Join our zoo community

Hello Fishkeepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ZooBinh, 31 Mar 2018.

1. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your male honey gourami. Did you just get the one shrimp?

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, thank you, and I also got one shrimp.

3. squirrelmonkey

For keeping shrimp I have read that the recommendation is 5 minimum and 10 or more is better. They are very easy to breed, and a self sustaining population can be maintained. I kept 5 RCS in the past. Would of got more but all I could afford at the time.
    I'll post a picture of my nano tank tomorrow.

4. ZooBinh

Yes, but the tank is only 1.5 gallons and I don't like the look of a lot of shrimp. But I may get more.

5. squirrelmonkey

Shrimp have like zero bio-load so you can keep quite a few, at least 5-10. Only thing you would have to worry about is overfeeding, and its easier to overfeed when there is only one.

6. ZooBinh

Yes, but I also guess it' official, I lost two animals today, my shrimp and my male gourami.

7. ZooBinh

So I looked everywhere in the tank, the decor, the cabinet, it was on, behind and in the cabinet, the floor, literally everywhere. Is it just possible for it to disappear into thin air (probably not, I just need to get some reassurement and to get my emotions out)?! Has this happened to anyone else with an animal just suddenly disappearing with no body? How do you deal with it?

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, had that happen before, but in a bigger tank with rock work and scavengers. It's pretty disappointing.

How big is the shrimp in question? And how much and what decor is in the tank?

9. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well the point behind breeding fish should be because you like the fish you are breeding and will enjoy the process. Unless you are hard core geared towards production you won't make much profit breeding the vast majority of standard freshwater aquarium fare regardless, so it might as well be something that you enjoy :)
    That's always upsetting :( I personally have never had much luck with dropsy. Once in a blue moon I've seen it cured, but usually the afflicted fish just dies. Also sad to hear on the shrimp. Darn things are so tricky. I'll echo though what others have said. If there is a certain strain you enjoy, especially with the tiny ornamental ones, gets 5 or 6 and try and get them breeding. You'll be much happier in the long run with something past that as opposed to just one in a tank!

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. squirrelmonkey

Shrimp are excellent hiders so there is a chance that it is well hidden and you just haven't seen it. Shrimp are most active in the morning, so that would be a good time to have a check.

11. ZooBinh

My blue velvet shrimp was about a half inch in size, not much decor, (it's a 1.5 gal), with a piece of driftwood, some anubias, and some java moss floating around.
    Yes, it's pretty sad. I may try breeding again with my other two fish, but yeah, it is sad. The shrimp, I'll probably just get 4 more, in case the other just appears. The reason I don't like breeding is because the shrimp fry are creepy.
    I had a check this morning, but when I come home again I'll really check it.

12. Great Argus

Still enough decor a half-inch shrimp could disappear without too much trouble from the sounds of it. Shrimp can be surprisingly good at hiding.

13. squirrelmonkey

20180904_192018.jpg
    Here's a pic of my nano tank. Meant to send in ages ago but forgot @ZooBinh . Sorry for the poor quality, i took it on my phone.
    The tank is 19L, which I think is 5 gallons for you Americans. Currently has four male (flame) guppys, and two salt and pepper corydoras (Corydoras habrosus). Plan to get some more soon. I originally had a school of 6. The plant is an Anubias nana. The nana means dwarf. The plant is only new, which is why the tank looks kind of bare at the moment. I only created this new set up last week as I wanted to replace the fine black gravel I had with sand, and change the rocks. I did have a Java Fern but did not want to use it again as before I had snails, and I did not want any snails beings brought across.

RedPanDan and ZooBinh like this.
  14. ZooBinh

In my 6 gallon tank, I had fine black gravel too, and changed it to sand a few weeks ago. I also have 2 Anubis nana in my 1.5 gal, along with a congensis too.

15. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been breeding shrimps for years until a few months ago. I regularly didn't see the biggest shrimps (like my last Caridina multidentata - I was switching from Caridina to Neocaridina) for days or weeks, sometimes more than a month. The tank was only 25 liters.

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

You know what is very annoying about new fishkeepers? That when they make mistakes, and are corrected, they think that they know more and start being rude and offensive. SMH. (well, some newbies)

SpinyLiving likes this.
  17. ZooBinh

Hi everyone here in the fish community, I am getting a 75 gal tank into my care very soon, it is for free and thank god it is cycled! My friend is giving it away due to her work commitments, and currently she has a not very good stock of:

5x Goldfish (I dont know the amounts of comets and fancies exactly)
    1x Koi (She was going to rehome it, but now its my problem)
    1x Red Eared Slider (this guy...I'm waiting till spring for him to go, I don't want him to be cold)

After this stock is gone (the koi around, like, Christmas time and the turtle and goldfish in Spring, I have some plans for the new tank).

This tank will have a stocking of:

1-2x Common Angelfish
    5-7x Discus
    10x Cardinal Tetras
    5x Marbled Hatchetfish
    5x Panda Cories

What are your thoughts?

SpinyLiving likes this.
  18. Great Argus

How experienced are you? I like the theme, but discus and hatchetfish aren't the easiest to keep. Also what's your budget? Discus aren't cheap either.

19. ZooBinh

5-10 years experienced (though personally I think its not enough to start saltwater, and I'm not allowed to do it). Budget will be around 300-500 USD. Each individual fish is going to be less than $50 (parent rules). It's easier to set this up as the tank is cycled, has a filter and heater.

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

What does this even mean? Five years is a huge range gap in experience. And aren't you only about 13 years old?