Join our zoo community

Help Me Pick a Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by BigNate, 6 Dec 2019.

1. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In about a month I will have to drive from Southern California to Nashville, Tennessee. I only have a short period of time to do this, so I can only fit in 1 zoo. I'm still planning the route, so any zoo in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Tennessee can be considered. (Maybe Louisiana and Mississippi, depending on their location)

I need suggestions, because a zoo's website and map can only tell me so much. Any ideas?

2. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking at the best routes given by google maps (from San Diego to Nashville, not sure exactly where your coming from, but figured those would be close enough). I think there are 3 zoos to consider: Oklahoma City, Dallas, or Memphis. If coming from more up by Los Angeles, there is a route that would take you through Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. If coming from there I would expand the list to include Denver, Sedgwick County, Kansas City, and St. Louis.

I have not been to Dallas (hopefully this summer) or Denver, but hear great things about both. Between the ones I have been to I would recommend either St. Louis, Sedgwick County, or Oklahoma City, in that order. All three are pretty consistenly mentioned among peoples Top 10 and are in mine. Sedgwick County especially is a hidden gem not many have visited. St. Louis is my overall favorite zoo and Oklahoma has excellent exhibits and a vast collection as well.

Of the ones left out, Kansas City probably has the most impressive African collection in the US and has a terrific themed area, while Memphis does theming as well to a high standard and has Giant Pandas. I would just recommend the ones mentioned above first.

It is worth mentioning that Nashville also has a very nice zoo as well, it is just smaller than the rest in terms of collection.

Your route could also potentially take you through El Paso or Albuquerque which also have nice zoos, but don't seem as large or as highly regarded by people. Never been, so I can't say.

Part of it really depends how far you want to go out of your way as well. The ones I mentioned are just on the way. Houston and San Antonio could also be considered if willing to detour.

I honestly would probably recommend Dallas over any of them though largely because of the time of year. Many of those other zoos may have exhibits closed because of cold weather and you may not get the full experience. If you go to Dallas as well you could potentially try add in the Aquarium or Fort Worth Zoo as well (probably couldn't do both zoos in the same day from what I know). St. Louis you may be able to combine with another local place as well.

Sorry, a lot there. Just my thought! Hope it helped!

Last edited: 15 Dec 2019