Join our zoo community

Closed Header

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by ZYBen, 16 Apr 2007.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i killed mine when i was a kid. put the heater up too high and virtually boiled all my fish :(

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

ug... Mines actually grown quite well on a diet of Cardinal Tetras! and they are double the price of neons

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's expensive food Ben. I have a small dam near my place where I go to catch mosquito fish ( gambusia ). Try to find some in your area. Cheaper than cardinals or buying live food and my eye biter and my polystigmas love them.

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

ha ha! when i lived with one of my mates a few years ago we used to keep a large plastic crate in the backyard filled with water. my mate would then catch billions of gumbusia and glass shrimp every 6 weeks or so and stock up the tub. this "gambusia pantry" was used to feed "murray" his pet cod.

murray fortunately outgrew his 4ft fishtank in the end.... he was a dead boring pet!!

5. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i would love to have the room to build an aquarium large enough to grow a murray cod to full size. Canberra zoo has a monster cod in a huge tank, but you are right Patrick it doesn't do much.

6. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

theres a full size murray cod and saratoga at an aquarium shop near my place, both in four foot tanks, its so sad.

personally, i like gambusia, as a tank fish, except for there aggressive tendancies, i will go get some and breed em, so i know they are free of disease. even though i intend to get rid of my fish and chnage my tank around!

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I just went to my local creek to find some, none at all, nothing to be correct just lotsa snails! but i did bring some plants home, HAHA