Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Healesville Sanctuary News 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 4 Jun 2013.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe the replacement of Sugar Gilders with Leadbeaters Possum is incredibly good. In related news, I finally saw my first Dasyurid at the weekend - Kowari at Bristol Zoo - so this list now only makes me 98% homicidally jealous ;)

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It is, I hope it does happen (she said it would) as I don't know if they have been displayed before, or at least recently? Hopefully I'll get out there soon and find out.

An interesting thing about the kowari - there are none in any (at least ZAA) zoos in Australia!! I'm yet to see one, despite having been to four of the European zoos that hold them according to zootierliste! So I hope that relieves some of you homicidal tendencies :D

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

That said, this is mostly because the kowari is one of the less-threatened dasyurid marsupials, and thus is not seen as a species which needs captive exhibition or breeding by the ZAA. They seem pretty active in a nocturnal exhibit, so I daresay you will see one eventually one way or another - whether this is due to another visit to Europe in the relatively near future, or a collection closer to home going into them.

4. Jet

Jet Well-Known Member

That's not completely right. It's considered vulnerable by IUCN and most importantly by Australian environmental legislation. There are other dasyurids that are not considered threatened at all.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Taronga used to have Kowari in a large exhibit in the Nocturnal House, and they always had lots. I can't remember when things changed, but they haven't had Kowari for a while now. And I can't think of any other zoo in Oz that does, although I'm sure some of the smaller regional places have some.

:p

Hix

6. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

-12 helmeted honeyeaters were released into the wild: Helmeted Honeyeater's flight for survival | Zoos Victoria

-Fleay the platypus turned 20 years old: Fantastic Fleay turns 20! | Zoos Victoria

-8 Tasmanian devils bred at Healesville (as well as 3 bred at Monarto) were released onto Maria Island off Tasmania's east coast: A devil of a time in Tassie | Zoos Victoria

-A new nature play area will be opening this Summer focusing on traditional Aboriginal culture: Kids' Nature Play Coming Soon | Zoos Victoria

7. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Has got to be better than Zooperman and Crapman......

:p

Hix

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news about the Helmed Honeyeaters and the Tasmanian Devils, once more a proof that conservation breeding can work !

9. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

9 orange-bellied parrots bred at Healesville (and 3 others) were released into the wild at Melaleuca, Tasmania.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is Healesville the only significant breeding facility for orange bellieds for release or are more institutions involved here?

Very commendable effort BTW. :)

11. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I think MRJ is also involved at Moonlit Sanctuary.