Join our zoo community

Hello from Wroclaw Zoo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ireneus, 25 Jan 2009.

1. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello
    Here's Irek an elephant keeper in Wroclaw Zoo (Poland) since February 2008.
    I spent over 1 year in Dvur Kralove Zoo (Czech Republic) as a rhino keeper (northern white and indian rhinos exactly).
    I'm zoo enthusiast, zoo-traveler (till now all EAZA zoos in Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia, some other zoos in central and western Europe).
    I collect zoo book guides and take photos from time to time. Here's my flickr galery:
    Flickr: irek1's Photostream

Have fun

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums,

So what do you enjoy looking after most the rhino or elephants?

What species of elephants does Wroclaw Zoo keep?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2009
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Welcome to ZooChat, and I hope that you enjoy this fantastic forum!

4. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello
    I don' know if I understand Your question corectly but...
    A year before I would say: "rhinos are my favorite. Rhinos, and only rhinos". Today I don,t know, it's dificult question because I see how wonderfull elephants are.
    We have 3 post circus indian elephant females.
    Do You work in Chester Zoo? You have black rhino baby, haven't You?
    Cheers

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Sorry the question was meant to be "So what do you enjoy looking after the most rhino or elephants?"
    Basically did you swap because you wanted to work with elephants or did you want to try something new?

Sadly I don't work at chester zoo, you should check out the gallery here there are a few good photo's of the new baby rhino. Hopefully the second one will be born this years as well.

I don't know why but I prefer Indian (asian) elephants over african.

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat Ireneus, another Rhino man you should find a few friends here, I am a bit of a rhino fan myself.

7. ireneus

ireneus Member

So do I. They look nicer than african.
    It's a difficult story why I've changed zoo and animals. It wasn't because I was bored or I wanted to try with elephants. I had to back to Poland for no zoological purpose.
    in flickr galery I have also some photos of rhinos not only from Dvur Kralove.

8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Irek!

It is good to see more people from Poland! I am not zookeeper, but enjoyed Wroclaw. How is rebuilding of old elephant house going on?

9. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to Zoochat!

10. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello Jurek7
    I was wondering who are You:) (I've seen Your post about Poznan elephant house).
    Unfortunately there's nothing new in elephant house and around. I heard that elephant's enclosure will be enlarged this year (we will see). Probably general reconstruction will be done around 2012 (when Afrykarium will be built and hippos will go there).

11. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Welcome to zoochat

12. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello.
    I have a question: where I can find a list of Florida zoos? If You could send any link.

13. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello dragon(ele)nerd
    Nice to hear "Hello" from Australia.
    I hope one day I will visit that beautiful country.

14. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

Florida Zoos

Brevard Zoo Brevard Zoo | Melbourne, Florida
    Busch Gardens SeaWorld/Busch Gardens ANIMALS - HOME
    Central Florida Zoo centralflorida.org
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Disney.com | The Official Home Page For All Things Disney
    Jacksonville Zoo Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens Official Home Page
    Lion Country Safari Lion Country Safari - Welcome to www.lioncountrysafari.com!
    Miami Metrozoo Miami Metrozoo - Amazon & Beyond
    Naples Zoo Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens
    Palm Beach Zoo Palm Beach Zoo
    Santa Fe CC Teaching Zoo http://inst.sfcc.edu/_zoo/
    St. Augustine Alligator Farm Alligator Farm - Saint Augustine, FL
    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo

I didn't include the aquariums. These are all of the zoos listed in AZA.

15. ireneus

ireneus Member

Thanks for list.

4 days ago I left thread at general forum about accommodation in zoo-workers (zoo-maniac) homes (net of accommodations). I thought it can be nice way of zoo-travelling (free accommodation, people conected with local zoo,...). And nothing since that time, nobody wants to join. Is it stupid idea?

16. foz

foz Well-Known Member

hello and welcome.

i personally think its a good idea but unfortunatley i couldn't participate myself, as much as i would like to, as i simply can not afford such a venture

17. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Hi Ireneus,

I've visited Wroclaw Zoo last year ins eptemebr during the meeting of the zoocollectors, I like that zoo. I was very impressed, what you have dome out of the old money and birshouse, very good. Because I'm very interested in zoohistory, it was a pleasure for me to see Wroclaw Zoo,it was like a Walk through the 19th Century....Especially the Elephant house is agreat old animal house, and I have to say, you have in this old house more and bigger indoor and outdoor exhibits for hippos than most of the new hippo exhibits are in germany....I hope, you can save the interior of the house, if you rebuild it for the elephants...

Is the new Madgascar House are opened now to the public ? You've got a pair of dromedaries from germany, I hope, they have arrived healthy ? In which exhibit do you keep them ? Maybe together with other species ? Thanks for the infos !

18. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Hi Ireneus,

I've visited Wroclaw Zoo last year ins eptemebr during the meeting of the zoocollectors, I like that zoo. I was very impressed, what you have dome out of the old money and birshouse, very good. Because I'm very interested in zoohistory, it was a pleasure for me to see Wroclaw Zoo,it was like a Walk through the 19th Century....Especially the Elephant house is agreat old animal house, and I have to say, you have in this old house more and bigger indoor and outdoor exhibits for hippos than most of the new hippo exhibits are in germany....I hope, you can save the interior of the house, if you rebuild it for the elephants...

Is the new Madgascar House are opened now to the public ? You've got a pair of dromedaries from germany, I hope, they have arrived healthy ? In which exhibit do you keep them ? Maybe together with other species ? Thanks for the infos !

19. ireneus

ireneus Member

Hello
    So we had to see each other because I was in elephant house all Saturday. I was also at colectors evening party.
    Madagascar pavilion is not open yet. It will be open around end of May probably.
    Talking about elephant house, well I'm waiting for enlarging elephants' enclosure and sun shelter.
    I don't know how exactly elephant house will be rebuild. Some things must be changed. It will be something between director and hoof depeartment boss's will and monument conservator's opinion.

20. cottoni

cottoni Active Member

Thats a brilliant Idea, but i mean, can only be done between professional keepers... We can't host the animal lovers for free all year round...

That would be good, especially to share our work... You're welcome in Suffolk whenever you want, you know that already, dont you ? :)

See ya :)