Join our zoo community

Help for Zoo Trip in Czech Rep. in July 2017

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by zoomaniac, 19 May 2017.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dear Zoochat members from the Czech Republic and other Czech experts:

I'm planing to visit a few zoos in your country by (rental) car in July 2017 (25th to 30th) and therefore I need a couple of infos (which I hope some of you are able to answer):

1. How long does it take approximately at Prague Interntl. Airport to GET a rental car from one of the companys located in the airport (at about 11 am on a weekday)?

2. Can anybody recommend a car rental company (Saw that there is Hertz as well as Dollar, but the Dollar sign/icon doesn't look the same as in the US. Czech company?)

3. Are the plaques for freeway/motorway tolls automatically included in the rental fee or do they cost extra?

4. How long does it take approximately to drive from Prague Airport to Zoo Usti nad Labem?

5. How long does is take approximately to drive from Zoo Usti nad Labem to Zoo Liberec?

6. I saw at the internet that Liberec Zoo is about 100 hectares in size? So how long does it take AT LEAST to visit this zoo (when you like to see everything)?

7. What is the fastest way (= which roads) from Zoo Liberec to Zoo and Safari Dvur Kralove and how long does it take approximately?

8. When I buy a ticket for the Zoo and a ticket for the Safari Park at Dvur, am I able to switch between those two parks at the day of purchase as often as want or is each ticket only valid until I leave Safari park or Zoo (=no return)?

9. Is the bus or the truck tour recommendable even when you have your own car?

10. How long does it take approximately to drive from Zoo and Safari Dvur Kralove to Zoo Prague?

11. How long does is take approximately to drive from Prague to Zoo Plzen/Pilsen?

12. Is the return of the hired car at Prague Airport an easy and quick thing like in the US (= Park the car, take your belongings, get the receipt and go) or must I expect a longer procedure?

Thank you in advance for all your replies.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hallo

I am afraid I can´t help you with the car rental because of lack of experience/knowledge.

4. Time from airport to Zoo Usti is 1:10. (1 hour and 10 minutes). But its parking place is very small (for 10 cars circa) so when I come later than directly at opening time of the zoo, I have to search for some place far away from zoo.

5. Zoo Usti to Zoo Liberec 1:30

6. Zoo Liberec is small zoo with just 14 hectares and a single visitors path, you can see it all in 2-3 hours easily. Only Zoopark Chomutov is over 100 hectares.

7. Fastest way from Liberec to Dvůr is through towns Turnov, Jičín and Hořice and takes 1:40

8. Ticket for Zoo Dvůr Králové is valid only for one entrance into the areal. The same goes for entry into Safari by your car.

9. I myself never use my car. I don´t think is worth it. Safari is rather small - quick bus ride (1 EUR) is enough. If animals are too far away on first ride I just stay sitting at bus and go on another round (without paying once more) - is legal and ok (I asked the driver). Truck ride (2 EUR) is longer and you see some more area, but commentar is only in Czech language too, and you can´t go more than once without buying a new ticket.

9. No. But I would reccomend to use the bus the first time. And only later decide if you want to absolve it in your car (so you can stop to take pictures whenever you want).

Remark - one interesting hoofstock pen is only visible when you are in the tent camp, that belongs to the zoo. Go there by foot, If they would want to stop you, explain them you just want to see white-tailed gnus/giraffes in that pen.

10. Zoo Dvůr to Zoo Praha is 1:50.

11. Zoo Praha to Zoo Plzeň is 1:20.

Be warned that road infractructure in CZ is often lacking, and often under construction. Too much cars, especially during rush hour (morning 8:00 and afternoon 17:00 is the worst). Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon traffic around Prague collapses due to people going to their weekend dacha and back.

Also be warned that both Zoo Ústí and Liberec are in dire need of repairs/upgrade, but unable to do it due to acute lack of funds for years. Can get pretty depressing. Maybe Chomutov would be better alternative, is simple but nice wildpark, and has less weak exhibits. Or Jihlava.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I've never had any problems renting a car at Prague - all pretty easy. I'd agree with Jana about the state of Czech roads - they can be pretty awful! I've always just gone for whichever company offers the best deal - they all seem to be much of a muchness. I've never had to pay any extra for motorway tolls.

If you want to go to Usti - and it's a nice enough zoo, but by no means one of the best - there are lost of other interesting options between Prague and it: Zajezd, just a few miles from the airport, is small but interesting; Chomutov is worth a visit, if you like a good wildpark, and Decin has the charm that Usti sometimes lacks (although it too is not perfect).

4. zoomaniac

@Jana and Sooty mangabey: Thank you very much! Your infos and suggestions will be VERY helpful. I knew where I had to ask...

By the way: If any of you (or any other zoo chatter who has interest) would like to join me during my visit: You would be very welcome (not only for "zoo talks" but also for nice tips for restaurants and food specialities...;):) Just reply or sent me a personal message when you have time.

Last edited: 20 May 2017
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately the timing is a little unfortunate - I will be in Prague and Plzen only a few weeks previously :p along with Jihlava and Chomutov.

6. zoomaniac

Oh no, so sad! Would have been a great pleasure to meet you in person. Maybe I will made it to GB again for a get together before you brexiteers close your borders...:);)

7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Please remember 48% of us are/were not brexiteers (who likely won't forget this anytime soon:mad:).

8. zoomaniac

Was a little unfair, sorry. Tryed to create a joke, but there are things you shouldn't kidding about (Trump's election, Swiss banks, Australian cuisine...;):))

Shorts likes this.
  9. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@zoomaniac When will you be in Pilsen? I will be working in Zoo during 2nd half of summer (starting 31st July) but I´ll arrive there a bit sooner (probably on Friday 28th), so we could definitely meet there.

@TeaLovingDave What is the exact date of your trip? Maybe we could meet in Jihlava, if you are interested. (And if I´ll be free to go :D )

10. TeaLovingDave

I will be in the Czech Republic from 16/06/2017 until 23/06/2017.

I have not decided on my exact timetable yet, but I would naturally be interested in meeting another Zoochatter :) will be booking the coach tickets to get me from Prague to Jihlava in the next few days, so if you have any preferred days let me know!

11. HOMIN96

Sounds good, I have my last exam on 19th June so it would be ideal if you plan the Jihlava trip after this date

12. TeaLovingDave

I will be in Jihlava on 21/06/2017 :)

13. HOMIN96

Alright, I´ll look if I manage to get there and PM you :)

14. zoomaniac

@HOMIN96: Did not realize that this thread is going on, sorry. Try to put Plzen on my schedule for July, the 28th so that we could meet us (what would be great). Will inform you as soon as possible.

15. TeaLovingDave

Excellent; hopefully you will find out one way or another before the day itself, as I do not have a smartphone and hence wouldn't see any PM you sent me whilst I was at the zoo ;) so in that eventuality you would just have to look for an English couple wandering the place!