to Louisville.

~1:30 pm (Eastern Time, Louisville)

A new day brings a fresh start for everyone. For me on this particular day, it meant a redemption to the subpar Vietnamese meal that we had the night before. My family and I were more familiar with and connected to the Vietnamese community and scene down in Louisville, so finding an authentic joint fortunately was not an issue that day. After enjoying a plate of rice and grilled pork (or was it noodles?), I decided to beg my dad for a cup of coffee from an interesting specialty shop that was right across the street. And while I'm not the snobbiest of coffee snobs, I enjoy a nice latte every morning and love tasting drinks made with quality ingredients. The 'hip' and relaxed atmosphere of a coffee shop always draws me in as well. I ordered an iced latte that they named 'Black Magic', and it definitely has to be one of the best coffee drinks I've ever had in my life. I think it was a combination of a locally grown fresh organic (whatever fancy adjectives they used :p) blackberry syrup in combination with white chocolate? Whatever it was...it really was black magic. But that's all for this post's food review :D.

~2:15 pm (Eastern Time, Louisville Zoo)

Similarly to this sentiment when I visited Nashville, the Louisville Zoo's closing time that fell around 5pm (and a leaving time of 6pm) in combination with the fact that my previous visit in 2018 only took less than two hours made me confident that I could comfortably and thoroughly visit the zoo in this window of time without having to enter the zoo early in the day :).

In my personal opinion, the zoo's layout is a *tad* hard to navigate and quite sparsed out, which can be a little inconvenient to visitors. The first complex, and my personal favorite, is not hard to find from the entrance, however. That of course would be the Islands. I'd been itching to return to Louisville when I learned that all the 'random pigeons' that I had seen previously on my last visit very well may be uncommon in captivity and might not remain in zoos for much longer! So of course I had to see them again and get some good pictures :D. I had called the zoo earlier and asked about the status of the bird exhibits due to the the ongoing bird flu, and I was a little nervous that my visit would be wasted a bit as I was told that only some birds would be on exhibit.

However, right as I walked into the Islands (which may be the most bird-dense part of the zoo) and prepared myself for disappointed and explained the situation to my dad, we turned left into the penguin exhibit just to be met with....well....penguins (and black swans, which were a treat since I had not seen those in a number of years)! After snapping a few pictures and enjoying the sights of their amazingly azure avians, I moved down the path to the stork/tortoise exhibit, and was again surprised when I saw a Nene moving around...as well as their Oriental White Stork sitting in the back of the exhibit. At the time I didn't know that Louisville was the only holder of the Oriental White Stork, but now that I am aware, I'm quite glad that my photos were quite nice :).

Oriental White Stork (6).JPG

I spoke to a keeper in the yard who was working with the Nene (who had just been moved into this outdoor exhibit for the first time, outside of their usual indoor exhibit in the indoor aviaries), who informed me that they had just began introducing the birds back into their exhibits! And what a relief this was to me, as this meant that I would be reunited with my beloved pigeons :). But then, of course I was told that the glassed bird exhibits (which they call Species Survival Stations) were under renovations...so that was another blow to my hopes of seeing said pigeons. I continued on through the rotating yards for the bigger animals (unfortunately, no animals were outside) and eventually went into the building. I recorded the species list for the glassed aviaries and observed the Siamangs in the indoor rotating exhibit before moving into the walkthrough forest aviary (which I was told was open). Here, I was met with a plethora and overwhelming amount of surprises. My eyes couldn't even process it all, there were so many different birds flying everywhere! I made note of the species that were signed in the aviary and proceeded to look around for those species, and fortunately the species that would have been in the glassed aviaries were moved into this walkthrough aviary (though unsigned), which included my beloved Papuan Mountain Pigeons that I had wanted to see again so, so badly. Unfortunately, I missed out on seeing the Pink Pigeon in the walkthrough, but of course many surprises were in store for the day...

Beautiful Fruit Dove (4) Edit.jpg

Papuan Mountain Pigeon (2).JPG

After leaving Islands, I navigated through the nightmare of their HerpAquarium (due to no signage) and the MetaZoo (which I had missed the last time I went, unfortunately).

Panther Chameleon (3).JPG

Moving on to the South America section of the zoo, I saw my first Maned Wolf and got some cool flicks of their Jaguar :).

Jaguar (5).JPG

I moved onto the Wallaroo Walkabout which I had also missed the previous visit, and went through the African sections of the zoo, where I found my final surprise of the day. I had originally planned to revisit the Island's walkthrough aviary to search for the Pink Pigeons that I missed earlier in the day. But when I went into the giraffe house, which coincidentally holds an aviary for Waldrapp Ibises, I came across two big surprises...

Speckled Pigeon (7).JPG

Mauritius Pink Pigeon (3).JPG

Nothing could have prepared me for this surprise, and of course I was overly ecstatic! I did not know why they were in the giraffe house aviary, but I assume it would have been for breeding purposes? Anywho, this shaved a bit of extra time off of my visit and allowed us to leave at an appropriate time to arrive home in a timely manner :). After an enjoyable visit, I stopped by the gift shop, picked up a few postcards as well as a nice T-shirt and we were on our way!

~7:30 pm (Eastern Time, Dayton)

We finally arrived home as the sun began to set, and I began to immediately think about the fun memories I had over my break as I sorted through the pictures I took throughout the past two days and organized my species list. I can safely say that my little excursion down South was surely successful, and I've enjoyed sharing my experiences here on ZooChat (whether or not I procrastinated for months :p).

Thanks for reading this little trip report, and until next time!

-Binh :D

Attached Files:

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You're so weird. I was there all day :p

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. ZooBinh

We've gone over the fact that I move much faster through zoos than you do! :D

TinoPup likes this.