Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Healesville Sanctuary News 2014

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 16 Aug 2014.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

Is there no news from Healesville this year?

I visited today. It was very good :D But there was some bad news too.

I can't remember if I have mentioned this before or not, I saw these changes earlier this year. A new exhibit has been built in the entry area, so it can be seen before you buy tickets, for koalas. There is now a cassowary on display in the first exhibit within the zoo, which has been empty for a while.

Newer are a number of cultural exhibits - a statue and various Aboriginal displays; huts, etc. These are mostly around the Dingo exhibit.

The Lyrebird and Woodland aviaries are closed for renovation, so a number of birds have moved around a bit.

While I was in the Parrot walk-through, with the lorikeets, cockatiels and budgies, a wedge-tailed eagle from the bird show landed on the mesh roof - which freaked out the parrots greatly!

The Nocturnal House has changed a little, the line up is now as follows:
    -Mountain Pygmy Possum
    -Feathertail Glider
    -Brown Antechinus
    -Spinifex Hopping Mouse
    -Eastern Quoll
    -Red-tailed Phascogale + Greater Bilby
    -Eastern Barred Bandicoot + Leadbeater's Possum
    -Brush-tailed Bettong + Squirrel Glider
    -Mountain Pygmy Possum

This has changed from:

So the Numbat has gone. I don't know where :(

Eastern Barred Bandicoots are "on display" in the Lace Monitor enclosure, which I imagine is just a winter thing.

Following the death of the Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo, the exhibit by the restaurant now holds a koala. This means the Sanctuary now only holds native species.

There were two Bush Stone-curlew chicks with their parents in the Conservation aviary.

Otherwise all the same, and generally looking tidy and good. Will be interesting to see what the renovated aviaries are like when they re-open.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2014
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Too bad the Goodfellow's tree kangaroo died!!!

Perhaps Healesville could accommodate some Lumholtz's tree kangaroos?
    It is a local very endangered taxon and several rehabs need a captive space!

3. zooboy28

It would be good if the Sanctuary could develop a tropical rainforest zone, to display some northern species - the cassowary, tree kangaroos, pigeons, etc. There is very little geographical theming in the park.

Would Lumholtz's cope with the cold temperatures (<0C) experienced by Healesville during winter?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I have to ask this. Every time you post the Healesville nocturnal house list (must be three or four times now) you have put "feathertail gecko". I always assume this is a typo for feathertail glider but it is so consistent I am wondering if it is an actual gecko which I have never heard of?

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that Zooboy means leaf tailed gecko. It's been a couple of years now since I went to Healesville (despite having returned home to Melbourne) but I vaguely recall them being exhibited in the noc house.

6. Chlidonias

I had a bit of a google to see if I could find anything (and couldn't) but I did find out about the life-span of numbats -- usually about four years, rarely more than five, although I did find a reference to one at Taronga living into her sixth year. The one which was at Healesville was six years old when she arrived there, which may explain why they didn't make a big announcement about her being there in the first place.

If she has died of old age, which seems most likely, I hope they can continue to display excess post-breeders (or even better, if they can get into breeding numbats themselves).

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member

I visited with a friend about a month ago and didn't see it then. I had made such a massive deal about this being the first time I'd see one but we didn't. It was a bit of a let down.

8. zooboy28

Aarrrh! Stuffed it up again. I do mean Feathertail Glider. Just copying and pasting without thinking. There are no reptiles on show at all in the nocturnal house, which is a shame. There appears to be an exhibit there that could display something fairly small, but it is empty.

9. zooboy28

That sucks. Hopefully they can set up a decent outdoor exhibit for them if they do get some more in. Their exhibit has been renovated a bit to now hold more Mountain Pygmy Possums (yawn), which is a fairly large space for such a small species.

10. zooboy28

Here is an article on the passing of Healesville's Tree Kangaroo, from June 2014:

Story & Photos here: Vale Tapini | Zoos Victoria

Last edited: 17 Aug 2014
  11. Chlidonias

12. zooboy28

Well that's awkward - don't ask me to do any eulogies! :eek:

13. Chlidonias

too much vodka? Or not enough vodka?

14. zooboy28

So here's why the Woodland aviary was closed:

Story & Photos here: Wild winds cause damage at Healesville Sanctuary | Zoos Victoria

15. zooboy28

Healesville Sanctuary has undertaken monitoring of Critically Endangered Leadbeater's Possum, and added two males to its captive population. Two articles on this work from May/June 2014 are below.

Story and photos here: Leadbeater?s Possum Monitoring | Zoos Victoria

Story and photos here: Update on Leadbeater's Possum monitoring | Zoos Victoria

16. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

17. Jabiru96

A very successful native species breeding season with the hatching of 22 helmeted honeyeaters, 39 orange-bellied parrots and 86 northern corroboree frogs, and the birth of 13 mountain pygmy-possums and 6 Tasmanian devils. 378 southern corroboree frogs bred at Healesville as well as Melbourne Zoo were also released into the wild: Zoos Victoria celebrates Threatened Species Day | Zoos Victoria

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands Premium Member

Those are good numbers of some endangered flagship species.

:p

Hix

19. Jabiru96

20. Jabiru96