Join our zoo community

Help for ideas for mixed afican exhibit

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Jena, 15 Mar 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I need a little help deciding what species can go well in African Exhibits and I think the last post i posted in the wrong thread so I am trying in different thread this time cause I am still working on how to do this). I am a huge fan of mixed exhibits so I want to make mixed exhibits in my dream plan (probably won't ever happen but I love day dreaming about this) (which I don't know if I am finally posting it in the right thread but I am trying because I am stuck)
    So this is what I have for African Animals that I think may go together:

1. Cape Porcupine, Hippo, Hammerkop, Cattle Egret
    2. Dwarf Mongoose, Aardvark, Southern yellow-billed hornbill (because I learned dwarf mongoose and southern yellow-billed hornbills sometimes have like form forage parties and help each other find food but not sure if Aardvark would be suited in the exhibit as well)
    3. Banded Mongoose, Green Monkey
    4. African Elephant, Helmeted guineafowl (not sure if this bird will be alright with elephant but I can see these two together but want to know what everyone else thinks too)
    5. African Safari Plains: Plains Zebra, White Rhino, Giraffe, Nyala, Common Eland, Waterbuck, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Impala, Sable Antelope, Ostrich, Egyptian Goose, Sacred Ibis, Southern Ground Hornbill, Marabou Stork, Gray crowned crane, (p.s this one I need a little more help on seeing if all these guys would go good together cause I was dreaming of making a nice safari with animals located on the Savanah or near the Savannah!
    6. Gerenuk, Thomson’s Gazelle, Secretary Bird
    7. Warthog, Bat-Eared Fox
    8. Greater Flamingo, African Spoonbill, Shoebill
    9. Wetlands African Aviary: Black-winged stilt, Blacksmith Plover, African Pygmy Goose, Blue-bellied Roller, Hadada Ibis,
    edit: Oh and forgot but what birds would go well with the white-fronted bee eater!
    And this is the ones I need help with! I done research on these guys and saw that some other zoos have had these combinations but I want to know if these are good mixes and if I should add or change any of these! (the cape porcupine and hippo I put together because appartently adventure aquarium in NJ has those two together which I never knew). So yeah any help would be appreciated thanks! I really would like to know if I should make any changes? Keep the way things are? or add any other animals to this! (mostly birds and mammals but I didn't get to reptiles yet so if you know any african native reptiles that can go with these let me know)

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

First thing that strikes me is Guineafowl with Elephant. Should be fine, as normally wild-coloured Domestic (Helmeted) Guneafowl are used, and they can run or fly as necessary to get out of trouble.

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

thanks for your input! I don't know if I want them with the Elephants or the rest of the Safari because I want to add Marbou Storks into the Safari area and well those guys look like they would tear the poor thing into pieces. So that's why I moved the Helmented Guineafowl to the Elephants.

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Marabou Storks are actually much better kept in aviaries. Flight restricted Marabous under paddock conditions with hoofstock, rarely breed.

Jena likes this.
  5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ah thanks for the imput again. If I move marabou storks to the African Aviary what birds would go well with the Marabou stork? And what birds should I add to the safari with the other hoof stock? Must be native to Africa cause I hate having animals mix in together that aren't even in the same continent lmao. And prefer animals that aren't strictly native to rainforest cause I am going to make another part of the zoo for rainforest animals of south america and Africa.

6. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member

7. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The best birds to mix with hoofstock are no birds. Though many zoos do keep birds ad ornamentals, for the birds it is pretty bad being wing clipped and birds in such mixed enclosures often have extremely bad breeding results.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Thanks! I already know that manual though (in fact I already have it on one of my tabs on the internet open) I been using that but the issue with that is it doesn't cover non-ungulates with non-ungulates. It only covers ungulates. Such as it won't tell me which monkeys are best to mix with other monkeys for example. But I have been using that though thanks!

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

really? :eek:. What about Ostrichs though?? Those guys are always mixed with every hoofstock I seen. At Turtle Back Zoo near me, they have Ostrich with Giraffes, and I think common Elands too as well as some other smaller birds. And I was kind of thinking more than just a exhibit but more of a safari that people can hop in a vehicle and drive around to see all kinds of wildlife. Kind of like in Nature.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mix Marabou Storks in an aviary setting. I'd make the exhibit all about that species, and encourage breeding. Also they eat smaller birds...
    I would agree in general about it mixing birds with hoofstock at all. Exceptions for me round be Peafowl and Guineafowl, which are left full winged, and pinioned/wing-clipped waterfowl, which take refuge on the water if hoofstock get too boisterous.
    Most other birds are either too vulnerable, or have a severely compromised quality of life, if flight restricted.

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

I think your Yellow-billed Hornbills will get eaten

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ah okay! Yeah that I know about Marabou Storks (I remember watching a disney nature documentry on flamingos and came to the conclusion that Marabou Storks are jerks lmao (it's the way they walk)) And okay! I am thinking on Egyptian Goose in the exhibit since they are waterfowl and beautiful too for the safari as well as Gray Crowned Crane because I read that these guys mix very well with the animals I want to put on the safari. Also feels weird having them alone. But so what other waterfowl would be okay to put in a Safari that can go to the water if they feel threaten and such.

13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

really? :eek:. I didn't know, I figured that Dwarf Mongoose and the Southern Yellow-billed Hornbills are foraging buddies that they won't eat each other....

14. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This combination seems to work fine with red-billed hornbills in Nurnberg, probably as long as the hornbills can retreat to areas not accessible to the mongoose.

FBBird likes this.
  15. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

ah okay thanks for the advice! And yup I will deffintly put places where the hornbills can retreat to areas that the mongoose can't get to! Now what about Aardvarks add to the mix? Or should I put them somewhere else?

16. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Read what has been said about birds in with hoofstock. Cranes are vulnerable to accidental and deliberate injury in this setting, and are less likely to breed.
    Egyptian Geese are dangerous with other waterfowl, so you have either a group of Egyptians, or a mixed collection of African ducks. This could include Yellowbill, Cape Teal, White-faced and Fulvous Whistling Duck, Red-billed Pintail, Southern Pochard and Comb Duck.

17. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member

18. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

PossumRoach likes this.
  19. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Ahhhh okay so what would be okay to put with cranes then if not hoofstock? And okay thanks for the tip! Then I will decide to just put Egyptian Geese with other mix collection of African Ducks

20. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member

Cranes are fine with waterfowl or flamingos in a flight restricted open setting. Under aviary conditions they can be managed with medium sized birds like ibis.

Jena likes this.