Join our zoo community

Help a Zoo Chatter find a place to Study Zoos Abroad

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Otter Lord, 22 Oct 2013.

1. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi everyone, some of you may know that I am a landscape architecture student in the United States. My school's program is unique and offers students the ability to live abroad some place for 15 weeks while studying the city. I am different from most of my class mates because I want to study zoos and go into the zoo design field. I am trying to decide on a place to go to and I was hoping to tap into the incredible international community here to help with the decision making process.

How we decide on a place starts by professors presenting different locations to us and we are allowed to apply to different locations. Students go abroad in groups so I cannot go to some place if other students aren't interested. My current selections in rank of highest to lowest are:

Prague (to be presented next week)
    Berlin
    Amsterdam (can travel to Rotterdam?)
    Malmö, Sweden (can travel to Copenhagen?)
    (Mystery place that might be presented)

I would be living in one of these places so my main zoo study would have to be fairly close (45 min max). I would like to travel for a few day trips to other zoos (2.5 hours max) and I could possibly do a few weekend trips somewhere farther than that.

So I want to live in a place that has has a lot of recent exhibits that are well recognized for their design. I am also interested in seeing animals that I cannot see in America and am willing to travel for them. I definitely want to travel to Leipzig for Godwanaland and Zürich for everything they have.

Some personal biases to consider:
    • focus on contemporary design over traditional
    • zoo horticulture inside of exhibits and out
    • designs centered around unique places that highlight their ecology (ex: Himalayan Highlands in Zürich, Te Wao Nui at Auckland, Creatures of Wollemi Taronga)

I would also appreciate an inside scoop on travel safety, price, and modes of travel. I pretty much only know English and some basic German. I was leaning heavy on Berlin but there doesn't seem to be design there that I am excited about. After browsing the galleries here, I am now really excited about Prague Zoo Praha.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think Prague sounds like the best option on the list, as it has a number of modern exhibits, and is also close to other interesting zoos, e.g. Plzen, and travel to Leipzig would be possible. Zurich might take a little longer.
    -Malmo is close to Copenhagen but nothing else, so not really worth it.
    -Berlin Zoos aren't really known for contemporary exhibit design.
    -Amsterdam might work, but if Rotterdam is the only nearby option it might not be worth it either. Artis in Amsterdam is fairly historical exhibit-wise.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Prague would be a great choice, as already mentioned you have Plzen close by and a lot of other Czech zoos have built quite nice exhibits in the last few years. I think it was Maguari who said Czech zoos have seen the most improvement in the past 20 years.

If I were to stay in The Netherlands then I would opt for Rotterdam as it is a lot closer to other renowned zoos such as Arnhem, Duisburg, Cologne along with various others.

4. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

Depending on your budget travel is no problem at all in Europe. Also there are no safety issues I am aware of. All the large cities are connected by rather cheap flights too (often cheaper than going by train). If you need to travel a lot maybe interrail is an option. Within Germany (and partially connecting the neighbouring countries) there is a lot of travel by shared car, which is the cheapest and fastes (excluding planes) way to travel between the larger cities. Another cheap way are is travel by bus, but this is pretty slow.

5. zooboy28

It doesn't sound like Rotterdam is an option to stay in though, Amsterdam being the Dutch city Otter Lord could choose.

I think of those cities, Prague is the most interesting too, so beautiful and so many interesting places to explore. Its my favourite city in Europe.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I think perhaps Berlin because it is centrally located for so many great zoos. You can get to Rotterdam, to Leipzig, to Arnhem, etc.
    @OtterLord - I think you want to look at many zoos of many types and no one location offers enough. So take your bit of German and select a base from which you can explore.

7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The area I know best Malmö and Copenhagen. They are essentially a conurbation linked by regular trains and many people live in one and work in the other.

Everyone speaks perfect English.

Copenhagen Zoo is renowned for its modern architecture, the Norman Foster designed elephant building, the polar bear enclosure, flamingo and ibis aviary, giraffe house, hippo house...

Odense Zoo isn't far away and is a very modern and attractive zoo.

Denmark and Sweden have a holistic approach to design that filters through to almost every aspect of life. I don't know much about landscape architecture but in terms of the built environment they are fascinating places to be. They are also pioneers in sustainable living.

Germany isn't far away either, there are trains to Hamburg and Cologne and like everywhere in Europe there are great air and road links with the rest of the continent.

The one negative point is that of all the places you mentioned, the cost of living is probably highest here.

8. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Amsterdam would be a good option too, being in an area with probably the highest zoo density worldwide (and some world-class zoos to :p)

Artis Zoo is very nearby and has some nice architecture. Diergaarde Blijdorp, Apenheul & Burgers Zoo, (has some great eco-displays with focuss on ecology) are in 1-1,5 hours reachable with a direct train (also less interesting zoos as Avifauna, Amersfoort and Ouwehands Rhenen) from the larger stations. (and the Ruhrgebiet Zoos (cologne, duisburg etc) within 2,5 hours, Antwerp within 2, and most Dutch zoos within 2,5 hours) And everybody in NL speaks english (which can be a problem in eastern Europe) and life is not as expensive as Scandinavia.

From Amsterdam there is a direct night train to Zurich and with 1 one change in Duisburg you can reach Leipzig also (although it takes more than half a day)

@Brum Amsterdam is closer to the zoos you mention than Rotterdam.

9. Otter Lord

Wow, thanks everyone so much for the responses. I think I am really considering Berlin and Prague as my top two so far right now. I think I can get to Leipzig from both (it looks like there is a quick 45 min train to Leipzig from Berlin) and I might stay a week in Zürich.

