Join our zoo community

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clothcat, 3 Jul 2007.

1. Clothcat

Clothcat Active Member

I thought I'd join and introduce myself as I have been enjoying reading a lot of these posts over the last year or so and thought I might be able to contribute every once in a while...

I've always been interested in wildlife, mainly because my grandad was an entomologist so have been brought up with a healthy interest in 6-legged creatures! The insect collections he has given to me have been very useful in educating small children about the wasps/bees/hover flies that they invariably panic about.

I've become a regular view of 'The Zoo' series from Auckland and have really enjoyed following the stories of the animals and their keepers, although we seem to be a few series behind now. We have something similar in the UK called (imaginatively) 'The Zoo UK' which is based at Bristol Zoo and not quite so compelling. The zoo seems small and squashed by comparison with Auckland. 'Animal Park' (another tv programme) which is set at Longleat Safari Park is much better - genuine interest by the presenters and lots of information about the animals - hoping to visit this summer holiday (if the rain ever stops!)

I visited Marwell Zoo earlier this year and was impressed by the improvemnts they are making to the animal enclosures, although, having seen the siamang gibbons on 'The Zoo' it was quite distressing to see the Marwell siamangs cooped up in the old-style metal cages with their paws through the bars begging for food, which some people were stupid enough to give them. Their lion-haired tamarins are loose in an area outisde their 'shed' and are very entertaining, leaping over visitors and generally putting on a good performance! The giraffes seem to do very well and there were several babies when I was there. The snow leopards were lovely - I like the cat species, and they have bred. There are several Bengal tigers who are vocal and active and have a large enclosure on a level with the public (so there's lots of warning to stand well back as they spray!) I will try and upload some photos.

Enough for now...:)

Clothcat

2. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm still fairly new too. Everyone hear seems really nice though I'm sure you'll fit. Good to have another Brit on our side, soon we'll be overtaking the locals!

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Clothcat

I joined in May this year and I've enjoyed every minute of my time at this site.

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Hello. I hope that you'll enjoy this site a lot. It really is brilliant!!

Thanks sim!!!!

5. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo

Actually , the zoo is not that big in area ( about the same size as London Zoo in Regents Park ) but they have been very clever in making the zoo appear bigger than it really is .
    Glad that you enjoy "The Zoo" TV series -- surprised , but happy , that they have been screened in the UK

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

NOW BRING EM TO OZ!!!!!

gday clothcat, have fun, i have been here about 2 years now, and have over 1500 posts, i love this site, and meet great people, and learnt a little more about australian zoos, and increasing worldwide institutes!

have fun, and talk soon!

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Marwell Siamang enclosure is possibly the WORST relatively modern cage/enclosure I've ever seen, strange at a large Park which otherwise has very good husbandry and excellent enclosures. I don't know who came with that design, not someone with a knowledge of Siamangs, certainly.... I heard they were raising funds to have it replaced (not before time!).

Marwell don't have 'Bengal'(indian) Tigers, they have Siberians. I believe no zoo in europe or America currently has purebred Indian tigers. 'Bengal' has now become a pseudonym for tigers of mixed parentage which some zoos nd safari parks still exhibit .:)

8. Clothcat

Clothcat Active Member

Oh yeah! So they do...

What about white lions - the Westmidlands Safari Park has white lions - are they 'genuine' or are they some sort of mixed breed?

Clothcat

9. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I read on your profile that you are an RS teacher. My teacher is evil to me. Although she did give me a 7c I should be very thankful!!

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

White Lions are..... White Lions... Not true albinos though. They first appeared in the Timbavati Reserve in South Africa and have since been deliberately bred at a number of zoos and wildlife parks, along the same lines as the White Tigers.