Join our zoo community

Hedgehogs in Captivity

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by akasha, 8 Jul 2022.

1. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know hedgehogs are pests in NZ, but are there any currently on display on the South Island? A friend of mine is desperate to see one. Maybe even in pet stores or something? Thanks.

2. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

They are on display in just about any backyard once the weather warms up! You might want to look on Facebook for one of the hedgehog rescue groups and ask if you can visit them? Then your friend might even be able to handle and feed a rescue.

Zoofan15 and akasha like this.
  3. akasha

That’s a great idea, she would love that! Thanks :)

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hedgehogs are all over the place in New Zealand. I was driving a few weeks back when I saw a juvenile one half way across the road. There were dogs in backyards either side and an even busier road up ahead, so I chucked it (not literally of course) in the back of my Ute and drove it a couple of minutes down the road to a large field.

My good deed for the year…

Jambo, Matt_C and akasha like this.
  5. akasha

I wasn’t sure about the odds of seeing wild ones in the winter. I’ve only seen two myself, having spent a total 7 weeks in NZ. I just thought if there was somewhere she could definitely see one as she is only there for 2 weeks in August :)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Apparently they’re supposed to hibernate from June to September in New Zealand (and sometimes longer in the South Island), but I’ve been seeing them up until a couple of weeks ago. Like @Matt_C suggested, a rescue group is probably your best bet - she could feed them and stuff if that floats her boat.

akasha and Matt_C like this.
  7. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Yeah around about September/October they start to appear, but rescue will likely have some in care even now. We have a rescue house near us and there are normally 4 or 5 out in the evenings by late spring. Sounds great till you have to listen to hedgehogs fighting and mating all night long. The sounds are horrifying!

akasha and Zoofan15 like this.