Join our zoo community

Hello Fishkeepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ZooBinh, 31 Mar 2018.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, he's doing fine. I don't even know which one he is, but if all my babies are doing fine, than I'm fine. I did spend a few hours today taking care of fish issues today, though, which really satisfies me. I was supposed to receive a 10-gallon today, though it was really a 5 gallon (I don't know how the person misconceived it as a 5-gallon, but it was free so I could care less) for my fish to stay in while I fix a leak in the 10-gallon. I added a nice new piece of driftwood to the tank, and it's really pretty, and all the WCMMs seem to love it.

Great Argus likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Never mind, just figured it out.

3. ZooBinh

Hi, I'm back, and I don't even know how to start this one...

Our beloved WCMM who almost killed himself has gotten into more trouble. If I haven't told you guys this yet, I was supposed to bring three WCMMs in for an aquaponics project. I brang three in this morning, and when I came back later during fifth period to check on them, one was gone. I looked for him everywhere, and the fish is gone.

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sounds like you're having fun... :confused:

Anything else sharing the tank with the WCMM?

5. ZooBinh

No, thank god. I wasn't allowed (by the teacher) to have a big enough tank, so I had to go with a 2.5. Though, that was also a blessing because I am in an advanced science group so we were allowed to go bigger than the required maximum of a half-gallon tub.

Great Argus likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZooBinh likes this.
  7. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have three tanks on the go at present:

Mixed community: Parkinson's Rainbowfish, Cherry Barbs, Kribensis, Otocinclus Affinis, a Clown Plec and a Betta Splendens.
    Sri Lanka biotope: Bandula Barbs
    Nano: Chilli Rasboras, Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snails

8. MarkinTex

MarkinTex Well-Known Member

My Amazon paludarium (in a 55 gallon tank.) two corydoras catfish (different species), 9 neon tetras, 4 red eye tetras, 5 candycane tetras, a dwarf flag cichlid, and an Agassiz's dwarf cichlid. All these fish are from the Amazon basin. All the plants are live, but not necessarily from South America.

Attached Files:

9. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I have a 20 gallon planted tank with some ADFs, Serpae Tetras, and a Dwarf Gourami. I also have a 40 gallon breeder with a Chinese Pond Turtle

Westcoastperson likes this.
  10. red river hog

11. Greenshank

Greenshank Well-Known Member

Just seen this. If you're still wondering what kind of fish that is from your photo it looks to me to be a fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas, which is a North American cold water species

12. red river hog

Someone else told me the same thing, but it's good to have two opinions. Thanks!

13. ZooBinh

My fishkeeping life sure has taken a turn! I have currently a male betta (HMPK Black Samurai, other two passed away due to a bacterial contamination), my two gudgeons and a WCMM still.

Recently, I built an aquarium rack with the capacity for 4 20 gallon long aquariums. I have plans for quite a few more aquariums, definitely excited to share it all with you if the chance arises!

14. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm thinking about having a small planted 10 or 20-gallon display aquarium. Does anyone have any stock ideas? I'm in the United States.

ZooBinh likes this.
  15. Greenshank

There are literally hundreds of possible right answers to that question! It all depends on what you're wanting to get out of this. Have you kept fish before? Do you have soft or hard water? If you want something that's ornamental and low maintenance, then small shoaling fish like tetras and barbs or livebearers (platies, sword tails etc) would be best plus a group of something like corydoras to go on the bottom and some amano shrimp and snails. If you want something that will have more 'personality' and interesting behaviours to observe then dwarf cichlids or anabantoids (gourami) would be the fish of choice. My advice would be to check the water that you'll be using and also which fish are available and see if there's anything that takes your fancies. And then come back to ask whether what you want is possible

16. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have kept fish in the past. I believe I have soft water? I'm not picky about what I have. There is no rush for me to get fish or anything, so I have no problem with waiting for the plants to grow in any stuff. I'd just like a tank that could house 2+ species.

17. Greenshank

If you know what you're doing and have soft water then it's pretty easy and a lot of things that will work. Unless I'm keeping fish which eat plants (unlikely to be a problem in a tank your size) there's no need to wait for them to grow before adding fish besides waiting for the tank to cycle. If I was you unless there's something I was particularly keen on keeping I'd go for (dependent on tank size) one or a few species of small shoaling fish like tetras, barbs or rasboras, plus a pair of dwarf cichlids and/or a small gourami species and then something like corydoras to go on the bottom plus a bristle nose plec and some snails and amano shrimp to eat algae. Precisely which species you go for will depend on the size of the tank, obviously a 20 gallon gives more scope for more and larger species than a 10 gallon but you should be able to house a decent variety of species in both if you stick to smaller species. The biggest mistake is to add everything to quickly as that leads to water quality issues, so it's best to stock the tank gradually

18. ZooBinh

Hmmm, for 10g a small school of WCMM looks nice with a great aquascape, but you really can't do much in terms of display with a 10g.

20g your options open up more, small communities and what not. Have you looked into an aquascape? Different options with biotopes and such.
    Right, I'd go with a 20g then. A 20g long tank opens up your options further too.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't put a bristlenose pleco in anything less than a 50 gallon, mine reached nearly 6 inches long! ;)

ZooBinh likes this.
  20. ZooBinh

The only pleco that could fit in a 20g tank would be a clown pleco. Bristlenoses can live in 29g tanks and up, but I'd agree that some individuals can grow larger, so bigger is definitely better :).