Join our zoo community

Help with Fennec Fox open enclosure

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Spider5, 2 Jan 2013.

1. Spider5

Spider5 New Member

Hello everybody and Happy New Year to all!!!

I am from Limassol Zoo in Cyprus.

We will have soon a pair 1,1 of Fennec Foxes and I need the minimum height requirement for the outside enclosure wall in an open exhibit. Also we will put (not sure how they are called) metal sheets around the top of the wall that incline inwards so if the animal climbs the wall it will be stopped as it cannot walk on a near vertical smooth surface. I hope you understand what I mean as I would like some advice on that as well

- How wide should this be?
    - How many degrees incline is needed?
    - Minimum height from the ground to the tip?

Thank you all,

:)

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I have not worked with Fennec Foxes, I have spent a lifetime trying to keep [the much bigger] European Red Foxes out of waterfowl enclosures. A six foot [just under 2 metres] fence with an overhang at the top [45 degree angle of a foot width works] and a foot width of wire turned out at the base of the fence to dicourage digging in. Other people seem to manage well with electric wires of a much lower height. Do you have Eagle Owls in Cyprus? These could be a potential threat to your foxes.

3. Spider5

Spider5 New Member

Thank you for reply!! The zoo is in the city and we only have Barn owls, but the Fennec Foxes will have an indoor enclosure for the night just to be safe!!!

4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You may also contact Augsburg zoo, Germany - they have Fennecs in moated enclosure.

5. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The enclosure in question, sadly you can't see the walls in this picture. But they are not that high. I'd say 1,5 Meters at most.

[​IMG]

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That looks very nice. How do they cope with the general wetness of northern Europe? Here in the UK I don't think I've ever seen them outside.