Join our zoo community

Help with aquariums

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by EvilKittie, 10 Jul 2009.

1. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

I am having problems taking photo of species in aquarium! they tend to be all blurry. Its either the fishes are moving to fast or that the water is disrupting the photos.

2. twycrosszoo

twycrosszoo Well-Known Member

Try focussing on one particular fish and trying to focus on it that way- you will find sometimes that a particular fish will always come back to the same spot again, but it does take patience! another method is to step back from the tank a bit and try to do it that way. I have managed to take some really good shots with a digital camera.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It ain't easy. The light is usually poor, so you need a high ISO setting. The glass gets in the way, causes reflections and blocks some autofocus systems completely.
    Experts can get good pictures by using multiple flash set-ups in their own aquariums. But you can't do that in public aquarium.

Alan

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

gentle lemus and twycrosszoo's tips above are very useful, though you may wish to take a look at this webpage which actually improved my aquarium photos (only fractionally - they can't have been too much worse than they are currently :) ):
    Taking Photos at an Aquarium Zoo and Aquarium Visitor

5. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

realy good help guys tyvm!

6. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I find shooting through glass on an angle helps, avoids getting flashes in the shot, a slight trade off in clarity though...

I always make sure I have a completely empty memory card, full batteries (with back ups) before I go as it is a trial and error exercise...

Also be prepared for people to look at you weird when you take a picture of an interesting tank feature or a plain looking fish, you can almost read the other peoples thoughts. "Why isn't he taking a photo of that big, pretty shark swimming right past us"...