Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Healesville Sanctuary News 2015

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 12 Jan 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I visited Healesville Sanctuary yesterday - first zoo visit of 2015, and here are some notes (some of these are older developments that I can't remember if I've previously mentioned):

-There is now an Echidna sharing the Koala exhibit in the entry area (before you buy tickets).
    -The young Cassowary in the first exhibit (empty for last couple of years at least) was very active and showy.
    -A couple of Emu chicks are on display and are available for up-close encounters.
    -The High Country Birds Aviary opposite the dingos, which previously held a range of birds (Little Lorikeet, Turquoise Parrot, Star Finch, Black-throated Finch, Superb Fairy Wren, Diamond Firetail) and reptiles (Blotched Blue-tongue, Cunningham's Skinks), now just holds one Laughing Kookaburra.
    -There are now signs for Australian Water Rats and Swamp Rats in the waterbird aviary, but these must just be for wild animals.
    -The renovated Lyrebird Aviary looks great, and now features a Spotted Tree Frog terrarium in the entry-way. The elevated lookout is great, we saw both Superb Lyrebirds roosting in a tree. The species list is fairy similar to what was previously held, mostly pigeons and the Lyrebirds, King Parrots, Crimson Rosellas and Satin Bowerbirds, complemented by various wild small passerines. There are no longer any Black Cockatoos or Pademelons though :(
    -The Bird Show was excellent as per usual - Black Kite, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Eclectus Parrot, Galah, Major Mitchell's Cockatoo, Long-billed Corella, Barking Owl, Nankeen Kestrel, Black-breasted Buzzard and Wedge-tailed Eagle all put in a performance, and the latter almost hit us in the face when its take-off was hampered by a cross-wind!
    -Pair of Magpie Geese now housed with the Brolga.
    -The Woodland Birds aviary has reopened, although this seems to have fewer species than previously.
    -In one of the small Woodland birds aviaries - the one that previously housed Orange-fronted Parrots, Swift Parrot, White-breasted Wood-swallow and Painted Button-Quail - there is now just a Tawny Frogmouth.
    -A Koala has replaced the Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo that died last year.
    -Everything else is still the same, and looking very tidy.

-The highlight was seeing a very curious Leadbeater's Possum tearing around its exhibit in the Nocturnal House - definitely the most active critter in there!
    -The lowlight was definitely the reduction in the bird collection - something Zoos Victoria is very proficient at. I'm not sure if this is a temporary thing due to issues with the aviaries - it seems odd to take a pile of small bird species off-display from two (identically contructed) small aviaries and replace them both with a single large bird (previously/currently displayed elsewhere in the zoo). Perhaps there is an issue with mice or mesh or something?

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has Healesville gone out of Goodfellow's?

3. zooboy28

Yes, at least for now. But they had only been holding an elderly female for quite some time, with Melbourne holding a breeding group.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

still no numbat?

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And Orange-fronted Parrots are orange-bellies (Neophema)?

6. zooboy28

No, still a very Numbat-free zoo, sadly.

There exhibit in the Nocturnal House had been holding Mountain Pygmy Possums, but is now holding Eastern Barred Bandicoot.

7. zooboy28

Yes, sorry, Orange-bellied Parrots (must of been thinking of the NZ parakeets!). These are also dispalyed in a conservation aviary, so are not off-display at all.

8. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

9. Jabiru96

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  11. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes - and I can't believe how small it was! I've never seen one before (I expected them to be the size of a Tasmanian devil)

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016
  12. zooboy28

That's exciting news, I'm planning to visit Healesville tomorrow so I look forward to seeing it.

13. zooboy28

I visited Healesville Sanctuary today, here is some news:

-There are now Long-nosed Potoroo in the freely-viewable enclosure at the entrance, with the Koala and Echidna.
    -A female Black-necked Stork has been added to the Wetland Aviary. This is a new bird from "up north", there are no plans to obtain a male for breeding.
    -The nocturnal house exhibit that previously held a Numbat, which then died and was replaced with Mountain Pygmy-Possums, now again holds a Numbat. Interestingly, it appears to not be configured as a diurnal exhibit with tinted glass to fit with the nocturnal theme, but rather a typical nocturnal exhibit, with a couple of heat lamps.
    -A new indoor exhibit for the Lace Monitors has been constructed, allowing viewing of these during the winter months.
    -I went to the afternoon bird show for the first time, and collected my first captive life tick of the year, which was quite exciting and a new family too: Osprey :cool:

14. Jabiru96

15. Jabiru96

No Cookies | Herald Sun

16. Jabiru96

17. Jabiru96