Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Healesville Sanctuary news 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 17 Jan 2017.

1. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

BennettL and zooboy28 like this.
  3. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If someone is interested in I have a current listing of animals that are on display in the Nocturnal House.

Long Nose Potoroo

Woylie – Brush Tailed Bettong

Squirrel Glider

Leadbeater’s possum

Bilby

Ringtail Possum

Spinifex Hopping Mouse

Fat Tailed Dunnart

Feather Tailed Glider

Mountain Pigmy-possum

Currently no quolls, numbats or bandicoots.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Benni the Koala has been euthanized:

Vale Benni | Zoos Victoria

Healesville Sanctuary is saddened to announce the tragic loss of Benni the Koala.

Veterinary staff made the very difficult decision to euthanise the eight year old after his health suddenly deteriorated.

Director of Healesville Sanctuary Ross Williamson said that the loss was deeply distressing for the team.

“We have been keeping a close eye on Benni after keepers noticed he was not interested in his food and quite lethargic,” Mr Williamson said. “He was moved to the Australian Wildlife Health Centre where he could be closely monitored. However, his condition did not improve and veterinarians and keepers made the difficult decision to let him go.”

His name recognises the Gippsland township of Bennison from where the Sanctuary's first koala population hailed.

Benni was born at Healesville Sanctuary on 8 November to mum Mia and dad Hamish. He sired four young; Steve, Dindi and Hazel, the first female to be born at Healesville Sanctuary in eight years. He then went on to sire another female, Merri.

Because of Benni’s gentle personality and sweet nature, this carefree tree climber became a close-up encounter koala and a favourite with hundreds of visitors. He moved into his brand new exhibit at Koala Forest in June last year and enjoyed living the high life there.

“I would like to acknowledge our caring veterinary and keeping team who have provided Benni with the very best of care,” Mr Williamson said.

5. Zoofan15

Superb Lyrebird Pair:

A Superb Lyrebird Pair | Zoos Victoria

Healesville Sanctuary is excited to announce that our new Superb Lyrebird pair, Apollo and Coranderrk, have settled into their new home in the RACV Lyrebird Aviary and are ready to meet our visitors!

Apollo has taken quite the fancy to Coranderrk, affectionately called Cora by her keepers, and is showing early signs of courtship. Cora was born at Healesville Sanctuary in 2005 to parents Nova and Reefton. She moved to Adelaide Zoo as a juvenile and has now returned home to the Sanctuary.

Male Lyrebirds attract a female by singing and dancing, they are known for their incredible ability to mimic nearly any sound and Apollo is no exception. Apollo is only a young bird but has already started belting out many native bird calls and Keeper Meg is sure his repertoire will continue to grow. ‘Lyrebirds only mimic the sounds they hear in their environment, both natural and man-made – we’ve got a lot of construction happening here at the moment so who knows what he’ll come up with next!’

Visitors to Healesville Sanctuary can meet Apollo and Coranderrk during the daily keepers talks at 1.15pm. Both lyrebirds are quite friendly and confident so even if you don’t make it to the talk pop into the aviary to say hi to the pair!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I visited last weekend, and while there is not much to report, there have been a few minor changes:

-The kangaroo area is blocked off and under extensive renovation, with a new macropod exhibit area (connected to the recently opened Koala Forest) to open in December. A temporary kangaroo walkthrough, with a small number of red and Kangaroo Island kangaroos, and I think a couple of wallabies, has been opened nearby.
    -The walkthrough flying-fox aviary has been renovated a little, and the flying-foxes and some of the pigeons removed for unknown reasons. These are currently visible in an off-display aviary behind Koala Forest. The walkthrough aviary still holds kookaburra, frogmouth, cuckoo-shrike, stilts and a range of pigeons. One of the small self-contained aviaries at the end of this exhibit was empty and under renovation.
    -The Wetlands aviary has reopened, and looks much cleaner and fresher, with more light and better visitor areas - including new paths and a hide. I don't think the species line-up has changed noticeably, but the experience is much nicer. The adjacent natural wetland also has signage for potentially encountered natives.

