Join our zoo community

Helping the dream happen help!

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Tober19, 28 May 2015.

1. Tober19

Tober19 New Member

Simply put what is the best way to get the best experience for becoming a reptile keeper?!

I am 19, have a passion for reptiles, and want to be working towards being able to work with them. I already volunteer at my cities zoo in the reptile department. Its great, i love it and will keep doing it as long as i can. However even as i work my way up the tiers of volunteer and can do more and more there are just certain things they cant legally let a volly do. Things like handling our caution level venomous snakes. Working with out large saltwater crocs. So on... The problem is i see them hiring and talking about applicants and they only really consider people with experience handling these types of animals. If i cant get experience with them because im not on the payroll, but can't get on the payroll because i dont have experience with them im not sure what i can do. I here allot of them started teaching themselves out in the bush finding and handling wild snakes but i just feel that going and finding a wild taipan (i live in queensland australia) and messing with it isnt the best way to go about things. Anyone got any helpful tips, trick, and advice? Thanks!

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

1. College degree.
    2. (Probably should be #1 really) Learn grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

3. Tober19

Tober19 New Member

I am looking to go to uni when i can afford it however 90% of the staff at my local zoo have no degree and they value experience 100% over paperwork. Speaking to people who DO have degrees in the field i know i get the impression it offers very little experience benefits and the degree itself helps very little in finding work. As far as the grammar and such goes. I am more than capable, however this is the internet and thus i do not typo check proof read if i dont have to. Also its late night/early morning hours here. Thank you for the response though. :)

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Firstly, remember it will be capitalisation not capitalization for you in Australia! :p

Secondly, A degree is always useful, so if you can do it, then do. However one phrase in life is usually true, its not what you know, its who you know . So keep friendly with the senior staff and work hard and let those at the zoo who have a say in things (like recruitment) know that you are keen as mustard, box clever and befriend the people you need to so you can get the job you want.

5. Tober19

Tober19 New Member

Schools have been teaching both as acceptable for some 5 years here now. ;) I dont have as problem with that however the fact "fishes" and "sheeps" have also become something the cant mark you down for i struggle with believing! hahaha

Yeah a degree is one of my goals for sure. Study is something I enjoy and if its a subject im passionate about then why not! Not to mention the benefits of immigration help if i ever want to move to another country. The "good old who you know"... All too true. :) I guess its just networking and above all PERSISTENCE. Plus i know allot of them go out "herping" in the field in their own time so if i could tag along sometime and learn it outside of the legal boundaries of the zoo its a win. Thanks for the replies. :p

6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

How standards world wide have slipped :D

I'm personally fine with fishes, but sheeps..? (sheeps is underlined red as I type!)
    Good luck with the keepers job!