Join our zoo community

Help for a reptile house

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gabby Bekkers, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Gabby Bekkers

Gabby Bekkers New Member

Hello all, my name is Gabby Bekkers and I am female. Born and raised in Texas USA but currently living in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia. I've always been (shall I say) mad for amphibians, and I currently have 5 tree frogs amongst other reptiles and a dog.
    This being a new year, I have decided that, aside from breeding my lil froggy babes, I'd like to educate and rescue others whose people just cannot provide. I've heard tell that there is a similar zoo nearby who has the same idea, but is solely run and staffed by the owners who are aging. It makes me sad to think about the extended family members who would be thrust into a life they were never interested in.
    Being the odd one out in my family, I have already accepted the fact that about 95% of what I think and decide to do is unlike that of my previous generations, and so I thought what better way to improve the community's ideas of 'slimy' reptiles and amphibians than to create a place where adults and children alike can see and, if properly educated, hold the animals. I also thought that for those who would need a home for their pets for any reason would be allowed free admission.
    All thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. I will answer any questions any of you might have as soon as I can. Thank you for your time!

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

3. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For starters you are interested in a herpetology building not a reptile building with your love of amphibians. In your neck of the woods is near the epicenter of salamander diversity, so that might be an area you really want to explore.
    You may want to look into school education as a means of possible revenue as well as outreach for your facility. Good luck

Oh and welcome

Jambo and ZooBinh like this.
  4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First of all, welcome to ZooChat.

I've highlighted the bit above because it seems to me that your first step might be to get in contact with this organisation? It might be that they are looking for a passionate individual to take over their work, which would both remove local competition and avoid having to start from scratch, with all the enormous difficulties that brings.

5. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat!

6. Gabby Bekkers

Gabby Bekkers New Member

I have called and spoken to the owner of the zoo, and he told me many... interesting things, one of which being that if I want to properly educate the public is to get certain city and county papers. As an unemployed mid-twenties woman, that's a tad bit difficult to obtain.