7. zooboy28

Current line up (as of 10 June 2017):

Sugar Glider
    Squirrel Glider + Eastern Barred Bandicoot
    Leadbeater's Possum + Long-nosed Potoroo
    Greater Bilby
    Ring-tailed Possum
    Spinifex Hopping Mouse
    Fat Tailed Dunnart
    Feather Tailed Glider
    Mountain Pygmy Possum

Najade likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the dunnart tank was unoccupied, with the informational sign removed, yesterday.

zooboy28 likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

I visited this weekend!

I didn't realise that was a flying fox walk-through. On the map it is labelled "kookaburras". The aviary at one end was still empty, the one at the other end had helmeted honeyeater. I couldn't find any pigeons inside the walk-through at all.

zooboy28 likes this.
  10. zooboy28

If only we had planned it a little better @Chlidonias! :)

That's a shame about the dunnart, it was sitting out quite clearly last weekend, although too fidgety for anything but a blurry photo. There used to also be antechinus in with the bilby, so its a shame they are no longer there too.

I was surprised by the absence of flying-foxes in that walkthrough, they have always been there on my previous visits over the last 4 years. I hope it is only temporary. There are kookaburras in a heap of aviaries, so it is a little unnecessary. There were definitely brown cuckoo-doves in there last weekend, but previously there were also white-headed, and perhaps other species too (although I'd need to check). The aviaries at the ends sound the same. Previously the currently empty one had buttonquails and finches I think, but I'd need to check exact species.

11. Chlidonias

well that would have entailed me actually planning something in advance wouldn't it?

The signage for that walk-through had brown cuckoo-dove, white-headed pigeon and wonga pigeon. I couldn't see any of them, and I looked pretty well. The stilts, kookaburra, black-faced cuckoo-shrike and regent bowerbird were all labelled and seen. The frogmouths weren't labelled, but I saw them as well.

zooboy28 likes this.
  12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Does any zoo have Alberts lyrebird?

13. Chlidonias

no, only superb lyrebirds.

14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

The dunnart is still in there, though it is pretty hard to see a lot of the time. When it's out, it's active. The nocturnal house currently has the same line-up as you wrote earlier. Spinifex hopping mice are back on display. :)

Flying foxes have been in off-display aviaries behind the Koala Forest boardwalk. I believe there have been health concerns for visitors and I think it is unlikely they will continue to be kept in a walkthrough aviary should they be put back on display. This walk-through aviary is called the Flooded Forest Aviary and definitely does contain white-headed pigeons based on my visit today, though I didn't look thoroughly for the other species. Many birds are moved in and out of the aviaries for check-ups. The smaller aviary to the side now has a green catbird, while there is still a helmeted honeyeater on the other side. The only kookaburra still on display is in this aviary, as the one previously next to the dingoes passed away. There are others off-display and plenty of wild kookaburras around the park though.

17. Zoofan15

Apparrotly he's a pretty boy! | Zoos Victoria

New Eclectus Parrot

Two brand new parrots are giving Healesville Sanctuary visitors something to chirp about.
    Ollie is a male Eclectus Parrot and his female companion, Bonnie, make a striking new pair in the Lyrebird Aviary.

"The boys are bright emerald green and the girls are red and purple, making them easy to identify", Keeper Meg Lane explained. "They are the opposite of most birds with the girls being more colourful. They nest in dark tree hollows, so her dark colours keep her camouflaged and his green colour allows him to forage for food in the rainforest."

The Lyrebird Aviary boasts elevated boardwalks, a misty, cascading stream and a viewing platform above rainforest trees and tree ferns ensuring a fantastic experience for the Sanctuary's visitors.

There is a dedicated keeper training session with both birds at 10:30am every Sunday to Wednesday, giving visitors an opportunity to meet the birds up close and talk to their keepers. It's also giving Ollie and Bonnie something to sing about, "although it's much more like a squawk", Meg said.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

Kangaroo Country is Opened!

Kangaroo Country opened yesterday - a home for the K.I., Red and Goodfellow's Tree-Kangaroos. Tree-Kangaroos haven't been on display in a couple of years, so it's nice to finally have the pair on display in their new home.

I will be in on Saturday and hopefully get some photos then. :)

Zorro and Kifaru Bwana like this.