Join our zoo community

Help regarding biogeography.

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by lowland anoa, 10 Jan 2019.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello, as you guys might know, I have a thread in the fantasy zoo forums. It’s a entirely bird park. But I’ve been encountering difficulties finding species, from different biogeographic zones. I’m currently designing a ocean birds exhibit (Penguins not included as they have their own exhibit), and could you guys recommend sites that show different species for each biogeographic regions. Thanks.

And also, I’ve seen American Black Vultures (Coragyps atratus) at the beach in Cancun, Mexico, would they coexist in a sea enclosure with a wooded area. Would that be sufficent?

2. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd suggest finding the names of protected areas within the specific zones, and then looking for species lists or reports from birders. There used to be a database with eco-regions (WWF, I think) and their species lists, but I'm not sure if that's still maintained.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Just choose first your biogeographic regions, from something so wide as Holarctic to something so restricted as a single mountain, lake or forest. Then just type "birds of" followed by the name of the region in Google, and you will have plenty of lists.