Berlin seems like I can travel to more zoos, but I think there are some zoos in Prague that are really accessible like Plzen, Dvur, Zlin, Ostrava, and Olomouc. How good is transportation in Prague? Would renting a car be optional for a 22-year old American?

For Berlin, what are the most contemporary exhibits there? Berlin also has two zoos that I can study with the largest animal collection in the world(?). So its hard to choose between the two. The Prague Zoo map looks so inviting. It looks like there's a train from Berlin to Prague too.

10. Theloderma

Theloderma Active Member

I'm with Lintworm on this. Amsterdam would be my choice (as much as I love both Berlin and Prague). Public transport in the Netherlands is a dream and you can easily hop over to Duisberg and other German collections. Several years ago I did a zoo tour of the Netherlands and I'd say they offer a more diverse 'package' of innovation and ideas than Germany. True, Artis is very historic but they also offer some interesting contemporary design and when you add in the likes of Blijdorp, Arnhem, Emmen and Apenheul you get to see a truly diverse range of concepts and styles. They have the added advantage of speaking fluent English, as indeed do many people in your other choices. I'd say Berlin is more traditional and although you have great access to other collections via the rail network the opportunity for a wider array of styles in close proximity is in the Netherlands. I have however found that travel from the Netherlands to Germany to Prague is straightforward so don't feel that choosing any one option precludes you from visiting the rest. Whichever choice you make you'll have a blast.

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would also considering Schonbrunn. It is a brilliant zoo on how the traditional buildings are adjusted for current standards. And Vienna is quite easy to visit from Prague, Berlin and Amsterdam (although you ll have to fly from the later 2).
    And to be fair to chose out of these 3 cities is a very privileged one :). All 3 are great with it's own charms and each will give you access to a very nice collection of zoos.

12. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

What a very exciting opportunity!

Despite the fact that I love Berlin dearly, both as the city and as a location for what are my two favourite zoos in the world, my suggestion would be that Amsterdam would be a better bet. I think the architecture at Berlin, while exceptionally interesting, is possibly not the sort of thing that you are after, while the landscaping is not the finest feature at either of the two zoos.

Although Artis in itself is, in many ways, like a smaller and less interesting version of Berlin zoo, from that base it is easy to reach a large number of very modern, and a very varied zoos. You are close to all the many wonderful Dutch zoos, as well as those in Belgium, and across the border into Germany, where the Ruhr Valley is very easily reachable from western Holland. If you were in Berlin, there are many fantastic zoos nearby, although with the exception of Leipzig I am not sure how many of them are interesting, especially, from a design perspective.

So much of this is about personal taste and what you are hunting for. The time of year is significant as well. Berlin in the winter can be very cold and rather unpleasant! In Holland, pretty much everybody will speak flawless English. Berlin is a surprisingly inexpensive city in which to operate – certainly compared to other European capital cities. Prague is fantastic, but I must admit, on a personal level, to finding it in many ways rather a dour city. The zoo though is wonderful – As are the many other Czech zoos within a reasonable distance. Getting around within the Czech republic is slower and slightly more fiddly than is the case in Holland or Germany – for example, going from Prague to Pilsen by train seems to take several years (even though it is only about 100 miles between the two cities).

Away from zoos, you are never going to be bored by either Berlin or Amsterdam. Each is a hub of history and culture, and I would place the two of them alongside London and Paris as the greatest cities in Europe. Berlin, even today, still has a slight edge to it, a feeling of real difference compared to other cities around Europe. I love it – although my feelings may be influenced heavily by the two zoos.

You mentioned safety in your original post. I really wouldn't worry too much about this in the areas you are discussing. Of course crime does go on, and as a tourist you may be susceptible to this, but these are very safe places, where with good sense and reasonable luck you will have no issues at all.

13. lintworm

14. DDcorvus

Flying will be more convenient and cheaper.

15. lintworm

can you fly for 30 euro then....

16. DDcorvus

I have :) and most train-rides are more from 100 euro upwards.

17. Otter Lord

Well here's a curveball, the final option is Namibia and the contact is with the Cheetah Conservation Fund. I don't know if I want to live in the middle of no where for 15 weeks though.

What's transportation like in Prague to places like Ostrava? I imagine renting a car and learning the Czech signs might be too difficult. It looks like Berlin would be easier to get around. What are the best and most recent exhibits at both Berlin zoos? I am having difficulty finding a legible zoo map for both.

18. lintworm

Go for Namibia for sure that is a way cooler experience in which you will learn a lot more than spending your time in Europe. Such an experience is probably once in a life time, while staying in Europe is very easy. And the middle of nowhere is always relative and something which is very good to have been also.....

Road signs are similar all over Europe and most of them are without any text (exept the universal "stop" sign), the only thing is that you drive on the right side of the road (in both ways :p). So car renting is an options, allthough there are restrictions to what kind of people can rent cars and those differ from company to company, so that is worth to check.

Best exhibits are rare in Berlin zoos in my opinion, but notable are in terms of design the hippo house, penguin house and the hoofstock houses (especially the one with giraffes) for the zoo. Exhibit design in TP Berlin is extremely boring most of the times, although the Dickhauterhaus (e.g. elephants) and Alfred Brehm house give a good communism sauce.... Enclosure design in both Berlin zoos tend to be very very practical in recent times.

19. zooboy28

I reckon Namibia would be very exciting, and as lintworm says would be much harder to visit by yourself than Europe, and is basically a once in a lifetime opportunity. You could probably get to some of the South African zoos from there fairly easily, and so some study of them (plus there are presumably zoos in Namibia also).

Go Namibia! :D

20. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Ooh, time for a plug for my website:
    Prague Zoo
    :D
    (I don't have access to a recent standalone Berlin map yet)

I'm sure that you'll have an amazing experience whichever city you choose. :)