Join our zoo community

Hello from Brazil

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eduardo_Brazil, 2 Nov 2008.

1. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Eduardo, I was searching zoo informations in the web and found zoobeat.

Im animal curator of a small private zoo in South Brazil, we are specialized in endangered brazilian species like lion tamarins, marmosets, spider monkeys, tortoises, amphibians, peccarys, agoutis, etc.

I have to say that zoobeat is very usefull with the pictures and informations of the forum. So that we can have idea for whats happening in other parts of the world.

My english is not so good, but ok.

Thanks.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Welcome Eduardo,

Your English is great and I hope you post often (I can't begin to understand Portuguese so I admire your Internationalism!)

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to Zoochat!

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome to zoochat!,

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Welcome to ZooChat! If you enjoy visiting zoos then you'll love this website.

6. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

7. Miguel

Miguel Well-Known Member

Olá Eduardo, bem vindo ao ZooChat!!

I'm from Portugal and I work at a park in the south, you'll find a lot of info here at the forum. It's a great exchange of experiences and ideas.

All the best

Miguel

8. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat. Please give us as much info as possible on Brazilian zoos and upload any picture that you have. Don´t worry about the language, we are so many here who can´t write proper English but we get by and do our best anyway....

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat

10. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Eduardo, I hope you enjoy your time here. Please check your messages re the conures.

11. Zooplantman

Eduardo,

Do you have any news of the new Oceanario proposed for Porto Alegre or Rio or Forteleza?

12. Peafowl

Peafowl Member

Hi Eduardo,

Do you hold/ breed any Curassow species at your zoo. If so, I would be interested in any information you could provide about the diet you provide for them. This is an area I'm particularly interested in, so that a more varied diet can be fed to some of these species in zoos over here in the United Kingdom. By sharing any information we possess, hopefully we will be able to provide a diet in captivity which is very similar to what they would eat in the wild with the result being healthier birds and improved breeding success. Oh almost forgot- Welcome to Zoo Chat!

Cheers,

Peafowl:D

13. eduardo_Brazil

Ye, The Oceanario Sul is under construction in Esteio, about 50 km form Porto Alegre, main city of the Rio Grande do Sul provience . Also our province. We are situated 80 km from Porto Alegre.

The openinig of the Oceanarium (Oceanário Sul) is palnned for 2010 (not official day announced till now).

The Oceanarium will be composed of a set of aquarium Aquariuns with 5,5 million litters water, representing Antartida, Amazon, Pantanal, Tropical Ocean and Temperate Ocean, also in the complex will be included a Shopping center and the biggest towers of South America.

Inside of one of the Aquariuns will be a Tunel of 30 meters.

The complex is owned by the Group Seaquarium and the total cost is around 50 Million US dollars.

Also in Rio and Fortaleza Oceanariuns are planned.

Attached Files:

14. eduardo_Brazil

Hi Peafowl,

Yes we keep some species of cracids, including Penelope jacucaca, Crax blumenbachii we are more focused in endangered species from Brazil.

I can assist you in diets this is no problem, but each specie of currassow have its own diet due its geographical range. If you tell me what specie specially you have interest I will be happy to assist you.

Thanks.

15. Zooplantman

Oceanario Sul is already under construction! Amazing. In the US, a $50million aquarium would not be a major one. But I believe Oceanario Sul is a part of a larger development.

Aqua-Rio might be started, I know. Oceanario do Ceara (Fortaleza) has not yet gone out to bid.

16. eduardo_Brazil

$ 50 millin in USA/ Europe zoo/ aquarium world is not so much. But in Brtazil this is R$ 110 million, I think you dont have idea what we can do with such an amount in Brazil. The things are cheap here.

Perhps you can give me a idea, we are getting 4 Melanophryniscus montevidensis, the only captive population that I have notice, we have to plann a new exhibit for them. The basic idea is not only be a exhibit but a breeding place of this rare frog. In USA are fantastic breeding exhibits for Atelopus.

17. Zooplantman

The renderings of Oceanario Sul are impressive and I have no doubt it will be the regional attraction it is designed to be!

18. Peafowl

Peafowl Member

Hi Eduardo,

At the moment the species of Curassow which I work most closely with is the Great Curassow. I would appreciate any dietary information on this species. I will need to check whether any other species are kept at our other site and if so would like to swap information and ideas on these as well.

Many Thanks,

Peafowl:D

19. foz

foz Well-Known Member

hello eduardo and welcome to the zoochat forums :D i'd love to go to brazil one day, (of course nothing to do with the fantastic wether and amzing wildlife ;) )

20. eduardo_Brazil

Oceanario Sul

Hi Zooplantman!

I was looking at the developments of the Oceanariuns in Brazil!

Acquario do CEará is the only that already started to sign contracts to start to build! But this not represents that the project will be concluded! This is Brazil and the Oceanarium will be run the the Ceara Government, very dangerous, since all zoos that are run by state in Brazil are in very very bad conditions in those days!

AquaRio I dont think they will be able for such a investment, nothing happened!

Oceanario Sul i told before they already started to build! This was no correct I made some contacts and found out that the project is in standby! They also dont applied for get permit for perhaps build the Oceanario!

A new one:

Oceanario BRasil is a new project run by the Brazilian Government (not provinces like others) together with the University of Rio Grande thats is the olny with the course of Oceanology in Brazil! They have the land avaiable with a surface of 76 ha, at the Cassino Beach! The biggest in length in world (Australia claims it too)! This project is estimated to cost around 80 Mi Dollars, more than all other projects that are planned! The first part of the project sall be concluded till final 2010! The money is already avaiable!